The Truth

Devastating Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun ran towards the bus stand in tears, she needed to rush back to the hospital and talked to Yoon Hwa after learning the truth that had been hidden from her for all her life. Suddenly, a luxurious car stopped by the bus stand before her. Looking up to the bizarre car, her eyes widened when the window was wind down, revealing the person inside.

 

“Get in…”

 

“I’m in a rush, I’ll see you another time,” Joohyun refused and wanting to walk away. Her heart was beating unusually fast.

 

“you wouldn’t want troubles start finding your family,” and the same alarming voice halted her footsteps. Turning to the lady she came to fear the most, she got in the car reluctantly.

 

Meanwhile, Taehyung immediately got into his car and sped towards the bus stand. From a far, he noticed Joohyun got into a familiar car and as he saw the car plate number, he realized it was his family car which often used by his parents. He tailed behind the car in a safe distance.

 

-

 

The car pulled to a stop after a good 15 minutes’ drive. Joohyun look out from the window and noticed they were at a coffee shop, the place she came to fear the most ever since the conversation they had 7 years ago. Following the lady’s footsteps into the café, the same ominous feeling haunting her again. Min Hae Sook brought her up to the upper floor taking a seat on the exact same table. When the waiter took their order, Joohyun remembered that man. It was the same person who served them then as well and she assumed he must be the owner of the café.

 

“I never thought I would need to see you again after so many years,” Min Hae Sook said while watching the waitress placed their order on the table.

 

Instantaneously, Joohyun took the teapot and filled up Min Hae Sook’s cup. She remembered very well what the older lady said when she met her 7 years ago. Her hand was shaking while pouring the tea.

 

“After 7 years, you still have not changed,” Min Hae Sook said while checking on the diamond rings around her fingers. Joohyun peeped at her in fear, unsure what she would be saying next. “Oh no, I should complement you,” she laughed, sarcastically. “Now you’re even better, stoop so low to an extent of becoming a third party, sticking to a married man. What do we call that?”

 

Joohyun lowered her head, placing her clasped hands on her lap.

 

“A ?”

 

Min Hae Sook never fail to impress Joohyun with her malign and spiteful insults. At that very moment, she wanted to leave so much but her body was not listening to her. She was too shocked to even more.

 

“7 years ago, didn’t you leave him so that he could have a brighter future? He’s married with someone who could help his career, why would you want to kill him now?” her vicious voice was killing Joohyun. “How worthless can you be, you even choose to be his mistress?”

 

If words could kill a person, Min Hae Sook would be a serial killer Joohyun thought. No matter how much she wanted to fight back, Joohyun couldn’t find the right thing to say. And perhaps, the little one in her do agree what she was saying, Joohyun thought. She’s indeed Taehyung’s mistress.

 

“Did you forget what I said 7 years ago?”

 

-Winter 2011-

 

“You’ve been Taehyung’s tutor for quite some time, how’s his performance?”

 

“Taehyung-ssi had been doing very well, in the latest performance examination, his results were way above the teachers’ expectation,” Joohyun explained and briefed the lady on her son’s performance.

 

Min Hae Sook smiled and was pleased “that’s good to know, at least he’s on par with Jennie’s academic performance now.”

 

Joohyun’s expression changed and Min Hae Sook did not miss it, she laughed. “What kind of relationship you want to have with Taehyung or I should be more precise, what kind of relationship you think you could have with him?”

 

“But...” Joohyun stuttered but she knew she needs to muster up her courage and fight back “We love one another, we will be in a relationship officially once we graduate.”

 

“Of course, I know and that’s the reason why we are here,” Min Hae Sook took a sip of the tea.  “Should I be thankful that you’ve changed Taehyung so much or find you a nuisance that stand on my way?” Min Hae Sook looked up to the young lady with her intimidating vicious eyes that send chill down Joohyun’s spine. “I don’t mean to be harsh to you but you left me with no other option other than letting you know your own worth and stop the disaster from happening.”

 

“What do you mean?” Joohyun’s voice was shaking, her hands were trembling.

 

“Taehyung will be YJ Group’s heir, he needs someone strong to be with him and Kim Jennie is the one.” Min Hae Sook crossed her arms before her chest and stared still at Joohyun, “You may be the daughter of his father’s best friend but your father is only someone who is getting benefits from my husband. Jennie is different, she will be someone huge in the banking industry in the near future.”

 

“Taehyung doesn’t like her, we are in love with each other…”

 

Min Hae Sook cut her off, “this is just a puppy love.”

 

“We are serious,” Joohyun retorted. “And for you to meet me personally, you’re worried too.”

 

The lady before her smiled meaningfully, a smile which Joohyun not quite sure the meaning behind. “You’re indeed very smart and because of that I have to meet you in person and make sure you co-operate with me.”

 

Joohyun waited for her to continue.

 

“You may stand at the threshold of his life at this juncture of time, but that doesn’t mean you are good enough for him, child.” Min Hae Sook leaned in and without Joohyun realizing, her eyes were captured by her. “Be clear with your place young lady, don’t try to walk pass every door you see without realizing your own worth.”
 

“I will not step back unless Taehyung doesn’t want it,” Joohyun said firmly, steadfast with her decision. “So what did you plan on doing with me going against your wish?”

 

Min Hae Sook smirked “You’re really smart and I can’t help but to fall for you more.” Looking straight into her eyes sternly, she said “I knew you are a stubborn person, for that I would give you a valuable lesson.”

 

Joohyun wasn’t sure what she meant by that.

 

“I’m pretty close with the principal of Julliard Music School. For the upcoming scholarship submission, don’t waste time submitting, they will not entertain you,” Min Hae Sook stated.

 

Joohyun’s heart skipped to a beat, tears entering her eyes “how could you be so cruel, you’re ruining a teenager’s future.”

 

“There’s a price to pay for every choice you make,” Min Hae Sook put on her Gucci shade, “you never learn your lesson Bae Joohyun. How many times are you going to lose the scholarship for a boy, for a puppy love?”

 

The young girl shook her head in disbelief after listening to the ridiculous revelation, “It’s pointless for me to even beg you…”

 

“This would serve as your lifetime reminder, know your worth, know your place. Be responsible with what you’ve done, you won’t want your family to be paying the price for you. I hope I’ve made myself clear.” Min Hae Sook got up leaving the café.

 

The clicks of her high heels sound gradually grew softer, the tears that Joohyun was holding back made it way down to her chin uncontrollably.

 

-Winter 2018-

 

“I should have gotten someone strong to finish off your family.”

 

Joohyun raised her voice upon hearing that “I followed your instruction and disappeared from Taehyung’s life 7 years ago, why did you still need to lay your hand on family? If it wasn’t my family got into trouble, do you think I would be near Taehyung.”

 

“Because your father stood on my way,” Min Hae Sook sighed, “you’re so much like your father, both of you are really a great annoyance. Perhaps, I really belittled you.”

 

Before Joohyun could say another word, her phone rang and it was from the hospital. The moment she answered the call, the alarming voice of the nurse made her legs turned weak.

 

Ending the call in a rush, Joohyun turned to Min Hae Sook bravely “have you ever truly love Taehyung? When he has gone through so much in his childhood, did you even do something for him?” rising from her seat, she said “I’m glad that things turned out this way, this time, I won’t step back. You can’t threaten me anymore.” She turned around and readied to leave.

 

“Not even when I’m to tell your family about your relationship with him?”

 

Joohyun turned to her over her shoulder and said “I can’t control you.”

 

When she rushed over to the stairs, she saw the familiar man, his eyes were fixed on her.

 

“Taehyung…”

 

He walked up to her and grasped on her forearm, “wait for me, I just need a word with my mum.” She could feel his free hand on her hips gently pushing her forward to the flight of stairs.

 

Min Hae Sook surprised to see Taehyung, she knew he had eavesdropped their conversation.

 

“Taehyung-ah, why would you be-”

 

“Stay away from her,” Taehyung cut her off, his voice was stern and firm. “lay your hand on her again, I’ll make sure appa find out what you’ve been doing behind his back all this while.”

 

She walked up to her son and grabbed hold on his arm, “Taehyung-ah, stop this. You have Jennie already why did you attached yourself with that again?”

 

Taehyung swung her hand off his, “Watch your mouth! Joohyun was right, what have you done for me as a mother? Thank you, I have to thank you for untangling our final knot. I always thought she didn’t love me, but she sacrificed so much for me.”

 

“You will regret!” Min Hae Sook shouted while watching her son walked away from her.

 

-

 

Rushing out from the café, Taehyung saw Joohyun was trying to hail a cab. He quickly pulled her back and was shocked to see her teary eyes.

 

“I told you to wait for me…” his voice softened.

 

Holding on his arms weakly, Joohyun sniffled “Eemo…doctor just saved her from a respiratory arrest, the nurse called for me to be there faster.”

 

“Let’s go,” he held on her hand and led her to his car.

 

During the journey to the hospital, Joohyun never stop crying. Taehyung noticed she is turning more and more pale as time pass. Reaching for her hand, he held on it tightly. Trying to give her any sort of support he could. When they arrived at the lobby, Joohyun ran towards the lift and rushed to Yoon Hwa’s ward. She halted her steps when the familiar alarm and announcement filled the floor, the PA system announcing code blue in the VIP Ward.

 

“Eemo…”

 

Taehyung caught up with Joohyun and pulled her towards the ward. From the crack of the door, she saw the medical crew were trying hard in resuscitating Kim Yoon Hwa.

 

“You’re finally here, go in, she might leave any time,” the doctor said in a low voice.

 

Joohyun immediately walked into the ward and grabbed hold of Yoon Hwa’s cold hand. “I found out, I know everything. You’re not my aunt, you’re my birth mum, isn’t it? Eomma…”

 

Her tears drenched her pale face, Joohyun can’t stop her tears as she watched the lifeless woman whom she had called her aunt for all her life but turned out to be her birth mother lying weakly on the bed. She knew Yoon Hwa is really leaving this time. “Eomma, can you hear me? I’m sorry…I’m really sorry…”

 

Yoon Hwa barely get to bring her hand up to Joohyun’s face, she could feel Yoon Hwa’s hand on her tightened “Joohyun…” she uttered weakly. “I’m…sor-ry…I lo-ve…you…”

 

Joohyun held on her hand tightly, “eomma…don’t leave me, please…”

 

Suddenly, Yoon Hwa had difficulty in breathing “live…well…sor-ry…” within seconds, Joohyun felt her hand loosened. The machine that attached to her chest soon stopped beeping and soon filled with dejected silence only Joohyun’s agonizing cries can be heard.

 

Joohyun got up and pressing hardly on the assistance bell, “doctor!!!” she screamed and cried hysterically. Taehyung tried holding and calming her down.

 

Nurses were sad as they witnessed the young lady who always accompanied Kim Yoon Hwa broke down terribly.

 

“Why…why did you all lie to me,” Joohyun shouted, she tried breaking free from Taehyung but he refused to release her. He knew she’s not stable now and he needed to stop her from hurting herself. “I didn’t do my part as her daughter…we only get to reunite for a minute and eomma is gone…” she kept hitting on her chest, miserably.

 

“Joohyun-ie, don’t do this,” he grabbed hold on her petite hands and tightened his embrace around her. “You’ll hurt yourself, Aunt Yoon Hwa won’t want to see you like this.”

 

None of the medic crew dare to enter the ward or to separate them to do the remaining procedures, giving them the final moments together. After Taehyung settled all the paper works for Yoon Hwa’s funeral arrangements with the hospital representatives, he returned to the ward and found out Joohyun was gone. The nurse passed him a message left by her, she told her that she needed some time alone and she would be fine. Even so, Taehyung was still worried.

 

“Taehyung…” Jimin walked up to the taller man, “how’s Joohyun?”

 

Taehyung showed him the piece of message she left for him, “she left alone when I was clearing the papers.”

 

Patting on his back, Jimin said “she’ll be fine, time is all she needs for now.”

 

“I sent you the details, please manage the funeral for me,” Taehyung lowered his head, “Joohyun want it simple. I can’t let her be a lone during this time, I’ll go search for her.”

 

Squeezing on his shoulder, Jimin nodded “call me if you need anything.”

 

-

 

Taehyung drove around the places Joohyun always go but to no avail, there’s no traces of her. She wasn’t with Seungwan or Seulgi too. Driving back home, the last place left which he thought that’s the last place Joohyun would want to be at. Walking into their room, he heard the water running sound.

 

“Joohyun, are you in there? You came back?” he knocked on the door, “you can talk to me whenever you want, don’t be so hard to yourself.”

 

Standing in front of the bathroom, he noticed she had been inside for more than 15 minutes and he’s becoming more worried. Finding it strange and knocked on the door again but there was still no response. He tried to opened the door but it was locked and at that very moment, he hated himself for not knowing where he kept all the spare keys. No choice, he kicked on the door and barged into the bathroom. His heart almost stops to see Joohyun kneeling under the shower soullessly, all soaked. The cold water was hitting on her and he wondered for how long had she been there.

 

“Joohyun!!!” he ran

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter