Calm before the storm

Devastating Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yoongi hyung is here,” Jimin informed, “you’re not going to kill him for what happened right?”

 

Looking away from his phone, his smile faded “Park Jimin, stop being a drama king. Indeed, Seulgi influenced you too much.”

 

Jimin had a lopsided smile, “he’s at the usual meeting room, all cleared.”

 

Taehyung patted on the elder man shoulder before exiting his office. Walking down towards the quiet corridor of the unused meeting rooms, Taehyung brought himself into the room he always has the hidden meeting with the older man.

 

“We’re not supposed to meet till next week for our bi-weekly meeting, it must be a new discovery that brought you here earlier,” Taehyung took a seat before Yoongi, “I assume.”

 

The composed banker lowered his head, a smile plastered on his stoic face “you may say that.”

 

“How’s things for you in Seoul Investment Bank,” Taehyung crossed his leg, “it has been quite some time since you took on the new role.”

 

“Well, things are progressing perfectly fine, I believe you’ve gotten my email on the reports.”

 

Taehyung nodded his head and glanced through the file he downloaded on his tablet while waiting for the man before him to brief him further.

 

Yoongi started off with Taehyung’s most concerned item, “Last month income for SH Enterprise has increased 15% and year to date numbers looks positive, they should end the year in green based on the forecast, even if it’s on worst case scenario assumption.” He continued, “Baekhyun is very curious on the person behind H&H and requested to meet many times, but I have managed it, just in case he doesn’t buy my idea anymore I’m sure he would approach you.”

 

The younger man nodded his head while looking through the charts on the executive summary.

 

“But there’s one thing I need to highlight to you, Kim Young Chul seems to be back to daunt SH Enterprise,” Yoongi sighed, “this man it’s really a tough one.”

 

Nodding his head again, Taehyung placed his tablet on the table “we had been having belligerent meetings ever since appa made the announcement but I’ll manage him, don’t worry. Just make sure to keep Baekhyun and team safe.”

 

Yoongi pursed his lips, from his tone of voice, he knew the instruction to safeguard SH Enterprise is stern and firm. The banker continued reporting to him on all his personal businesses and properties.

 

“What about your special task in Seoul Investment Bank?” Taehyung looked up to the man who is still calm as ever. “It’s never easy to gain Kim Dae Suk’s trust.”

 

“Indeed,” Yoongi agreed, “he appeared to be dubious with Kim Jennie but actually he wants her to be his successor badly. After some guidance and trainings, she’d been improving pretty fast, guess it’s in their gene.” Crossing his arm, he looked at Taehyung, serious “he’d been getting her to handle a lot of things with me assisting.”

 

“What’s the new discovery?” Taehyung sounded impatient. “I understand the building will be due for resubmission end of next year, they should be prepping for it now.”

 

“The key data of the building your father involved in approving on the architecture portion ten years ago,” Yoongi paused, clasping his hands “all the documents are signed by Jennie and his uncle, Kim Tae Suk who was also involved right from the start instead of Kim Dae Suk.”

 

“Impossible, the project investment plan was handled by Kim Dae Suk himself then, how would she be the authorized signatory now?” Taehyung’s brows furrowed. “It’s impractical, if the government do a thorough check and Jennie is unable to handle it well, things will turn ugly.”

 

“There’re only two possibilities for Kim Dae Suk to authorized Jennie for this,” Yoongi swiped on Taehyung’s tablet, “he’s anticipating for the government to nail him on this case hence he’s getting his daughter and brother to be a scapegoat while he could escape. Or she’s aware of these dealings the whole time.”

 

Resting his elbows on the table while his chin pressed on his interlaced fingers, Taehyung frowned “we’ve been targeting the wrong person, but I doubt Jennie is capable and would do such things. It’s just too risky, if she’s heading it.”

 

Yoongi smirked “don’t belittle Kim Jennie, there may be lot of things you have not notice yet. She had been very co-operative with me on all the matters in the bank but when it comes to this project, she handles it very carefully.”

 

“Are you suspecting that she’s well aware on the arrangement?”

 

“I would not eliminate such possibility,” Yoongi replied, “from the surface, things aren’t that simple but good thing is, she hasn’t suspect me on anything, guess I’m still safe.”

 

Heaving a sigh of relief, Taehyung checked on his watch “I’ll leave this to you.”

 

Yoongi on his dry lips feeling uneasy with the sudden cold silence filling the room. Stealing glances on the younger man, Yoongi hesitated unsure if he should start the sensitive topic.

 

“Anything else you want to highlight?”

 

“About me and Jennie-”

 

Taehyung laughed seeing the nervousness in his eyes, “you should know better than anyone else on my main intention of marrying Kim Jennie. I would not interfere on her personal matters or the relationship with any other man.”

 

“But there’s really nothing happen between us,” Yoongi emphasized his words.

 

“I wouldn’t mind if you’re to let something happen but I just want you to always bear in mind on your duty and role in this mission,” he patted on his shoulder. “other than that, I would restrain you.”

 

“You’re the first man whom I’ve seen allowing other man to touch your wife,” Yoongi snickered.

 

“Remember to come for the reunion, everyone will be there this time,” he held on the doorknob, ready to leave the room but Yoongi’s question stopped him.

 

“Even Bae Joohyun?” Yoongi gave him a knowing smile.

 

Taehyung smirked “Yes, she’ll be there.”

 

-

 

“Isn’t this ridiculous?” Seungwan raised her voice walking around the bridal fitting room, “how can the groom not accompany the bride to try out the wedding gowns or are you that desperate and, in a hurry, to do it all by yourself?”

 

Joohyun glared at the chatterbox who had been dissing Seulgi on Jimin’s shortfall since they stepped into the bridal shop. Given Seulgi’s short temper, she would blow up anytime soon if Seungwan is to keep ticking her off.

 

“I just didn’t want Jimin to get too pressured,” Seulgi pouted while checking on the wedding dresses she shortlisted earlier. “He’d been terribly stressed by Kim Taehyung lately.”

 

“No matter how horrible Jung Hoseok was then, he went with me and we chose everything together,” Seungwan shoved her hands into her jeans pocket, not pleased with the reason Seulgi gave.

 

“If Jung-”

 

Joohyun immediately covered the dancer’s mouth, knowing she’s about to challenge Seungwan about his ex-husband. “Seungwan-ah, you said there’s one gown looked suitable for Seulgi right, can you get them to bring it over for fitting?”

 

“I hate it but for you I’ll do it for her,” Seungwan left the bridal fitting room.

 

Joohyun flicked on Seulgi’s forehead, “you know it’s a taboo to mention Hoseok oppa’s name and you still want to piss her with it.”

 

“But she was complaining about Jimin oppa so much and since she said his name so freely just now, it doesn’t look like she would mind,” Seulgi seated on the couch while holding on a gown, “Jimin oppa didn’t even know I came here.”

 

“He’s really that tied up with works?” Joohyun asked, feeling bad just by looking at the side view of Seulgi, “but your wedding is just around the corner, there are a lot to prepare.”

 

“How I wish I could strangle that evil boss of his, that Kim Taehyung,” Seulgi tightened her fists in rage. “Ever since the day he transferred to our school, he has not stop troubling every one of us, especially Jimin oppa.” Noticed Joohyun looking away awkwardly, she knew she said something wrong again. “Joohyun-ah, I’m sorry about the commotion I made during the annual dinner. I just thought you should clear things off with Sehun, I want you to set yourself free.”

 

Holding on her best friend hand, she smiled “I wasn’t even angry with you to begin with, komawo, if you didn’t do it, we wouldn’t get to have a closure.”

 

“That depends on who pushed her to settle things with Oh Sehun,” Seungwan came in with the gown and eyeing Joohyun, knowingly. “I’m sure Seulgi it’s not the main reason you got yourself out from the nightmare.”

 

“Ms. Son, your phone is ringing again,” Joohyun eyed hardly at the barista. “Answer it outside.”

 

“I heard about the marriage arrangement for you and Jin oppa,” Seulgi grinned, “how are you considering it?”

 

“How do you know?” Joohyun bit the corner of her lower lip.

 

“I overheard Jimin’s conversation,” Seulgi revealed, her hand on Joohyun’s tightening “it’s not supposed to be a secret right,” she checked on Joohyun’s sudden change of expression. “tell me you’re considering it…”

 

“Even Jimin know about it,” Joohyun closed her eyes and sighed.

 

“Consider about it,” Seulgi held on her small shoulder “Jin oppa is a good man, he practically had been in love with you since he first met you. For a man to wait for you so many years, it proves how true his heart is to you, it meant something right. I don’t wish to see you end up being single for all your life.”

 

“Seungwan is single too…”

 

“That woman,” Seulgi snorted, “at one point, she would definitely forgive Hoseok oppa. She knew it wasn’t his fault. So sooner or later, Hoseok oppa would definitely melt her heart again, it’s just a matter of time.” Observing her every move, she added “I wasn’t sure, none of us know what happened between you and Taehyung 7 years ago. Perhaps, he’s not your destiny, I want you to be happy, you should be happy.”

 

“Babo Kang Seulgi!!!!”

 

Seulgi was frightened by the sudden loud familiar voice and before she could react in time, Jimin pulled her into his strong arms. “How could you not tell me about this? We promised to work on the preparations together, didn’t we?”

 

“I was worried about you,” Seulgi pouted while playing with his tie, “I didn’t want you to be stressed out by me.”

 

“Babo!” he hit on her hand, softly.

 

“Ms. Kang, the gown is ready,” the shopkeeper informed, “do you want to try it now?”

 

“I’ll go try it first, wait here,” Seulgi walked into the fitting area excitedly.

 

Jimin took the seat beside Joohyun after seeing the lady drew the curtain of the fitting area. “Thanks for telling me.”

 

“Wait till Seungwan return, be ready to face the wrath,” Joohyun chuckled.

 

“How have you been, Bae Joohyun?”

 

She turned to her classmate, someone she’d been missing a lot in her life “Depending on what you’re referring to, what do you want to know, Park Jimin?” she smiled, a genuine smile Jimin had not seen for almost a decade.

 

“What do you want to tell me, maybe about your upcoming wedding?” Jimin teased as he nudged her with a mischievous smile on face.

 

“It seems a lot of you are interested with this arranged marriage,” Joohyun laughed, “you guys are even more excited than I do.”

 

“My interest is only on your decision,” Jimin became serious.

 

Joohyun lowered her head, playing with her fingers nervously “I know very well about my feelings for Jin oppa and it’s definitely not lover kind of feelings. Accepting this would only be unfair to him, I can’t be so selfish.”

 

“But Jin hyung is willing to make you fall for him in a slower pace through the marriage,” Jimin pointed out. “Besides, this would be your best way to get rid of Taehyung’s contract, by marrying Jin hyung, isn’t that a good option?”

 

“Agreeing to him would only ruin him more, he deserves someone better,” Joohyun smiled, bitterly.

 

“Are you indirectly telling me that you would be rejecting Jin hyung?” Jimin chuckled.

 

“I’m telling you because I trust you,” Joohyun said.

 

Folding his arms before his chest, his head fell back “if that’s your decision, I’m confused with the reason you left Taehyung 7 years ago”

 

Joohyun’s lips parted but she wasn’t able to utter a single word knowing she had somehow fell into Jimin’s trap.

 

“Jin hyung had been expressing his love to you long ago, you would’ve an answer inside since the very beginning,” he turned to her, “what was the real reason for you to leave Taehyung so heartlessly, do you really not know how damaged he was?”

 

Before Jimin could push Joohyun further, Seungwan came back and she couldn’t thank her friend more. “Park Jimin, you’re here. I thought your wife-to-be would have to get everything done all alone and you would just walk into the alter on the wedding day.”

 

“Yah Son Seungwan,” Joohyun pinched on her hand “are you trying to pick a fight with him?”

 

Seungwan rolled her eyes and murmured “whoever is close to Kim Taehyung, none of them are good.” Turning to Joohyun, she said “café need us, we have to rush back.”

 

“But Seulgi…”

 

“Well, her husband is here. After all, she’s his responsibility since the first day they crossed path each other’s life.” Seungwan smiled, cunningly. “Park Jimin is more than happy if we don’t stay here and be their light bulb.”

 

“Let her know that we are leaving, I’ll call her tonight.” Joohyun said before Seungwan pulled her away from the fitting area towards the exit.

 

Sneaking into the fitting area through the small opening of the curtain, Jimin noticed Seulgi had changed into the gown. Wrapping his arms around her slender waist from behind, he was mesmerized by the beauty of his fiancée. His arms tightened instantly when she moved.

 

“What’s wrong?” Seulgi turned to him over her shoulder. “Where’s Joohyun and Seungwan?”

 

“I’m terrible, isn’t it?” Jimin muttered “I wouldn’t even know that you came here alone if it wasn’t Joohyun who called me. I’ve not done my part.”

 

“Aniya, I didn’t want you to be too busy. I’m really fine,” she assured.

 

Jimin rested his chin on her shoulder, “I’m really blessed to have you in my life, I’m so grateful that you chose to walk into my life despite I’m lacking so much. It’s never easy for lovers to walk down the road together till the very end. I’m lucky to have you by my side since day one till now.”

 

“What’s so lucky about it, you silly.”

 

“Seungwan and Hoseok hyung, Joohyun and Taehyung,” Jimin stared still into their reflection on the huge mirror. “They love each other so much but ended up hurting one another to an extent, they can never return to the point where they first started.”

 

Turning her around to face him, he cupped on her face and pressed his forehead against hers “I’ll treasure you and our love. I would use my life to protect you and to love you eternally.”

 

Seulgi beamed, sweetly “ditto…”

 

-

 

“By keeping quiet it’s not going to bring you anywhere, Taehyung” Kim Young Jae’s sombre face expression was alarming. The executive secretary of the President Office immediately stepped out from the office after escorting Kim Young Chul into Kim Young Jae’s office. “Explain yourself!” his thunderous voice reverberated in the office.

 

An evil smile appeared on Kim Young Chul’s face as he took the seat opposite of the young guy. It was definitely a pleasant scene for him to see Kim Young Jae so fury with his son, satisfying smile was all over his face.

 

“There’s nothing I should explain, my decision is for the best interest of the company,” Taehyung said, calmly.

 

“You’re attacking your own uncle,” Kim Young Jae threw the file towards Taehyung. “If I didn’t stop this, the news would we have break to the media; feud in the family. How are you going to stop that then?”

 

There was no emotion shown on Taehyung’s vacant face, he picked up the file on the floor and placed it on the coffee table, still staring still at one point not looking at his father.

 

“Tell me what have you been doing other than go missing in action and left everything to Jimin to handle?” Kim Young Jae held on his waist, checking on his son every now and then. He was hoping for him to at least tell him the reason behind of such decision “Kim Taehyung, are you being arrogant just because I have name you to take over my position. Because of that you’re comfortable and are very sure to be the heir of my empire?”

 

“Right from the start,” Kim Young Jae stopped when Taehyung finally spoke, “you never intend to have me be your successor, hyung was always your choice but you have no option because he doesn’t want it.” Turning to his father, his fragile eyes harrowed the old man “if you wish to still interfere with every decision I make, maybe you shouldn’t even have name me the next president of YJ Group.” Taehyung got up and bowed to his father before exiting the office.

 

“Such an arrogant brat,” Kim Young Chul was feeling smug after watching the argument between the father and son.

 

-

 

“How can I help you?” Joohyun asked while punching in her personal code on the cash registrar machine.

 

“1 americano, please…”

 

The familiar voice drew her attention from the screen, when she looked up, she was surprised to see the weary and exhausted man stood before her. It was evident from his face and the unenthusiastic voice.

 

“Taehyung…you want coffee?” Joohyun worried.

 

“Yes, could you send to me?” Taehyung asked in a low voice, “I’ll be at the far end of the café.”

 

“Why would he order coffee?” Joohyun mumbled while preparing the beverage. “Alice, fill in my post, I’ll step away for a while.” Bringing the tray of drinks to him, she noticed he was leaning against the patted seat while staring out from the glass window mindlessly. “Here…”

 

“I ordered 1 americano only,” Taehyung took the cup of coffee from the tray and sipped the drink. He squirmed right away after tasting the it, just like what Joohyun expected him to be.

 

Joohyun immediately pushed the mango smoothie to his hand, “drink this…knew you would be like this. Why did you even challenge yourself with this?” she took the coffee away and trying hard to study his face of expression.

 

He shrugged nonchalantly, “maybe I just wanted the bitterness to numb my heart and stop it from feeling for a moment.”

 

She grabbed hold on his hand, concernedly “did something happen?”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter