ten

Hearts Don't Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol knows exactly what to expect when he enters the auditorium. All the third years are scattered everywhere while the heads of each department frantically try to keep everyone in check. The combined noise of so many people chattering and shouting all at once is enough to make his eardrums feel like bursting. This is one of the reasons why he isn't fond of the school deciding to leave all the arrangements up to the students. 

Since everyone is supposed to be standing according to their respective departments, Chanyeol has to separate from Baekhyun, Jongdae and Kyungsoo. He makes his way over to the composition majors reluctantly. He isn't particularly close with anybody in his major, except for Jiho, the only blonde haired person he knows and who is also a genius at producing music. Though, there's no sign of him today.

Standing at the back of the group as everyone begins to settle down and actually heed orders from the heads, Chanyeol's attention travels from the continuous cheering of the music performance majors on his left to the dance majors on the right. As if by chance, he catches you standing at the back of your group too, avoiding the noise. He wonders if you can feel his stare on you because the moment he looks at you, you make eye contact with him.

Chanyeol has to hold back a million boiling questions he wants to bombard at you. At this rate, he has become too curious. He takes his phone out of his pocket and  is ready to type everything in his head, but stops. She's not going to tell me anyway... He hangs his head low while holding his thumb on the delete button for the longest time. He glances at your expression, the usual neutral face. Still, you could be hiding your emotions and he wants to know. 

Without wasting anymore time, he sends you a message.

 

   Did your group decide anything yet? 8:32 am

8: 32 am No... at this rate, we're going to be stuck here until evening 

 Lol that's true  8: 33 am

       By the way, are you free? 8:33 am

8:33 am Yeah, why??? 

Chanyeol stares at you and sees you mouthing at him while showing him your phone. His face starts to turn red at the realisation that he has been staring at you for too long without replying. He has no idea what he's going to ask you, but an idea pops up in his mind when he notices your profile picture.

 

 Have coffee with me after this? It's my treat. 8: 36 am

8:36 am If it's your treat, I'm in! hehe 

 

 

Finally, after what feels like forever, all the third years have finished drawing lots. Chanyeol waits outside the auditorium, staring at the piece of paper in his hand that reads 'serving'. This is his first time he's ever picked this and judging from Jongin and Sehun's stories, girls are going to be crowding around him. He leans against the wall, turning his head to check if you are amongst the many third years coming out. 

Chanyeol spots you a few seconds later, caught in the crowd. You are tip toeing, trying to see through the shoulders of the tall boys in front of you for any sign of him. He smiles in amusement, before stepping forward and grabbing you by the wrist to pull you out. The first thing that greets him are your widened eyes. 

"Looking for me?" He asks, still keeping the smile on his face. "Let's go. We'll take a short cut."

And so the both of you make a run for it before any of your friends see you. Chanyeol is leading the whole time, through the empty hallways and the schoolyard, until you reach the back gates of campus. During this time, he hasn't realised, but his hand has adjusted to holding yours instead. Although the two of you don't exchange small talk, the air around you is unusually comfortable. Unknowingly, the both of you are smiling from ear to ear. 

Once you arrive at a quaint coffee shop hidden in a neighbourhood alley, Chanyeol pays for your drink and the both of you sit down near the ceiling to floor windows. 

You remember a question you have been itching to ask Chanyeol ever since all of you drew lots. "What are you doing for the spring bazaar?" 

Chanyeol sighs, hesitating for a second. "Serving, at the food stalls, probably. I asked if I could change, but everyone else said no because my face brings in business." At your laugh, he shakes his head. "Anyways, what did you get?"

"Performing... again. I don't get my luck," you complain because you have been getting in the performance team for three years straight.

"Me neither. I guess that's something the both of us have in common," Chanyeol says. "Is it going to be a solo performance?"

"About that... you won't guess who I'm doing it with..." you bury your face in your hands to hide your embarrassment. When you were told who you were going to be paired with, you would have never guessed it would be him.

"Who?" Chanyeol keeps his eyes glued on you as he asks warily.

"I'm doing it with Sehun! I guess I'm lucky in this sense." 

"You're going to dance with Sehun?" Chanyeol raises his voice, almost sounding shocked. "No way, you can't!"

"What's up with you? We're both friends so it's fine."

"I-I mean... isn't it going to be a... sensual dance..." Chanyeol avoids your stare. "I don't know... I'm going to get the coffee." He holds up the vibrating buzzer for you to see before getting out of his seat. 

You are left with an itching urge to ask him about his uncalled for reaction, but you can only watch his tall figure poking the straws of your drinks at the pick up counter. When Chanyeol glances at you, he turns away in an instant as if he is embarrassed to look at you. You wonder if he could be the slightest bit jealous of you dancing with Sehun, since he knows the both of you go back to high school. 

Chanyeol returns, passing your drink. You receive it gratefully since he is the one treating you to free coffee, but when he takes a seat across from you, silence befalls. You scan him, and from the way he is tapping his fingers on the table impatiently, he looks like he is holding back a myriad of questions. If he isn't going to talk, then you figure you should take the initiative. 

You clear your throat, "It's not going to be a sensual dance."

"Oh... That's good    No, I mean    It's not like I care    Ugh, I don't know," Chanyeol shakes his head as he runs a hand through his hair in exasperation. "Just pretend you never heard any of that."

Seeing the embarrassment on Chanyeol's face tugs at the corners of your lips. You don't know why, but the fact that he seems to bothered by this makes your heart skip a beat. To put it simply, Park Chanyeol being jealous is an amusing sight, it is like watching a little boy fussing over a trivial matter. 

Not wanting to linger on the topic, you hold up the coffee cup with a grin. "Thanks for the coffee. Next time, it'll be my treat."

Hearing this, Chanyeol starts to open up again, his jealousy disappears as if a wave has washed it away. "Well... if you're treating, then I should order the most expensive drink next time."

 

 

 

In less than a week, preparations for the spring bazaar begin. Chanyeol barely has time to catch a break, because his scheduled has been packed with all his lectures, assignments and meetings for the bazaar. He hasn't seen you much either, but he knows that it is probably because you have more practice hours now. Sehun hasn't been joining them for lunch much either eventhough it is a routine for him to join them at the cafeteria. He must be busy withone dance practices as well. 

The others have been fairly busy too because all the majors usually get extremely competitive around this time. Rumours have been circulating that the stall who earns the mos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter