[new] twelve

Hearts Don't Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As soon as the words escape Chanyeol's mouth, he finds himself regretting having asked her. He realises how stupid of a question he has asked. Of course, she would still have some feelings left for Baekhyun. After all, her crushon him lasted for three years. Feelings can be cleared, but they still linger for awhile even if you think you've sorted them out. 

Chanyeol panics because now he doesn't want an answer anymore even though he had been itching to ask you this for the whole day. Out of all the answers you could possibly give, he doesn't want to hear one which may even give the slightest hint that you still feel something for Baekhyun. Call him insecure for thinking Baekhyun would have such a deep place in your heart, but he can't bear to take chances.

Just when you open your mouth to answer him, he abruptly raises a hand in front of your face to stop you. "Nevermind, forget I asked."

"Why? I was just going to answer you," you blink in confusion seeing Chanyeol's mood suddenly plummet. "Yah, Park Chanyeol. Look at me." When he doesn't it, you huff and walk over to him. Grabbing his face in your hands, coming in contact with the stray water droplets left on his face, you force him to look in your eyes. 

"Do you, by the tiniest chance..." you trail off softly.

Chanyeol begins getting flustered, averting his gaze elsewhere. "W-what? S-Seo Gayoung, what are you trying to..." His hands slowly raise up to cover his chest.

Just before you manage to ask him the burning question, the both of you hear Yehyun calling to come over. You take a few steps back away from Chanyeol who is still flustered, and you clear your throat. You decide to hold off the question for another time since you aren't dying to ask him now. Even if he does say yes, you don't exactly know what you feel for him. 

"You know, nevermind.  Let's go. They're calling us," you gesture to the direction of the noise of children screaming with your thumb.

You head off first, leaving a dazed Chanyeol behind still covering his chest. What the heck is wrong with her? He frowns as he cups his face in his hands. Do I by the tiniest chance what? One thing about Chanyeol is that he absolutely hates being left in the dark. That ambiguous start of your sentence has him half annoyed and half curious, but if he tries to pry more, he knows you'll berate him for being nosy. 

Chanyeol sighs and brushes it off. 

 

 

The long awaited day of the Spring Festival finally comes. All the students participating arrive early on campus for an assembly by the university principal, who doesn't hesitate to remind all of you about the prize for the major that makes the most sales, before giving words of encouragement. Soon, everyone disperses to set up their stalls, but you don't have to worry about any of that since you are a performer. 

You have spent countless hours the past few weeks with your junior, Lee Taemin, memorising and perfecting the choreography. Your performance is in the late afternnon, after everyone will have finished browsing through all the stalls. Since your university is notorious for its talented students in the arts and heartthrobs... needless to say, the head of the performances is expecting a big turnout.

While you are rushing down the corridoor of the dance building to search for one of the fashion designing students who is in charge of coordinating outfits, you see Park Chanyeol walking in your direction from the other side with Kyungsoo. You begin to slow your steps and at that moment, Chanyeol stops midway in his conversation with Kyungsoo as he meets your eyes. 

You haven't managed to talk to him ever since the orphanage visit. You've been busy with preparation for the performance and haven't had any time to socialise with your friends from other majors either, so it's not like you're singling him out. But, you have to admit that things have become a little awkward between the two of you. Ever since that day, it feels like you have been walking on eggshells around him.

"Ohhh," Kyungsoo grins, flashing his hear-shaped smile, "somebody looks stunning. Go out there and break a leg later, Seo Gayoung."

"My god, stop- I can't take compliments. Don't you dare take any toilet breaks before my performance," you squint your eyes at him as a warning before glancing at Chanyeol. "Hey."

"Hey..." Chanyeol raises a hand at you.

Kyungsoo gives Chanyeol a confused stare and then directs the same one to you. He can't believe it. The atmosphere is so awkward even a five year old can sense it. "What the hell happened between you two? It's so... awkward. You know what? I should leave  "

Chanyeol holds onto the shorter male's arm swiftly, giving him a desperate look with his lips pursed. "Why are you leaving? You said you'd help me carry some boxes to the stall, remember?"

Kyungsoo disregards everything and shakes off his hand. "Well, you're on your own. Happy talking guys!" 

"Soo! Yah!" Kyungsoo takes off before you can grab the hood of his jacket. So in the end, it's just you and Chanyeol in the middle of the hallway standing in silence. Now you know why Kyungsoo left. The two of you don't even know what to say to each other. Come on, Gayoung, don't be stupid and say something. You tell yourself and nod in resolution to start the conversation first. 

