five

Hearts Don't Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Five, six, seven, eight!"

You are in your last dance lecture for the day and your teacher, Ms. Jang has just ordered all of the third years to stand in lines so she can assess everything you have learned the past week. For some reason, this routine is harder than the usual ones since it incorporates techniques of contemporary dance. You have no difficulties with this having asked Jongin to help you hone your moves because of his ballet experience. 

Most of the class seem to be struggling with it and in the middle of your row's execution of the routine, the music comes to an abrupt stop. A silence shrouds the atmosphere of the dance room. You look around and notice that everyone either seems to be looking at two things: Ms. Jang's annoyed face or the floor. You pick to stare at the latter although you really haven't done anything to upset her. 

"You call this dance? Even middle schoolers can do better than what you're showing me right now," She cuts the silence with her harsh words. "I've given you all four days to practice a whole routine before and all of you could do it. Now, I give you a week to practice this routine and it looks like a majority of you are slacking off. It's disappointing, really. You're all third years, some of you even held back, and this is what you give me."

"Sorry, ma'am," the class apologizes in unison. 

"Enough of that," Ms. Jang sighs, "at least I can see that some of you have practised well. Seo Gayoung, come out and show them how it's done."

You widen your eyes. "M-me?" Am I really that good? I'm pretty sure Sunghoon was better than I was...

Hesitantly, you step out. You take a deep breath, knowing that all eyes are on you. There's nothing to be worried about, you've practiced this with Jongin a million times. Once the music starts playing, you let it control your movements. All the moves play in your mind like a rolling movie, when you're dancing it's like adrenaline is being injected inside you. Everyone is staring at your grace, some are smitten and some are in disbelief.

The music comes to an end. Before you realise it, everyone gives you a loud round of applause. Ms. Jang seems satisfied with your performance, nodding in approval. "Now, that is what I want to see. If any of you need advice on how to improve on this routine, kindly ask Gayoung. I expect to see results on Monday next week. Class dismissed."

After Ms. Jang leaves, your peers start approaching you. You gladly answer their questions and in return, almost all of them promise to treat you to lunch. Only someone seems to be unsatisfied. While you are packing, Kwon Woon walks over to you. You know it's him, you sense his unbearable presence behind you. He is probably glaring daggers at you for having overshadowed him.

"Seduced one of the juniors to teach you, huh?" He scoffs. "You really know how to show off."

"And you don't? When you're not even good at dancing?" You snap, this is your first time in awhile you have ever snapped at anyone. "Sunbae," you grit your teeth, "I don't think you're in a place to say anything when you're the one being held back a year."

Maybe you shouldn't have said that to him, but you had to get it off your chest. Kwon Woon is seething with rage while you cautiously take a step back away from him. If you knew his plan was to stay back to insult you when the both of you were alone, you would have made a run for it ages ago. 

"Also, I never seduced anyone. Don't in my life if you don't know , got it?" 

", if your other seniors were here right now to see this, they'd    " Kwon Woon raises his fist, ready to hit you.

Just in time, the door to the dance room opens. Baekhyun stands at the doorway. His eyes shift to Kwon Woon's raised fist directed at you and in the blink of an eye, he is next to you. He stares at you, his eyes are concerned as if he is asking if you are okay through his gaze, his lips are pouted in a frown. Then when he looks at Kwon Woon, his face changes to a steely expression. You can see his jaw clenched in anger.

"Oh, Baekhyun," Kwon Woon smirks, almost deviously.

"Lower your fist, would you? It would be troublesome you made a scene, you know. You'd have a bunch of the school's most popular guys coming for your , and it won't be pretty. Even your connections won't be able to save you then," Baekhyun gestures his chin at his fist. "Let's go, Gayoung-ah."

Baekhyun grabs your wrist, bringing you along with him to wherever. You want to go anywhere, as long as Kwon Woon is out of your sight. He takes you out of the building, on to the wide pathway leading to the fountain. As the two of you walk, Baekhyun lets go of your wrist to thump his fist on your head lightly since you looked zoned out.

"Ow!" you groan. 

"Hey, are you okay?" Baekhyun asks. 

"Yeah, I'm okay. That bastard never learns. Thanks, you came during the right time," you pat his back. 

"Glad to hear that. I almost wanted to beat his soul out of him, but wouldn't be worth wasting my energy on him, huh?"

"Yeah, don't mind him. I'll make him regret talking to me next time," you shrug, accustomed to all of Kwon Woon's tricks to the point that you are immune.

Baekhyun clears his throat. "So... how was the movie? Sorry again... that I couldn't make it. I know you really wanted me to go with you."

"Hey, don't apologise, your grandfather was in the hospital and it couldn't be helped. It's fine, it's over now. I got someone else to fill in your spot," you tell him proudly. Baekhyun grows curious as he asks you who it is. "Chanyeol. Chanyeol said he would go with me cause he heard that you couldn't make it." You leave out the details of you crying because it's embarrassing.

"Wow, Park Chanyeol? Did he mess up? If he did, I'll have to coach him," Baekhyun jokes.

Remembering that night, you find your heart thumping loudly again. You wonder if Baekhyun can hear it or see the delight on your face. It never crosses your mind, that fact that you are thinking of Chanyeol when your crush is right in front of you. 

"No, he was honestly, not what I expected from him..." you say. "I always thought he was loud, messy and a little inconsiderate. I don't know why I thought that, maybe because I never really got to know him, even though we share the same close friends."

"This is just a ques

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter