KEEP ME SANE

MORE THAN WHAT THE UNIVERSE CAN SEE

"What do you mean by that, Jimin-ah?"

Taehyung put down his bread and asked. Jimin smiled towards his bestfriend.

"I said we'll travel"

Jimin said

"I'll be back on duty after a week. Let's go somewhere"

Jimin continued and Taehyung choked even without something being stuffed and stuck on his mouth.

"You're overreacting"

Jimin said and laughed towards Taehyung. It's been a month since Jimin was discharged from the hospital. It was a fast recovery, the doctors said. Maybe because he fought so hard to be able to see Jungkook - but he was already gone. His letter was the only thing left. Taehyung kept it despite despising Jungkook for a short while. Taehyung saw how sweet of a brother Jungkook is, and maybe that's the reason why he gave the younger's letter to Jimin.

But life never got better for Jungkook after he returned to the home he used to say home. He remembered almost three-fourths of the memories he had and went back naturally to his everyday life. Hoseok did proved himself to Gwang Taek but proving himself was just a piece. He didn't found himself yet.

"Jungkook-ah!"

Hoseok called out and Jungkook raised his head and put down the pails to greet his hyung. Hoseok went down and help Jungkook carry the pails.

"I told you. Wake me up so that I can help you"

Hoseok reminded

"And I told you, you'll be cooking for the whole village. You can't be tired"

Jungkook rebutted and both laughed. Sometimes, Hoseok would hesitate to ask the younger if he's doing fine and okay. Sometimes, he would just naturally slip his tongue and Jungkook would just chuckle and replays the same exact words he says, or rather repeat the same excuses he had already put on a CD on his brain. And there was this one night, they talked after dinner on top of twin trees near the river.

"I remembered that pale guy"

Hoseok started

"Ah, Yoongi hyung"

Jungkook answered

"Yoongi"

Hoseok repeated his name as it's the first time he knew the man's name

"He's Jimin hyung's superior. He is a Major General. He gives instructions often but Jimin hyung would make him fluster at times"

Jungkook narrated and Hoseok nods his head as he is listening thoroughly. Jungkook noticed and as because he misses them, he continued to tell Hoseok more. Coming from the very first time he met Jimin down to every single detail of their Japan trip before things got worse.

"Jungkook-ah"

Hoseok called the younger's attention

"Uhm?"

Jungkook replied

"Do you, at least, for once, want to see how Jimin is doing?"

Hoseok asked sincerely. Jungkook looked at the older and without an answer, Hoseok already knew, but the answer the younger gave was the opposite.

"I know he is doing fine by now. No need to do that, hyung"

Jungkook said and prepared himself to go down the tree.

"The troop is planning for another battle. This time, it's because of the commemoration of the aerial bombing.  They are expecting Team Beta, Jimin's troop"

Hoseok warned and Jungkook looked at him in confusion

"Why are you telling me this?"

Jungkook asked but Hoseok did not responded. He doesn't know the reason as well, so it's better to shut his mouth up. Jungkook would like to ask more but Hoseok already went down of the tree and walked his way to his house.

Jungkook went down as well, but instead of going home, he walked the long way out of the woods and saw the street again where cars are passing by. He wanted to go back, but will doing that change something? No, he is still an enemy of the country Jimin is protecting so dearly.

While wandering his gaze, a car stopped in front of him across the street. A man came off of it and Jungkook hid immediately. Quietly watching, Jungkook tried not to give any sound of his breathing or excitement - because the man is his most missed person - Park Jimin.

Wearing his military uniform, Jungkook adored the man more. How cool is he and how handsome-looking is he was way more than what his mind can decipher. For a moment, he felt like he took a drooz to be able to feel floating around, flying high in the sky and an undeniable ecstacy of emotions.     

Jimin looked towards Jungkook's direction, sensing that someone is looking at him. He finished his business and crossed the street to check whatever it is, holding the gun at his side calmly, being ready at any attack that will be made. Jungkook on the other hand, wanted to run away, but his feet was locked and his eyes are just glued on the incoming Captain.

"Is somebody there?"

Jimin asked. Jungkook tried his best not to make any sound, and even held his breath for the time being that Jimin is just exactly right in front of him. He was hiding there, silently, like an innocent captive who just escaped from the prison cell. Jimin started walking away, and finally Jungkook can breath. The sudden change in emotions he had made him feel like he could faint anytime. But it never ended there. The Captain heard the tiniest decibel of Jungkook's breathing, walked back and grabbed the collar of the younger.

