Waterproof

Soundcheck

The patterns on the wood counter was twisting and turning into a mess, as i stared at them, my mind not coping at all. The sound of a kettle whistling sounded like screams to my ears, reflecting what i wanted to do deep inside. my fingers were tapping on my thigh, as though playing the piano frantically. It felt like ants were all over my body, not letting me sit still. Of course i cant after what he said. Ahhhh crap...

"You alright there?"

The question snapped me back to reality, unfortunately. I looked up at the man causing me worry, casually making my coffee. He had a slight grin on his face, as though enjoying these moments of my torture. Itried biting my lips, in an effort not to say anything. With his back turned towards me, I couldn't help but flip him off. 

"Wow an idol flipping someone off. Thats a sight to see."

He looked up at the metal holding just at his eye level, reflecting me and my finger perfectly. He started laughing heartily as he turned around, placing the last two cups of coffee on the counter. 

"You really can't blame me when you're such a horrible liar! You really got to work on your whole poker face game."

"UUUUUGGHH!"

I plopped my head on the counter, my hands scratching the back of my head. I could feel a headache crawling up the back of my skull. This was not supposed to happen. And just before work too...

"Relax"

"What?"

I peeped through my fingers, eyes scrunching into a frown. He wasn't looking at me, instead washing the cups used to make the coffee.

"You worried about me knowing right? Relax. I'm not gonna say anything. You're not the first gay idol i know of."

"I'm sorry?"

He turned to look at me dead in the eyes, slightly raising his right eyebrow.

"First korean one, but not the first gay idol."

he nodded a couple of times before turning his attention back to the cups. He started humming a small tune as i continued staring at him, still processing what he was saying, even if they were in korean. 

"So... you're not going to say anything? About me being.."

"Relax, i won't. And i won't say anything to Ami either."

He had a slight chuckle as he said the last few words, as though enjoying himself again. I didn't realise i was glaring at him till he looked up and noticed my expression.

"Well i suppose I could help hook you up with her the next time we meet."

He hung the last few cups on the drying tack before leaning against the counter, wiping his hands on his apron. He bent down to pull out a couple of take away bags for the coffee, finally standing directly in front of me. Even with me sitting on a tall chair, i still had to look up at him.

"Wait, you mean she's like me?"

"Don't know. Was never interested in her love life. I DO know she's had a number of female admirers. Still do."

He packed the coffee up and slid them to one side, and resting his hands on the counter, putting his weight on them. He had big smile plastered on his face, as thought lying about what he just said. He knows more than he lets on. 

"Now you can ask her more questions when you meet her the next time. I'm not in any position to be giving out any other information to you."

Of course he is. 

"ANd what do you want in return?"

"First, 15 bucks for the coffee."

He had his hand out, waiting for payment. I just handed him the company's card.

"Man, ya'll lucky to have a compay card"

He sounded sarcastic, and yet, for some reason, i felt that hint of guilt. He still had that -eating grin on his face, and yet the corners of his mouth weren't as stretched out as it was previously. His eyes were glazed over, as thought reminiscing. When he handed the card back to me, the poker face was back on, showing none of the chinks i saw. Beneath the card was a paper, with a number on one side, and directions on the other. 

"And this is?"

"One is my number, so you can ask me what you want about Ami when you want. And the other is my condition. You're going back to NihonTV right? Look for this room and this person. Tell him to call me."

"How'd you know i was going back there?"

"This is the only coffee shop in miles.It;s why i started working here in the first place. I used to know the owner back when i used to have perfomances in NihonTV."

Again i heard a sint of sadness and guilt as he said those words, but it was so well hidden under all that nonchalance, you would have missed it. 

"Right. sure, ill go look for this Osamu guy. I'm surprised your condition didn't involve Mina one bit. I was pretty sure you had something for her."

"Well, i suppose we'll have to see if it'll come down to that."

***************

I watched as Jungyeon left the cafe, the sound of bells in the air. Just as she left, another regular customer came in, totally ignoring the closed sign. 

"Oi Yuka! It says we're closed!"

"But you let that person in!"

"Yeah well she's someone i know"

"And so am I."

"She's an idol"

"And so am I"

"She's not annoying."

"Fair enough. Now get me my latte. I'm apparently meeting a bunch of korean idols later and I'm so not ready."