Nicotine

Soundcheck

I stood under the streetlamp, my breath visible under the light. I took out my phone, scrolling down my contact list to look for Jun's number. Just as i was about to dial his number, the sound of the club doors opening made me stop to look back. Out came all three, Jun and Seiya trying to support a dead drunk Ami in between them. She had her jacket wrapped around her waist, her hair tied in a neat bun for some reason. If it wasnt for her red cheeks and the smell of alcohol, you would have just thought she was asleep. 

"Hell took you so long? The party ended half an hour ago."

I slipped my phone back into my pocket, looking at Jun for answers.

"Sorry man. We were looking for you and the moment me and Seiya took our eyes off of her, She was practically gone. Thank god the manager found her sleeping in the waiting room."

"You didn't get my message? I said i was gonna go to the store to get some meds."

"NAh man. Phone died halfway through the party. Was too busy exchanging contacts. I've got alot to discuss with you man."

"Yeah well first things first. How we going home?"

We stood there, stumped at the new problem. All four of us were pretty much intoxicated, so driving was out of the question. We couldn't call a driver or a cab cause of the equipments. Before we could think of anything, Ami lurched forward, suddenly awake. 

"Oh fu-"

Before she could finish, she stumbled forward to the side of the road, vomitting out all the liquor out onto the road.

"Goddammit Ami! I told you not to drink so much!"

Seiya, the good brother that he was, stood behing her, tapping her back hard trying to help her. I turned to Jun, who was looking at the two of them as though regretting letting them go to the party. He noticed me looking, and just gave me ' Now what' look. I turned around, scratching my head while trying to think of a solution. Seems like god was helping, cause there it was.

"Stay here and help her. I'm gonna go book us a room there at that hotel."

I crossed over to the other side of the street, taking out my wallet. I flipped through the wads of cash in it, trying to calculate just how much it would cost me. I looked at my credit card and tried to remember just how much i had left in my bank, and how much this would kill me for this months budget. Ah crap. Guess its another month of stale bread and cup ramen. 

As i walked up to the counter, i was too busy with my own thoughts to notice the woman walking right up to me before it was too late. 

"Ah . I'm sorry! i wasn't paying atten-"

I looked up to the person i bumped into, finally noticing just just who i bumped into. My voice trailed off, too shocked about the current situation. 

"Yuiri... Hi... How've yo-" 

Before i could finish, i could feel something connect with my cheek before everything turned black.

*************************

I rubbed the bag of ice, letting the cold soothe the burning pain on my right cheek. I glanced at the person in front of me, standing by the dressing table and heating up more towels in the microwave. She had her back turned towards me but i could feel the anger from the way her back was tense. The tension in the air was suffocating, but i guess i was the only one who felt that way because she was definitely ot trying to break the tension. Guess i should.

"It's been awhile Yuiri. Nice to se-"

"Shut up. i'm still pissed off with you right now."

I instatly clammed up, the moisture in my mouth quickly disappearing.

"Right... Sorry."

At that, she quickly turned around, slamming the wet towel in her hand down onto the table.

"Sorry? That's all you've got to say?! You disappeared for months and all you've got to say is sorry?!"

"Sorry..."

The stinging in my cheeks were too distracting for me to focus on what she said. I tried moving the ice pack around more, trying to ease the pain.

"Did you really have to punch me tho?"

"What do you think?"

She crossed her arms, her tone sarcastic and full of venom, stinging my in all the wrong places.

"Look you know why I went radio silent. You know what happened."

"Yes but that didn't mean you had to cut off ties with me! I'm your best friend damn it."

She threw the hot towel at me, trying to relieve the rising anger in her. It landed on my lap, making me jolt up onto my feet.

"At least Jun kept in contact with my but you couldn't even send ONE text message? Not even a call??"

At the mention of Jun, i couldn;t help but let out a small grunt. I can't believe that dude betrayed me, We agreed to keep her in the dark together.

"I didn't want to worry you."

"You didn't want to worry me? Well genius, all you DID  was make me worry!"

"Look you gotta understand, i needed time. It wasn't a good time for us, both of us, and you know damn well i wasn't in any position to be positive enough to 'keep in contact'. I was just going to end up hurting you."

I tried to reason with her, trying to explain myself but all it did was make her roll her eyes, clicking her tongue. There she goes again.

"Oh enough of that self-pity bullcrap. You just wanted to run away and we both know it."

She looked at me as she said that, stinging me to the core. She leaned against the dressing table, her fingers tapping, her arms crossed. 

"Look if you're here to just rip into me, we can do this another day. i need to book a room for the rest. I don't have the time to argue with you tonight."

I tried to leave but before i could take a step forward, she was in front of me, pushing me back onto the bed with just one push.

"Forget it. i already booked rooms for them. You can just stay here. I already talked to Jun when he walked into the hotel."

She walked back to the dressing table, pulling the chair out and turning it to face me. I sat up on the bed, picking up the bag of ice again and rubbing it on my face.

"Again did you really have to punch me? IT freaking hurts!"

She place her hand on her forehead, rubbing her temples.

"Just why do i still put up with you..."

"Cause you love me."

"I am NOT in the mood right now." She had her hand up, still rubbing her temples.

"Look I'm sorry, alright. What else do you want me to say. 'Oh forgive me dear Saint Yuiri blessed goddess of the universe'?"

She kept quiet, her hand covering her face. I couldn't tell whether she was trying to supress her anger, or her laughter. I could never tell with her. She was just as good with poker faces as I am. She finally let out a long sigh, before taking a look at me.

"So? What have you been doing?"

"Well, a couple of tours, couple of lives in bars, just released a single i guess. but still agentless and no way to promote our single. But ill find a way."

"I can help you know."

"Its fine."

She suddenly let out a frustrated cry, her hands up in the air.

"UGH again with that bad habit of yours!"

i stared at her, unsure what she was talking about.

"Oh don't give me that dumb look. You know exactly what I'm talking about. That dumb habit of yours to reject every offer of help, thinking you can handle it yourelf."

" That's cause i can!"

"You can't! It's exactly because you can't that you're still in this position you're in! Hell if it wasn't for help from Mr ara, you wouldn't even still be in a band. You NEED help so why can't you just accept it."

"Is cause i depended on others that we're even in this situation."

i could only say that in a low voice, trying to fight the anger inside me. Memories of what happened came flooding back, bad flashes of memories playing like some horror film reel in my head. I shook my head, trying to shake away those memories. My eyes glanced back at Yuiri on the chair, a look of disappointment on her face, as though hurt by what I said.

"Well enough is enough. I'm stepping in to help as your friend. Im calling Mr Akimoto."

"Yuiri wait-"

"No waits no buts. Just sit down and it up. Youre getting my help whether you like it or not."

She stood up and walked off to the toilet, dialing her boss's number. There was nothing i could do to stop her. I could only let a sigh, my shoulders suddenly feeling extremely heavy. I need a smoke. 

I walked out to the balcony, lightint one up and letting the nicotine fill my lungs. I must be reak stressed cause the nicotine wasn't having as strong as an effect as it usually does. Guess i'll have more than one. I took another puff, the smoke scathing my throat. I heard the subtle sound of her footsteps coming up behind before the sound of the sliding door made me turn around. Yuiri walked out, her arms crossed and her jacket on.

"It;s done."

"Yuiri..."

"Relax, you're just meeting a representative from Sony, nothing more. I didn't ask them to sign you just like that. I know you;d hate that and wouldn't even turn up."

She put on her jacket, slinging her hand bag onto her shulder. 

"Next week, Friday at Shibuya. Bring your demos. And bring one of your new songs. It'll help."

She took a step forward, and started poking my chest.

"You better go. Or else."

After the last poke, she suddenly grabbed the cigarette in my hand, butting it out on the ashtray.

"ANd stop smoking. You know how much i hate it when you smoke around me."

She stood in front of me, looking up at me. I looked down into her eyes, admiring those brown irises. I felt sorry, for causing all that worry.Before i could say anything, she turned around, ready to leave. I watched her walk towards the balcony door when she suddenly stopped in her tracks. She clenched her fists a couple of times, before letting a frustrated grunt. I steadied myself, getting ready for another punch. She quickly turned around, making me close my eyes. i felt her hand grab me by the collar, pulling me downwards when i felt a familiar sensation on my lips. The familiar taste of cherries filled my mouth and just as quickly as it happened, it left my lips just as fast. My eyes remained closed, not surprised at what happened. In fact, it's been awhile. My eyes slowly opened, watching as her back slowly walked away. 

"Ugh i hate that nicotine taste."