And now they're standing face to face. Jungkook's eyes widened, his breathing literally stopped again, his heart is beating wildly due of the shock, excitement and the fluttery. Jimin on the other hand looked calm as he slowly releases Jungkook. His eyes were blank but inside him is a total chaos. Anger, Fear, Happiness, Sadness and Disgust are in red alert - if Inside Out really happens.

The two remained silent, just looking at each other's eyes, sending messages of greetings and questions. It was enough at the moment. To know that each of them are doing just fine. To know that there is a link between their two different worlds in the same planet they exist. If such thing such as virtual-reality coexistence, that must have been what they are in now. To see each other face to face, so close but it feels so far and virtual.

Misery isn't the right word to describe the scene. Such miserable happenings that happened to them isn't miserable enough to be called a misery where they will bawl their eyes out and cry. Ill-fated can be. And that certain kind of feeling where they both want to get away from this is most likely highly possible. Perhaps, the stars above them now are telling them that. But the ground beneath are what's locking them up, and the sudden sound of the Captain's phone, ringing and signaling him to stop being drowned into the eyes of the younger. So he did answered, without releasing his eye's grip on the other.

"Captain Park, speaking"

Jimin spoke

"I told Taehyung to cancel your plan. Three days from now is an expected battle to happen between us and the rebels"

Yoongi spoke on the other line. The phone's volume was enough for Jungkook to hear everything.

"And?"

Jimin shortly replied, even though already sensing the order Yoongi will give him, and the upcoming end to what's supposed to be just a new beginning of his life after the accident. Jungkook's eyes were calm, as if not understanding what was the other is trying to say.

"The higher ups requested five teams. Yoo Sijin's, Lee Hyun's, Namjoon's, mine and yours. Will you accept it?"

Yoongi asked. Jungkook's eyes widened this time. Hoseok's prediction was true. They are indeed expecting Jimin's troop. But what that older said shook him more and took a step back.

"I don't have a choice"

Jimin replied and hanged up. He made the last glance and turned his back away from the younger, who is still left in awe. He will face him again, and this time, knowing him for real.

"H-hyung"

Jungkook called and Jimin halted. Hearing the younger say those words heightened the tight feelings he has inside his stomach - to decline the order and to run towards the younger.

"I'm staring at you"

Jungkook said. Jimin closed his eyes, trying to stop his own feet and his own body not to look back and not to take a step closer to the younger.

"Why am I born as your enemy? I'm going nuts because of this, hyung"

Jungkook continued as Jimin decided to listen, his ears are attentive, his mind is fully awake and is getting ready to take the words the younger will say towards him.

"Don't you really have a choice, hyung?"

Jungkook asked, his eyes are welling up and one more word will let the tears teasing to fall down to finally fall. Jimin gulped. He has another choice. An irrational, childish and against his principle choice. Surely, by doing that, his father will disown him in heaven, Seokjin will hurt him physically and cry, Namjoon will cuss at him, Yoongi will drop the charges towards him and will dump it to his own self, and Taehyung. He will lose Taehyung if he will choose the other choice.

"I hate this. I have two choices, hyung. To fight against you"

Jungkook spoke again, this time, his tears finally fell and Jimin heard the resounding sniff that made his heart ache.

"Do you want to know the other one?"

Jungkook asked but Jimin breathed deeply and took steps forward, leaving Jungkook but not far enough not to hear what the younger said.

"To stare at you forever"

Jungkook yelled, enough to make the Captain halt again. And the sobs became cries from the younger. Jimin, clenched his fists and turned around, seeing how a mess the younger is.

"I can give up everyone behind me, hyung. Can't you see it?!"

Jungkook shouted at the top of his lungs and wiped forcely his face that's covered with tears.

"But I guess you can't do the same, hyung"

Jungkook said. Jimin was about to step forward and run towards the younger, but the next words that was given was more than enough reason to shatter him as well.

"You can kill me at the battlefield. I'll stand in front of you and stare at you, hyung. Shoot me yourself before others do it"

Jungkook said

"I want you to kill me yourself, hyung"

Jungkook continued

"That's the only way I can escape from you"

And he flew off. Leaving a dumbfounded Captain, looking at where Jungkook was. He just stayed there. Almost lifeless. His eyes are releasing quiet tears. His heart shredding. How can the younger make such remarks? How can the younger give himself in and surrender? His thoughts were broken as his phone made a ring again.

"Jimin-ah!!! Where are you? Father's here right now!"

Taehyung said but the only response he got from the Captain was this:


"How can I kill him, Tae? How can I ing kill him?!"


Jimin shouted and broke off.