nine

Hearts Don't Lie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

On your way out of campus after wrapping up your last lecture for the day, your mind is preoccupied with romantic scenarios you and Baekhyun could possibly find yourselves in. Everything about him makes him stand out, he's different from the rest of the guys in your university. For one, he is soft-spoken and polite, he sings extremely well and he knows how to charm a girl in a way without coming off as someone sly or flirtatious.

Although you are worried about Hyojin's true motives, you decide to push that aside and look forward for what is about to come instead. You haven't told anyone about what you saw. Either way, no one is going to believe you since Hyojin just transferred. The possibility of a transfer getting in trouble in such a short span of time sounds unreasonable. And she is from the countryside, how bad can country bumpkins be? The worse she can do is talk behind your back in a dialect you won't be able to understand. 

"You look excited," Chanyeol comments as he walks next to you. 

"What  " You frown, puzzled at his sudden appearance. "When did you get here?"

"I just finished my last lecture too and I happened to see you walking to the gates. I called you a few times, but you didn't respond," he takes a can of soda out of his pocket. "You don't have to tell me, I know you were thinking about your upcoming date with Baekhyun."

"Fine, I was. What are you going to do about it?" You scowl at him. 

"Nothing," he answers in an unusually monotonous voice which catches you off guard because you were expecting a witty reply from him. A few seconds of silence pass until he his lips part to speak again. "I'm happy for you. It's about time Baekhyun arranged that date with you, after cancelling on you before. I know it couldn't be helped..." Guilt crosses his face for a moment. "I shouldn't be blaming it on him for making you cry... does he even know?"

"No..." you kick away at nothing, fidgeting with your fingers. "But he doesn't need to. Baekhyun's nice, and he's only going to feel sorry for me. I don't want that."

"But Baekhyun doesn't know how much he hurt you, even if he never meant to. Is he just playing stupid? Hard to get?" Chanyeol gulps down his soda, as if trying to relieve his frustration. You can see signs of it evident on his face.

"You've known Baekhyun for years and you've really just gotten to know me for like a month and a half, how do you know I'm not just the one who's playing hard to get?" 

"Because Baekhyun's hard to read, I can't tell who he likes. You... you're just obvious, everything about you is so genuine, I just know you're definitely not playing hard to get. You like him, though I can't tell what type it is. You're just scared of being let down..." Chanyeol stops in his tracks and you follow, "which is why I better not see you like that again, on the day he called you to tell you he couldn't make it."

"Hey..." sending the serious mood, an awkward laugh escapes you and you bump a fist on his chest lightly. "Why are you so serious? That's... really unlike you, Chanyeol."

Chanyeol gazes straight in to your eyes, so intensely that it starts to make your face flush. His lips quirk upwards at seeing your overly red face and he holds your shoulders to bring you closer to him so that the tips of your shoes are touching. You have never seen him this serious before and what he is doing now makes your heart beat turbulently again. Why does he have to act so out of his character all of a sudden?

"Would you believe me if I said it's because I actually care about you?" Chanyeol sighs in exasperation. "I don't want to see you upset because of anyone. You'll probably tell me to stop worrying again because it's unlike me. I will, because I know that Baekhyun is a great guy. But you know... what if he just sees you as someone like a sister and nothing more?"

"Geez, you're acting like my dad..." you mutter, pouting. 

"Right? I should return to being the carefree, obnoxious Park Chanyeol now, don't you think?" He releases you and distances himself, forgetting about everything he just said. "Where are you heading? I'm going that way." He points to the direction of Hongdae. 

"Me... I'm going that way," you point to the other direction. 

"Then, I'll go that way too," he readjusts his finger to point at your direction. 

"Yah, why would you follow me?"

"Come on, I have nothing to do. Let's go somewhere and eat, like a cafe or McDonalds? It's my treat." 

Rolling your eyes, you can't help but laugh. "Fine, McDonalds it is."

 

 

You are waiting at the fountain in campus for Baekhyun on Friday. He told you the night before that the details were a secret and that he would tell you in person at this location before lectures. You have opted for a simple look today; a white graphic shirt tucked in light denim shorts and platform trainers. You eagerly wait for Baekhyun to show up and you see him from a distance, approaching the fountain shortly after you have arrived. 

"Morning," Baekhyun greets cheerfully in a singsong voice. He is dressed in a white button up tucked in ripped jeans. "You look pretty today." 

Don't blush, don't blush. "And you look handsome, Byun Baekhyun. So are you going to tell me now?" You ask him, peering at the rolled mat he is slinging over his shoulder. 

"About that," he nears, covering a hand over his mouth, "we have to get out of campus first, if you want to know."

"In other words, we're skipping class?" You quirk an eyebrow.

"Yeah... " Baekhyun rubs the back of his neck. "Sorry, is that not a good idea? If it isn't then we can   "

"Then what are you waiting for? Let's get o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter