Chapter 13

Amidst the Chaos
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haera

My Monday classes end at 6PM. I was fixing my things on my bag when the girls in my class suddenly gushed over someone outside our room. They were all blocking the first door, so I exited through the back door. The chatters from my classmates went down when I heard someone shout my name.

            “Kim Haera!”

            I closed my eyes firmly before turning around to that familiar voice. Byun Baekhyun is coolly leaning on the railing in front of our room, as if savoring the attention that the girls are giving him. He waved at me with a grin. That made the girls turn to me with a frown.

            I eyed the girls cautiously, then squinted at Baekhyun. With all the attention on me, I swiftly turned around and sprinted to the elevator, away from Baekhyun.

            The sound of foot steps behind me made me accelerate my pace. But when I felt a hand grabbed my arm, I stopped pronto. “Geez, woman, stop running away from me.”

            I’m not really ready to face Baekhyun. I have a lot going on in my life right now, and I can’t handle all of it at once.

            “What do you want from me, Baekhyun?” I muttered weakly.

            Baekhyun dangled his car keys in front of me. “Let’s go for a ride?”

            I sighed. “I’m sorry, I’m not in the mood.”

            I walked past him, but halted when he said, “I’m actually gonna get you your Royce maccha.”

            Chanyeol and him owe me Royce chocolates for helping them out in our English test last week. They were supposed to buy me one after class, but that thing with Kyungsoo happened and it has been forgotten.

            A few moments later, I found myself inside Baekhyun’s car. Again. Maybe I got swayed by chocolates way too easy. Or maybe it’s the fact that when I get home, I have to deal with Zhang Yixing and Jongin.

            Jongin was always on my tail last weekend. He never gave Zhang Yixing a chance to interact with me inside our house. I mostly locked myself up in my room to avoid both of them.

            The car ride was silent. No one between Baekhyun and I dared to break it until I saw the road we’re heading at. I sat up straight on the passenger seat and turned to Baekhyun. “Why are we heading to Namsan?”

            “You caught on that quickly, huh,” Baekhyun grinned smugly at me.

            My brows creased at him. “Baekhyun, you said we’re just going to buy—”

            “Check the back,” he cut me off.

            I looked at the backseat and saw a paper bag.

            Sigh. He already bought the chocolates. “Then where are we going?”

            Baekhyun did not answer verbally. He gave me a small smile and then pointed at the tall, bright tower that looked like its nearing us as we drove further.

            What is he up to?

            “Why are we going to Namsan Tower?”

            Baekhyun protruded his lips. “You need this.”

            I avoided his gaze and focused on the cars hastily passing by us at the other side of the road. “How would you know that?”

            “Minseok told me,” he gave me a quick glance before focusing back on the road. “For someone whose long-lost brother finally showed up, you look pretty down.”

            Maybe he’s right. I need a quick escape from reality.

            Baekhyun chuckled when he saw me relaxing on my seat and giving in. After a few minutes, we’re parking at the entrance where you can see the cable cars right above you. When Baekhyun cut the engine, I unbuckled my seatbelt and got out of the car. I can’t help but grin at the closer glimpse of Namsan Tower in front of me.

            I heard the car door opened and closed. Baekhyun was pointing at the bus going up to the tower and about to say something, but I grabbed his hand and dragged him to the ticket booth for the cable cars.

            “The shuttle bus is actually more convenient,” Baekhyun uttered as I dragged him.

            I turned to him as I walked. “No fun! Come on, the line is short!”

            The line is indeed short—maybe because it’s Monday. We didn’t wait long for our turn, because a minute later, we’re getting onto the cable car. I giddily hopped onto it and faced Baekhyun who seemed hesitant to enter. I can literally see him gulp while he eyes the cable car, as if he’s making sure it’s not going to fall off or something.

            “Baekhyun,” I called him. When he didn’t snap out of it, I grabbed his hand again and pulled him in. His eyes went wide when the car jerked.

            “Don’t tell me you’re afraid of heights?” I mockingly told him.

            When he didn’t answer me, I jumped to get his attention. “Haera, stop moving,” he held my arm to steady me in my feet.

            The door closed when the cable car has been filled when few people. I think Baekhyun went paler at the thought of the car moving, so I gently took him to the corner before the car officially moves.

            “What? What are you doing? Yah! I said, stop moving!”

            Baekhyun let out a whimper as he walked to the corner while I’m grinning the whole time. Seeing him like this actually feels more familiar than the Baekhyun I saw the other week when he confronted Kyungsoo. This is the Baekhyun I know.

            Baekhyun let go of his hold of my arm and strongly gripped on the safety railing. He remained stupefied in his feet when we moved. He looked so afraid to look down.

            I let out a gasp when I shifted my eyes away from Baekhyun and saw the city lights below us. “Wah, it’s so pretty,” I mumbled to myself. Seoul is, indeed, much prettier at night. I turned my head back to Baekhyun, his eyes are on me. “You’re missing out on the view, you know,” I told him.

            I don’t think I can make him look at the view below because of his fear.

            “I’m not,” he spoke softly, eyes on me. He smoothly shifted his eyes on city lights below us. “Pretty,” he whispered as he looked down.

            My eyes stayed on him for a while. The lights were dim in the cable car to emphasize the view at night more, but even in the dark, he outshined the city lights as I stared longer at him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter