White Lighters

Soundcheck

I stared at my phone, as my conversation with Jungyeon ended. I could still hear the commotion inside the studio, so I decided to take a longer break. I sat on the staircase, letting the tobacco warm my body up. The thought of being her wingman stood out in my thoughts, and it just seemed so ridiculous to me. A slight chuckle escaped my lips, laughing at the absurdity of the agreement. She must really like Ami if shes willing to do all this. 

The slight buzz of my phone distracted me from my thoughts, humming against the iron steps of the stairs.

-I'm gonna pass your number over to Mina. You owe me one for this.

The text message stood out like bright colours in front of me. Guess she's really banking on this deal. I didn't bother replying, leaving it on read like i usually do. Just as i turned my phone off, the studio doors opened, letting the hot air inside escape into the cold spring night. 

"Oh there you are."

Jun came out, coffee in hand and a packet of cigarettes in the other.

"What's up?"

"I don't think we can record anything tonight. Ami's smashed as hell right now."

He sat next to me, lighting up a cigarette of his own. I looked at him, cocking an eyebrow up. Jun wasn't exactly a non-smoker, but it was pretty rare to see him smoke anywhere outside our apartment.

"So what's the deal?"

"What?"

"My cigarettes. You never smoke outside the house."

A small sigh escaped his lips as he took a sip of his coffee.

"Should i ask her out?"

"Who Nayeon?"

"Nah, the other one. The one with the big eyes."

I blinked a couple of times, trying to remember who he was talking about. He looked at my confused expression, as though i was some kind of idiot.

"The one you talked to about booking the venue ."

"Aaahhhhh, the leader. Uhhhhh Jihyo i think?"

"Yeah, Jihyo. Should I ask her out?"

"Wait I thought you liked that bunny girl?"

My mind was spinning, trying match the names to the faces. Doesn't help that i don't remember either. I could barely remember the Jihyo girl, let alone this bunny girl.

"I dunno man, it's just, they're both cute. But the first thing that comes to my mind are her eyes. I don't know if thats a good thing or not, but i want to confirm it."

He looked down at the metal gratings beneath our feet, his eyes unfocused on what was in front of him. He had a confused look on his face, but it wasnt negative. He looked like a kid trying to decide what to choose in a candy shop. The smoke wafting in the air partially obscured his face, hiding the slight grin on his face.

"Stop fantasizing ya lil dip. Anyway, why ask me and not Seiya. He's the fuccboi of the group."

"But you're the one with the idol track record."

He looked at me with an irksome grin on his face, as though he didn't say anything wrong. My hands reacted faster than my mind, swinging to smack the back of his head. His laughter echoed throughout the stairwell, bouncing off the walls and disappearing into the night. I just kept quiet, a silent sigh escaping my lips as I inhaled another puff of nicotine. As his laughter died down, he noticed my silence. I could feel the guilt rising as he placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry man... i thought you were over it by now."

"Nah I'm sorry. I thought i was too."

We sat there, the silence overcoming us. The sound of traffic couldn't even fill the silence, slowly starting to feel suffocating.

"i saw their ad. They already reached 19 singles. Can you imagine that?"

I tried to lift the mood, trying to force a smile. 

"I heard. She got co-center this time didn't she?"

I merely nodded, trying to be happy for her.

"And Erika?"

The sudden mention of her name stung me, deep where i didn't think i could. My jaws tightened, gritting my teeth trying to supress the sudden pain in my throat. My head slowly shook, trying to find an answer.

"I.. don't know. I didn't see her this time."

The ashes from the cigarettes fell to the ground, sifting throught the metal grates and dissipating into the air. 

"You should really stop this sabbatical of yours. It's not gonna help you heal."

His words felt heavy, trying to make their way into my mind. I wanted to agree with him, to understand, but the wall i built in my heart just didn't want to accept it.

"Look it wasn't anyone's fault. And with how things are looking up, and where we're heading for, We're bound to see those two again. If you're still acting this way when we meet them, they'll feel even more hurt and you wouldn't want that now would you."

He stood up as he said that, butting the cigarette but under his foot as he stood up. 

"You've punished yourself enough as it is. It's time you move on and start being happy. It's what the two of them would have wanted."

He opened the door again, the warmth of the room thawing me out as his words did. And just as he said that, my phone buzzed once again, a new message coming in.

-Hi, It's me, Mina. Jungyeon passed your number to me. So this is my contact number, not hers. Please treat me well.

A slight crack appeared on my lips. That Jungyeon... She works fast. Guess I'll have to fulfill my end of the bargain. I dusted off the ashes off my pants, walking into the studio.

"Hey Ami! You want to talk to that cute fan of yours?"