Breaking Points

CHAOTIC

After Rosé left her car Jisoo finally opens Joy’s diary. She wonders if Rosé has already read it or that the stories that are about to be read are also a surprise to her.  Jisoo opens the diary and notices there’s a bookmark about sixty pages further. It must be where she left off.

About two hours later Jisoo closes the diary and puts it next to her. She stares in front of her and exhales. Yes, she expected to read some personal stories of course, but she never expected them to be so dark.

Jisoo puts the diary back in her bag, being lost in her thoughts about the things she read. Trying to process everything she hesitates to do the thing she had in mind. But snapping out of her thoughts she decides not to care, something she’s used to doing now. She shakes her head to get rid of her thoughts and drives herself home. Jisoo needs to prepare everything for later.

 

It’s lunch. Jennie and Lisa are talking with Yeri as she tells them about the little “ice cream date” she and Rosé had yesterday. When she is telling Lisa about Rosé getting her favorite ice cream flavors right, Yeri sees Joy walking into the cafeteria. Joy spots her sister looking at her and getting up from her seat. Joy isn’t in the mood to talk and walks back into the hallway, so she can go sit on one of the tables outside. Unfortunately for her, Yeri was faster and stopped her from walking.

Yeri stands in front of Joy and stretches out her hand, signing that Joy should stop. Joy rolls her eyes and sighs. “What is it Yerim? I am not really in the mood to talk right now” Yeri puts her hand down and looks to the floor. “Can we talk, please? I haven’t spoken to you in a while and you haven’t been responding to my messages. Please?” Yeri looks at Joy. Joy is hesitant at first but also realizes she needs to handle the confrontation. “Let’s go outside” Joy gives Yeri’s shoulder a nudge and tells her to follow as she already started walking in front of her.

They both sit down on one of the wooden picnic tables that are placed outside. Yeri looks in her bag and wants to grab her lunch but then notices Joy is searching in her own bag too and looking disappointed. Irene always makes sure to pack her children’s lunch and since Joy is used to finding lunch in her bag every afternoon, she forgot her aunt only provides her breakfast. Joy closes her bag and looks at Yeri, who reaches the other half of her sandwich out to her. “Eat up. I’m not that hungry anyways” Yeri smiles and Joy smiles back at her. She takes the sandwich from Yeri’s hand and eats it.

Yeri starts asking about how life with aunt Wendy is. As much as they love her, they both know how hectic it can get sometimes. Wendy is pretty unorganized and forgets that, even though Joy and Yeri act like they don’t need to be taken care of, that they actually do. So, when Wendy invites one of her friends to “spend some time together” it makes them uncomfortable. Both are actually not mature enough to process the idea of their aunt doing all of that.

They laugh and keep on talking for a while. Both are happy, especially Yeri. She missed Joy so much and the conversations she has with her sister are conversations she can’t have with anyone else.

 Suddenly the sight of Joy hugging Jisoo pops in her mind again. Yeri’s mood changes and decides to confront her sister about what she saw. Joy finishes her sentence and frowns as she can see her sister’s happy mood fading.

“What’s wrong Yerim” Joy takes a sip from Yeri orange juice. Yeri looks at Joy sipping her juice and figures out a way to bring it up.

“I saw you hugging Jisoo. I don’t know what is going on between you two and I couldn’t help but wonder if it had to do something with me. Are you that mad at me? Are you that mad that you would become friends with Jisoo?” Yeri starts to shake and she can feel the lump in . She just hopes she isn’t going to cry in public.

Joy is overwhelmed. She didn’t expect anyone to see that hug and especially not her sister. Mumbling out her words and getting nervous she tries to speak. “Yerim, it was nothing like that. One of my teachers, Mr. Jeon, made me feel bad again and I just had enough. I stormed out of class and started crying. I don’t even know why Jisoo comforted me. I didn’t say a word to her and I haven’t  since that fight. I am sorry you had to see that and I just hope you know that there is nothing going on. I wouldn’t do that to you, I promise”

Yeri feels relieved that there is nothing going on but noticed one thing her sister said. “What do you mean ‘again’? Did he ever make you feel bad before?” Yeri’s eyes grow bigger out of concern and the puppy eyes that appear make Joy’s heart melt. She often forgets how fond she is of her little sister and that she’ll always see that baby sister side of her. Joy can’t tell her what happened before though, so she just brushes it off. “Oh no, I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant that I felt bad again I guess… don’t worry about me Yerim. Anyways, how are you? Did Jisoo bother you?”

Yeri fills her in on the details. She tells Joy about the awkward and bit tensed situation at home. Irene and Seulgi have been upset these past days without Joy being there. They sometimes argue and want to give each other the blame but also realize they should give themselves the blame. Irene tries to stay strong and puts up a happy face for Yeri. Yeri knows better though and avoids the entire situation by spending most of her time in her room, except when it’s dinner time.

Joy feels a little upset but also doesn’t regret staying at Wendy’s house because it has done her good. She finally had some time to clear her head and Wendy is sweet enough to check up on her from time to time, so she has the opportunity to let all her frustrations out.

This time it’s Joy’s turn to start a conversation about a topic she would rather avoid. She tries to get it all together and prepares for the worst.

“I have to ask Yerim. What’s the deal between you and Chaeyoung? Did you guys come to school together yesterday?”  Joy fumbles with the empty orange juice box.

Yeri sighs and knew she had to talk about this subject at some point. The fact that she hasn’t discussed anything about Rosé yet says a lot since they always discuss everything with each other.

Yeri starts opening up about everything. She tells Joy about them hanging out at Rosé’s place, the dinner at home that happened the same night. She also mentioned that they have been spending a lot of time together and that she really likes Rosé. Yeri also tells her about the ice cream they got before school yesterday.

Joy just listens to everything. She honestly just wants to get up and leave. Hearing all these things coming from her sister doesn’t make any sense. According to her sister, Rosé is the one that initiates everything and they both have feelings for each other. But Joy is sure that in those days Yeri talked about, Rosé has been flirting with her. Hell they even made out at Wendy’s place. It just doesn’t make any sense and Joy is hundred percent sure Rosé told her Yeri initiated the kiss.

“Stop lying Yerim. You might be able to fool your friends but not me. I know Chaeyoung isn’t into you like that. Actually, me and her have been texting a lot you know…. And to be honest we even made out. So all the things you’re saying right now just don’t make any sense. Stop lying to yourself or you will really start to believe those lies” Joy grabs her bag and wants to leave but gets interrupted by Yeri, who stands up and gets really mad.

“Lying? Really Sooyoung? That’s rich coming from you” Yeri scoffs. “All this time I have been wanting to defend you whenever mom was saying something about you. Maybe she was right after all” Yeri looks at her sister with a stone-cold look.

“You know what Yerim? You ain’t . You act all sweet and innocent, but the truth is that you’re rotten from the inside. Maybe there’s a reason Jisoo picks on you and no one else. There must be a reason, right? It might be karma for your personality” Joy slides her bag over her shoulder and wants to leave but suddenly feels something hitting her head. It’s the orange juice box. “Really? That’s all you’ve got?” Joy snickers.

“Yes, Sooyoung that’s all I’ve got. Guess what I also got” Yeri shows the two hickeys she got from Rosé. “Hickeys from your girl! I think you’re the one that’s conflicted right now. Everyone is right. Maybe you haven’t changed at all Sooyoung. You call me a liar, but I come up with facts and what about you?”

Joy looks at her, feeling all sorts of emotions. Angry because all the things Yeri just said, but mostly disappointed. She can’t believe Yeri really has it in her to say all those things about her like that. Joy really thought Yeri knew better than that.

“You tell me I changed but look at yourself. I’m done at this point. I’m really tired of everyone and everything” Joy gets her bag and walks off fast, leaving Yeri standing there.

Luckily no one was outside, or the entire school would gossip about the two sisters fighting in public.  However, Yeri comes back to her senses and realizes what she all just said was way out of line. Just when she thought things might become good with her sister again, she messes up big time.

Yeri knows Joy wouldn’t lie to her about things like that. It’s just that she didn’t want to believe them. Would Rosé really be the type to date two people at once?

Yeri decides to wait up for Rosé so she can talk to her when she’s done with practice. Rosé being a cheerleader is always something Yeri found attractive about her. Actually, the entire school found it attractive that Rosé was captain of the cheerleading squad.

Rosé walks out of the building where practice was being held and is on her phone texting someone. Yeri checks her phone to see if she might be typing a message to her, but nothing appears on her screen. This makes Yeri insecure as Joy might have had a point when she told her Rosé has been texting her too.

Rosé looks up as she saw someone standing inches away from her. She notices Yeri who’s looking on her phone and runs up to her. Rosé hugs Yeri tight and squeezes her until Yeri begs her to stop, hitting her shoulder several times.

Rosé spins Yeri around and lets her go. “What are you doing here? What a pleasant surprise! I’m so happy to see you Yerimie!”  It’s impossible for Yeri not to smile when Rosé is all sweet with her and calls her by her nickname. Her smile fades away quickly when she remembers she needs to talk about the situation with Joy.

“We need to talk Chaeyoung” The serious tone in Yeri’s voice makes Rosé a little nervous. Rosé nods and they both walk to the picnic benches, the same place where Yeri had that horrible conversation with Joy earlier that day. They both sit down. Rosé looks on her phone and starts typing.

“Is that Joy you’re texting right now?” Rosé is surprised at Yeri’s bold comment. She puts her phone down and puts her elbows on the table, cupping her own face with her hands while staring into Yeri’s eyes. “I’m not. I’d rather look at you beautiful” she smiles at Yeri who looks unamused.

“Bull. Me and my sister talked today. She told me about the make out session you had recently” Yeri crosses her arm to see how Rosé is going to react. This was one of those days where she wasn’t having any of that nonsense.

Rosé is startled by Yeri’s comment. She pulls her elbows back and puts her hands on her knees while rubbing them back and forth. It’s something she would do whenever she gets nervous.

“I’m sorry Yerimie I-”

“Yerim. It’s Yerim”

Rosé continues. “Yerim… I’m sorry. That’s all I can say now. It happened a few days ago and I wasn’t sure if we actually were a thing and it just happened really. Sooyoung was emotional because of the fight she had the day before and I comforted her and… yeah” Rosé struggles to finish the sentence without her voice cracking.

Yeri gets nervous though as she wants to handle this the mature way. Since Rosé is older than her she doesn’t want to seem uncool or childish. Yeri is surprised Rosé is getting a bit emotional. She expected for herself to break down, but she’s managing pretty well.

“Don’t worry Chaeyoung. It’s fine I guess. Next time just tell me though. I don’t really like finding these things out through other people, especially through my sister. Are you still sending my sister flirty text messages or are you only focused on me?”

That’s when Yeri got really confused. Rosé started to cry. Not the regular build up- sniffing kind of crying, but the proper breakdown crying.

Rosé has been feeling guilty for what she has been doing lately. She never meant to hurt Yeri or Joy in any way, but it’s Jisoo who is responsible for this. Rosé understood that if she became closer to Yeri that she would be able to get the diary faster. She has tried to get the diary while she was spending time with Joy in her room but spending time with Joy is very precious to her. When she spends time with Joy it feels like five hours are five short minutes. Jisoo suggested to spend some time with her little sister and she did.

At first Rosé didn’t like Yeri in a romantic way at all. That changed when she got to know Joy’s notorious little sister better. As much as Yeri is a complete sweetheart, Rosé knows her heart belongs to Joy. But behind all the ugly actions Rosé is pulling, she does have a heart. She does care about both.

“I’m so sorry Yerim. I’m so sorry about everything. I never meant to hurt you or your sister. I know I’m doing it right now, but I can’t do anything about it” Rosé sobs for a little while and Yeri sits next to her, trying to comfort her. This still leaves Yeri confused why to Rosé is reacting so intensely.

“You are so sweet and you deserve someone who really cares about you. So does your sister. You both are the absolute best and I’m so sorry for ruining everything. Please forgive me for my actions. I’m not doing them from my own will” Rosé’s sentences are barely hearable from all the sobbing, but Yeri seems to have understood everything she said.

“Chaeyoung are you okay? What are you rambling about? It’s fine we’ll figure it out” Yeri rubs her back and keeps reassuring her it’s okay.

They sit there for a while, in silence, till Rosé calms down a bit.

Yeri looks at Rosé who has finally been able to crack a smile at Yeri ever since she started breaking down. “Hey… maybe it’s better if we stop seeing each other… like that. Maybe things will get better between the three of us”

Rosé nods at Yeri and assumes the third person is Joy. Rosé agrees. This will make Jisoo’s plan easier for her to take in since she won’t be dating either one of them when it gets out.

“You’re a good person Yerim” Rosé kisses Yeri’s forehead and ruffles with her hair.

Yeri gets up to go home since it got pretty late and her parents must wonder where she is.

Yeri walks away but before she’s too far she turns around.

“It’s Yerimie to you Miss Park!”