Chapter 5

Amidst the Chaos
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haera

I was woken up by Kim Jongin at nine in the morning to go shopping. He woke me up from my sweet slumber, dragged me out of my comfy bed, shoved me inside the bathroom, and told me to clean myself in fifteen minutes (fifteen!) or else he will drown all of my books. I barely had a choice. Today’s date is marked March 17th. Like it or not, I have to go with Jongin and our parents today, because in three days, the orphanage will celebrate its 20th year founding anniversary. Usually, our family buys foods and stuffs for the children, but they get inside straight to the bookstore after we got into the mall.

            For years, I told them to get the kids books instead of foods, because I am very much aware that the co-owner of the orphanage is wealthy enough to provide the kids their daily foods. The orphanage has a mini library, but all the books that can be found there is either too fragile for kids to handle or has some pages missing already. Those are the books donated to the orphanage. Mom’s reason for not donating books is that the kids need foods than books; and I will always respond back, “they need knowledge more than just foods, why not give them both?”

            I rarely visit the orphanage with mom and dad on normal days, but I always go with them every founding anniversary. This will be my sixth time to attend it after I find out the truth seven years ago. I didn’t attend the celebration on that year, because I never see the orphanage the same way I see it when I was a kid, visiting the orphanage and helping the other kids. It became my nightmare. It reminds me that, somehow in my life, I’m not wanted in this world.

            Jongin grabbed a cart and walk to the children’s book aisle. I walk with him by the cart while looking through the shelves. “So… books? Did mom finally take my opinion into account? I’m pretty genius, huh?” I said to Jongin as we continue walking.

            He laughed at my statement before giving me a smirk. “Nope. The orphanage had their library renovated, it’s twice bigger now than it was back then. They need more books now,” he said, stopping to grab a book from the shelf and put it in the cart.

            “Grab three copies,” I said, pointing at the book he just grabbed. “Well, it surely took them a while before realizing that the library needs a renovation,” I added, continuing our conversation.

            He hums. “The eldest son of the co-owner suggested it,” he said as we continue walking.

            I stopped walking when I spotted a book, whose story is so close to my heart. I took it out from the shelf and smiles as I read the title—Peter Pan. Mom used to read me some bedtime stories to sleep, and this was my most favorite among them. I used to hate the thought of growing up and listening to adults about what is and what’s not to do, but I realized that children had no choice but to listen to them. After all, Neverland is a home that children will never have; and Peter Pan is the only one who can never grow up.

            “Oh, it’s your story,” Jongin said, standing beside me.

I turned to him and showed the book I was holding. “This? My story?” I asked, smiling a bit.

He nodded. “You used to say, when we were kids, that you’ll wait for your Peter Pan, and you two will fly to Neverland and never grow up.” He took the book from me and open it. I grabbed another two copies from the shelf and put it in the cart.

The memory is vague in my mind, but I remember hating grown-ups as a kid.

Jongin put the book down in the cart and we continued walking. “My Peter Pan?” I said, a bit confused about his usage of words. “Not Peter Pan? As in the Peter Pan,” I added.

He shook his head and stopped walking. “Jongin-ah,” he started, trying to copy my voice as a kid, “when will my Peter Pan come and take me? I don’t want to grow up.” He pouted, while his hands are placed below his chin, trying to act cute.

I laughed at him and shook my head. “No way! I did not say such thing,” I said, grabbing random children’s books from the shelves. I shoved Jongin aside and push the cart by myself while looking around for our parents.

“You did. As a matter of fact, two persons can vouch for me. They used to tell you otherwise,” he said as he walks beside me, helping me push the cart.

I stopped again when I spotted some of my favorite books as a kid and took three copies each. “And who might that be, may I ask?” I asked him, not looking at him and scanning the shelves instead.

“The sons of the co-owner of the orphanage,” Jongin answered.

I paused, trying to remember the two kids. I faced Jongin when a vague memory came to mind. “The two pricks from the orphanage?” I said.

Before I find out the truth about my personality, I used to come along with my parents every time they visit the orphanage. There’s these two kids from the orphanage who will always ruin my mood, but I can’t recall how or why they do it. But the memory of my crying form is still vivid in my mind.

“Pricks?” Jongin confusedly asked, rising an eyebrow at me.

I shrugged, while grabbing some books and putting it in the cart. “I can remember them making me cry when I was a kid, if my memory is correct.”

“Really?” Jongin said. “They made you cry once in front of me, when they told you that Peter Pan does not exist, and humans can’t fly.”

“I think I know now why I hate them so much back then,” I said, laughing a bit. Jongin muffled a laugh too beside me.

“They’re grown-ups now,” he said, as-a-matter-of-factly.

I smirked and turned to him. “Another reason to hate them more now,” I said.

            We found our parents pushing a cart full of school supplies. Jongin and I grabbed more books before paying in the cashier with our parents. After shopping for books, mom and dad opted to shop some groceries for stocks at home. While looking around the supermarket, I received a text that made me stopped walking and stare at my phone like it’s the first time someone has texted me.

            “What’s wrong?” Jongin approached me. When he didn’t get any answers from me, he took my phone from my hands and read the message. “Haera-ya… this is…”

            I remained shock and still, standing in the middle of the supermarket with Jongin.

                                    Unknown number

            >Ms. Kim Haera,

                        Good day! This is to inform you that your script had passed the first screening for the KArts Film Festival 2019. We expect your presence for the upcoming workshop next week, March 22nd, Thursday, at 8 o’clock in the morning, to be held in Department of Multimedia AVR, 5th floor. You are required to bring an assistant script editor with you on the said day.

                        See you there and congratulations!

            Jongin looked up to me, shocked is still visible from his eyes. His lips slowly formed a big smile and I can’t help but smile at him too. “You did it,” he shouted, too loud for everyone passing by in the supermarket to hear. “Oh, , you’re in! I’m so proud of you.” I nodded in confirmation and Jongin pulled me into a tight hug.

            “I’m joining the film fest…” I said, still tipsy from too much happiness. “I’m not dreaming, right? This is not a prank message?” I asked Jongin. I’m in the verge of crying in the middle of the supermakert.

            Jongin shook head. I hugged him tightly as I squeal.

            I told my parents about the film fest when we got home, and the budget that I might be needing to produce the film in case I passed the two more screening. They told me they will help me find sponsors, even Jongin assured me he’ll do his best to help.

            I sent a message to Sehun and Kyungsoo, informing them that I passed the first screening and I’m currently looking for an assistant script editor to come with me in the workshop. Sehun replied first, congratulating me and telling me he’ll ask around for me. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, took minutes to reply.

Kyungsoo

>You passed where…?

            Uh-oh. I was too excited when I learned about that film fest and actually forgot to tell him. I quickly sent a message to Sehun, asking for help because I know Kyungsoo will be mad at me, again, if he finds out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter