The Annoying Professor

The Midnight Class

“Class dismissed. Except for Song Hyemi, Choi Minah, Park Seohee, and Kim Su-min.”

 

      We all let out exasperated groans as the rest of the class filed out. It wasn’t uncommon for my friends and I to be called after class by Professor Kim, we had a tendency of coming in late... Following him to the office, we got severely scolded about how “attendance is important” and to “pass you need every minute of the lecture.” The same thing every time, but luckily this time was cut short as another professor popped in reminding Professor Kim of the staff meeting. Once the door closed the teaching aide let out a sigh.

 

“Can’t you guys come to class on time? You’re making more work for me.”

 

      Shim Taesun was very chill compared to the professor he aided and he was a blessing to the students that got on the professor’s bad side, like us. He was a couple of years older than us and would be graduating next spring. Minah has the biggest crush on him, although she would deny everything, so we ended up being pretty close with him.

 

“Sorry sunbae,” We all said in unison.

 

“We wouldn’t be a bother if Professor Kim wasn’t so picky with attendance. It’s not like we fail or anything, he just keeps nagging us,” Seohee complained.

 

      Taesun looked tired, more tired than a normal college student would be. Maybe it was preparing for graduation because he has been looking progressively tired for a while now. Looking at Minah to see if she noticed, she must have because she up and asked him a moment later.

 

“Taesun-sunbae are you okay? You seem tired.”

 

“I’m fine, my friend just needs a favor and it is not a one person job.”

 

“If it isn’t any trouble maybe we can help.”

 

      At those words, the three of us looked at Minah as if she lost her mind. We were barely getting by with work and studying and now she wanted to add this? Su-min and I made eye contact, having a silent agreement that we need to protest this. Before she could utter a word the relief that lit up his face sealed her lips again. Seohee seeing that we couldn’t back out anymore, decided to add a condition.

 

“In exchange we get access to your old notes for this class,” Minah nudged her but Seohee stood her ground.  

 

“I was waiting for one of you to give me a catch, it’s unlike you four to be so nice, but deal. Come to this address at… 11:45pm. I’ll tell you the details there,” He instructed as he scrawled an address on a piece of paper and handed it to us.

 

      That was pretty late for some favor but we took no mind in it, instead we targeted Minah. We to be so willingly to help Taesun-sunbae and also complained about the added workload but at least we aren’t alone so it shouldn’t be too bad, right? We all met at the given address after our classes and part-time jobs, unsure of what would come from this. The time of this meet up finally sunk in as we looked at the dark empty streets and we were all unsure if this was a smart choice. My hands played with my necklace as we anxiously waited for Taesun to arrive. He arrived shortly after us with a thankful grin.

 

“So why are we here?” Su-min asked.

 

“Come in and find out,” Taesun-sunbae answered cryptically.

 

      He entered a rather large building that still seemed to be new. Following after him, we entered what looked to be a dance studio. We passed by multiple rooms of varying sizes which all contained walls of mirrors and wood floors adorned with scuff marks from their continued use. Taesun navigated through the building easily and soon we were in front a door with “office” painted creatively across the door. The door was open and there sat a man who seemed to be in his mid-twenties with his brown hair styled in a combover watching his computer screen intently.

 

“Hyung.”

 

“Oh. Taesun-ah! Long time no see. I didn't notice you there,” The man said coming in for a bro hug.

 

“Always captivated by your work I see,” Once the man pulled away, his eyes wandered to us.

 

“So they're the helpers you were talking about?”

 

“Yup. They're durable kids so anything you need, they can help,” We all looked at Taesun-sunbae in disbelief. What was going on here?!

 

“Sunbae-nim… What are we doing here exactly?” Seohee asked curiously.

 

“My friend here needed some help maintaining his studio but he doesn’t have the money to pay part-time workers so I’ve been helping and now you guys will,” Taesun-sunbae explained.

 

“So what exactly will we be doing?” Su-min questioned.

 

“You'll help organize costumes, clean the dance rooms, make props… you get the idea,” the man expained.

 

“What are we doing today… sunbae?” I asked, not sure how to address him.

 

“Sunbae is fine,” He said leaning against his desk.

 

“Okay. I'll leave them in your care,” Taesun-sunbae said while walking out. We bid him goodbye before turning to the man in front of us.

 

“Okay. Since we will be seeing each other more often let's introduce ourselves. I am Kang Jiyong,” He said while giving us an encouraging look.

 

“I’m Song Hyemi.”

 

“Choi Minah.”

 

“Park Seohee.”

 

“Kim Su-min.”

 

“Okay, now that we’re introduced let’s jump right in. There is so much to do. Hmmm… Hyemi and Minah will be in charge of organizing costumes, Seohee and Su-min will clean dance rooms 1 and 4.”

 

       He gave us a quick tour of the studio, pointing out the dance rooms and other rooms, making sure we knew where to go for our “job”. After finishing, he entered dance room 2 where a class was waiting. I looked at my watch… A midnight class? With a shrug we all left to our designated areas and the costume room was a sight to behold. Costumes were stacked in messy piles scattered around the room as if a tornado flew through. Casting a glance at Minah I could tell she was just as shocked. We decided to divide and conquer in order to get things done quickly. Men’s costumes would be my section and Minah would be in charge of the women’s. After taking who knows how long to finally organize all the pants and shoes by size and color, a break was needed. No more than five minutes passed before Seohee caught my attention. Her figure struggled to carry a large case of water and my body moved to aid her as my “mom-friend” instincts kicked in.

 

“Park Seohee, why didn't you ask for help if you couldn't carry it?” I scolded.

 

“ Jiyong-sunbae called out to me while I went to go get cleaning supplies and asked me to get the water bottles. He said there was a cart but I couldn’t find it and everyone was busy… sorry,” she pouted.

 

“Aish. Here, I’ll help. Dance room 2 right?”

 

      We arrived just as Jiyong-sunbae finished running choreography. Jiyong-sunbae released them for a water break and the dancers came rushing over. We quickly distributed the waters but a particular group that lingered towards the back of the mass caught my eye. The shortest one looks familiar. Have I seen him before? As they came closer, it finally clicked in my mind. The boy was a regular at the diner me and the girls work at on the weekends. His name is... Lee Chan...I think. He always stops by to talk to some of the other staff… As I was lost in thought I didn't realize that the four had approached me until one cleared his throat, snapping me out of my thoughts.

 

“Oh sorry,” I said sheepishly, handing them the last of the water bottles.

 

      As they walked away my eyes couldn’t help following the one who cleared his throat. He was the tallest of the group and as Chan said something his lips curved into the most breathtaking smile I had ever seen. Before I knew it, the corners of my own lips starting to curve into a smile as well. Upon realizing what my mouth was doing I quickly snapped out of it and looked away, the tip of my ears burning. Seohee left as class began again but my body urged me to linger a bit longer. My eyes watched as they all began to run through the choreography once more. My feet began to shift with the music and I forced myself to pull my gaze from the dancers and go back to organizing the costumes.

 

      By 1:30am the four of us were finished and completely exhausted. We looked just as tired as the dancers that just finished class as we all exited the building. Once we arrived home, after hailing a cab, I bid the girls goodnight and went to my apartment building across the street from theirs. Today’s events were so draining that by the time my bed was in sight my body collapsed onto it. Right when my head hit the pillow I fell asleep but one thought popped into my mind before I fully fell asleep; the smile from that mysterious boy in the midnight class.