"So... I have to go and get ready," you blurt out, "for the performance,"

What the frick is wrong with me?! I hate myself! You feel like falling to the floor and rolling away.  

"Oh, sure. Is it soon? If it is, I'll definitely be there," Chanyeol says. "Of course, I'll make sure to bring Sehun and the rest too."

"It's at three later, so I actually have a lot of time. I was just going to change in to my costume, but you need help right?"You ask him, remembering that Kyungsoo was supposed to help him carry some boxes. 

"Oh, yeah... damn it, Do Kyungsoo..." Chanyeol curses under his breath. "It's just a few boxes to be honest, but if I carry all of them by myself I'll definitely trip over my feet. You don't have to help me if you're busy  "

You press your index finger to your lips,"Shh, just accept help when someone graciously offers it to you." 

Your smile gets wider when you see Chanyeol giving in by shaking his head as the corners of his lips inch upwards. This is a good opportunity for you to clear some of that awkward air. The two of you make your way to the supply closet to grab the boxes of paper plates and cups. On the way, your focus shifts to Chanyeol in his white button up shirt and black apron, which must be the serving uniform for his department's stall. 

Chanyeol looks over at you and notices you staring at him with a smirk on your face. "Why are you staring at me suggestively?"  He brings his apron up in an attempt to cover his stomach area. "Seo Gayoung, you ert."

"What? Did I say anything?" You raise your hands defensively. 

"I know I'm handsome, but still. Don't you know how to subtly look at an attractive guy? I can still feel you staring even from miles away," Chanyeol ruffles your hair so it ends up covering your face.

"Park Chanyeol, one of these days I'm going to shave your head," you glower at the taller male who seems to be unfazed. Am I not intimidating?

"You can try, but you're pretty short so I doubt that," Chanyeol smiles playfully, "Since you're following me to the stall later, I'll ask Jiho hyung to whip up something delicious for you."

"Well, if you insist. It's free food, right?"

 

 

 

Setting down the boxes at the cooking station of the Music Composition Department's stall, you marvel at the vibrant decorations. Silver and gold party streamers hang down from the tents and there isn't a shortage of balloons either. Some students are busy cooking the food to be served later while some arrange the tables and chairs. Everybody is caught up preparing for when the festival begins. 

Earlier, you barely saw anything set up; the tents were plain and empty and there was barely anyone in sight, but now it really is starting to feel like a university festival. There are colourful banners decorating the stalls, advertising an array of things like snacks, games like darts and spinning the wheel and even fortune telling. You're tempted to try every stall there is. 

"Eat this before you go," Chanyeol sets down a plate of tteokbokki in front of you before taking a seat. 

"Thanks," your eyes glimmer at the sight of the tteokbokki as you dig in. "This is art."

"I'll pass the message to Jiho hyung later. Are you good with spice, though? Tteokbokki was the only thing they finished making," Chanyeol asks, concerned. 

"What kind of Korean would I be if I can't handle spicy food? Don't worry, my stomach's made of steel," you assure him, realising that you've declared yourself a big eater. "But... I don't eat that much, really."

"What's wrong with eating a lot? Humans need food to live anyways," Chanyeol rests his cheek on his palm as he stares at you, grinning. "Eat up, before the other girls come and crowd around me."

"You're so full of yourself," you scoff, rolling your eyes. You finish up your tteokbokki and stand up. "Have fun then, I have somewhere to be."

Before you can even leave, Chanyeol leans forward in time to reach his arm out, long fingers wrapping gently around your wrist. He tugs at your arm in hopes that you will turn around to face him. When you don't answer, he tugs one more time and although he doesn't use much strength, it is enough to turn you around so he can get a clear look at your face.

"Wow, you're frowning a lot," Chanyeol remarks amusedly, bending down slightly to match your eye level. "You're jealous, huh?"

"I'm not jealous. Why would I be jealous? It's not like we're dating. I'm just annoyed you're taking up my time when I have somewhere to be," you huff, wondering if you are now angry that Chanyeol is partially right or at the fact that he is showing off. 

"I'm truly sorry, Your Highness. Hence, sentence me to a lifetime in prison and I shall repent for my sins," Chanyeol mimics a manner of Joseon speech like in the historical dramas and raises his hands up to take a formal bow, although it isn't entirely accurate as he doesn't get down on the ground. 

"You're so annoying!" you outstretch your hands because you feel like pulling his hair to teach him a lesson. 

"Okay, okay, I'm really sorry. This time I reall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter