Ephemeral Separation

Devastating Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Opening the door, Joohyun was surprised to see her brother and sister-in-law. Just when she was about to greet them, Baekhyun raised his hand and slapped hardly on her Joohyun causing her lose balance. Taehyung was stunned by his sudden action and ran up to Joohyun to catch her fall.

 

“Yeobo…” Taeyeon tried to calm him down.

 

“Bae Joohyun, how could you stoop so low. You’re exactly like your mother now, breaking other people’s family, a !”

 

Joohyun pressed on her swelling cheek whilst turning to her brother, “I want an apology! You can’t insult eomma this way!”

 

“It’s the truth, she ruined our family, that’s all Kim Yoon Hwa did in the past!”

 

Taehyung’s heart was racing as he watched Joohyun’s fiery eyes never stop glaring the older man before her. He has never heard her speaking so loudly to Baekhyun. “Bae Baekhyun, I warn you, not to put such disgrace accuse on eomma.”

 

“That’s what she has done,” Baekhyun said through gritted teeth, “I can’t imagine you’re following her footsteps now! What now, did you choose to be a slave?” he was beyond angry with the fact that the accusation made by the informer was a truth.

 

Tears entered her eyes upon hearing his last statement, Joohyun swallowed hard and bit on her inner cheek, trying hard to hold back her tears. “Do you even know why I’m doing this? It was you mother that sold me off to this man, that one person who can save SH Enterprise then.” Her lips were trembling as she recalled the memories of that afternoon when Kim Yoon Mi broke the news to her abusively. “I may love him very much, but there was not even once I’ve thought of doing such sinful thing but it was the woman you all made me call her eomma that have pushed me on Kim Taehyung’s bed in order to save our family business. She made me sell my body to the man that can save us.”

 

Taehyung held on her shoulder softly squeezing it as if telling her to stop. In spite of the fact that whatever she said was the truth, he didn’t like how she worded it. He hated how she outlined herself so lowly. At that very minute, he was overwhelmed with guilt on how he lured her into this wicked relationship.

 

Taeyeon held on her husband’s tightened fist, trying her best to calm him down “let’s talk things out instead of throwing each other vicious words this way. Taehyung-ssi, let’s get into the house.” Walking into the apartment shared by the two, Taeyeon said “It’s about time to tell her the truth, you shouldn’t lead her on anymore. She has every right to know what happened in the past, stop hiding it from her. We’re not doing any good.”

 

The moment the four of them settled down in the living room, Baekhyun began the story that entailed on the star-crossed lovers of their previous generation. From the very beginning, their grandparents favored Joohyun’s mother, Kim Yoon Hwa more for she excelled in both her academic and sports. Yoon Hwa was a better person, always kind and warm-hearted to everyone around her. But she was an ambitious person and due to that, she left Korea to pursue her music career. Kim Yooon Mi fell in love with Bae Seung Hoon and they got married after their graduation. When Yoon Hwa came back from USA, she was shocked by the news and apparently, she was in a relationship with Seung Hoon since they were in their first year of high school. Yoon Hwa had asked for their father to wait for her while she establish her career as a musician. Things were fine until one day during Seung Hoon and Yoon Mi’s anniversary trip, Yoon Hwa was there as well and she was pregnant. Ever since that trip, Yoon Mi kicked her sister out from the family and broke all ties with her. Bae Seung Hoon insisted on bringing Joohyun into the family despite Yoon Mi’s strong opposition.

 

“Was it because Kim Yoon Hwa didn’t want me?” a tear escaped Joohyun’s eye.

 

Baekhyun shook his head, “It was appa, he didn’t want you to follow her to USA. He wanted to give you a complete family, a healthier environment.”

 

Looking away to avoid her brother’s eye contact, she sobbed “how is it healthy when I was abused since small. Even when I grown up, she never stops hitting me. Whenever she’s not happy, I would be her punching bag.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Baekhyun was astonished by the revelation which he didn’t really want to accept.

 

Taeyeon held on his arm, “is true, I’ve witnessed it several time.”

 

“Do you really think I want to wear long sleeve shirts during summer?” Joohyun laughed painfully, “it was because my arms were full with bruises.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me about it?” Baekhyun’s voice was laced with guilt.

 

“Because I was guilty that I caused her miscarriage many years ago,” Joohyun looked up to her brother and asked “but that was another lie you all made up, wasn’t it? Kim Yoon Mi, the person I called my mum all these years, she’s always wanted to kill me because I’m not her daughter, right?”

 

Baekhyun lowered his head, unable to face the younger girl directly “we were just trying to protect you.”

 

“I would rater not have a complete family in return for a pure love from my real mother,” Joohyun closed her eyes, letting more tears flowed down her pale face. “It may be her fault for ruining your family, but is appa not wrong? If he really loves your mum, this tragedy would not happen. It’s not completely her fault.” Looking up to face Baekhyun with her teary face, she said “you all robbed the love eomma could have from a daughter, you all took away my rights to know the truth, but now is too late…she’s gone…”

 

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun closed his weary eyes, overwhelmed with the situation they were in.

 

“Taeyeon noona,” Taehyung finally spoken after a long silent moment, “do you mind to bring Joohyun into the room and rest?”

 

Getting the hint from the man who used to be a troublemaker to her in school those days, Taeyeon nodded and walked up to the vulnerable pint-sized lady. “You need some rest, Joohyun.”

 

After the sound of the door closing, Taehyung heaved a silent sigh before looking up to the man he respected very much. “Hyung, let me explain, it’s not Joohyun’s fault.”

 

“What’s with you and her?” Baekhyun’s expression hardened upon hearing the latter’s voice. “Tell me, what exactly my sister is to you?”

 

“She’s my everything,” Taehyung said as a matter of fact.

 

“What the hell is going on?” Baekhyun held on his aching temple before slumping down on the couch behind him. “What was Joohyun saying?”

 

“The day I visited Uncle Bae, your mum came to me. During the time SH Enterprise was facing crisis, she offered Joohyun to me,” Taehyung calmly reveal the conversation he had with Kim Yoon Mi. “She wanted me to save SH and that’s how everything started. I’m the owner of H&H.”

 

“With or without Joohyun,” Baekhyun’s brows furrowed “you would have help us, isn’t it?”

 

“Hyung, I’m sorry,” Taehyung looked at the elder man, apologetically. “I love her, I love her very much even back in school days but because of some misunderstandings, we separated.”

 

“Taehyung, you’re a married man now,” Baekhyun questioned, “how are you going to resolve this?”

 

“I need a little more time to settle some internal issues before I can be a free man and give Joohyun true happiness,” Taehyung tightened his fist, tensed.

 

“How could you give her happiness? Jennie is pregnant, you’re becoming a father soon!” Baekhyun took a deep breath, trying hard not to lose his cool again “even if you could be a heartless man and abandon your wife and kid, what would other think and see Joohyun? Have you ever thought about the consequences you all have to face?”

 

“The baby is not mine,” Taehyung said.

 

“I don’t know what’s going on between three of you but I don’t wish to see Joohyun get hurt,” Baekhyun sighed, “I know I have no right to say it when I’m not any better, but please, protect her.”

 

“Please give me a little more time, I won’t let anyone hurt Joohyun.” Taehyung gave assurance to the elder man.

 

“As long as Joohyun is safe with you, I’ll make sure our parents will know nothing about this.”

 

“Hyung, how did you find about us?” Taehyung turned serious.

 

“Jennie came to me,” Baekhyun revealed. “She was rather harsh…”

 

Taehyung’s expression darkened upon hearing the name he came to detest most. He knew his so called wife has made her first move and he have to stop her from hurting the love of his life.

 

In the room Joohyun shared with Taehyung over the past year, she was seated on the bed side, eyes reddened. Taeyeon held on her shoulder, offering any sort of comfort she could to the younger lady.

 

“I knew things had been tough for you, Joohyun,” Taeyeon sat next to her, “trust me, whatever they did it was for the best for you. Yoon Hwa Ajuhmma wanted you to have a complete family, that’s why she sacrificed herself. She wanted you to be happy.”

 

“Unnie, when did you find out about this?” Joohyun knew the older lady didn’t know about this right from the beginning, she wouldn’t have hidden the truth from her given her personality.

 

“There was once when your brother was talking to appa about Yoon Hwa Ajuhmma’s condition and I unintentionally eavesdropped their conversation,” Taeyeon lowered her head, “Baekhyun wanted to tell you everything but appa against his decision.”

 

“I wasn’t happy at all…”

 

Taeyeon turned to her and the sight of her crystal tears fell from her eyes pained her heart.

 

“All this while, I’ve been living in a lie, a life created by all of them with a reasoning that they love me. What about eomma then?” more tears flowed down her face, “I was always there with her but she couldn’t even tell me, she can’t even love me as a mother.”

 

“I’m sorry,” Taeyeon pulled the fragile lady into her arms.

 

“And now, oppa see me as a …”

 

“Silly girl, he just blurted it out because he was raging. He didn’t mean it,” Taeyeon rested her chin on Joohyun’s head while patting on her back. “But what do you plan to do? Taehyung being a married man is a fact that you can’t change. What are you going to do?”

 

“We really do love one another…” she said weakly.

 

“Since school days, I can see that,” Taeyeon stated, “then why did you let him go when you love him so much.”

 

“Because god was never kind to us…I love him, unnie…I really do…”

 

-

 

A week later, Taehyung decided to personally attended the progress meeting for the building renewal which usually attended by Jimin as the submission timeline drawing to a closure soon.

Both YJ Group and Seoul Investment Bank’s teams changed the meeting to a fortnightly basis and this week’s meeting was held at Jennie’s office. After the meeting ended, all the staff from both teams could sensed their bosses needed some time alone. They exited the board room leaving Taehyung and Jennie alone.

 

“What an honor to finally have Mr. Kim Taehyung sit in for this meeting,” Jennie got up from her chairman seat. “I thought you don’t care about this project at all,” she smirked, wanting to make her way towards the exit.

 

Taehyung got up and grabbed hold on her wrist before turning to women with his usual cold eyes. “You know I’m not only here for this meeting, Kim Jennie…”

 

A smile crept on her face, her dark red colored lips curled up upon hearing his words. “Kim Taehyung, you’re finally making your move, already?” looking up to the man she loved deeply, “do you really think I no nothing on the things you have in your sleeve? You belittled me too much.” she daunted.

 

With her being straightforward, he didn’t want to beat around the bush either. “Since you know about this and expected what I’m about to tell you, I’m not going to waste any of our time.” Taking hold on his ipad, he passed it to Jennie “the things in here is sufficient to bring your father down.”

 

She held on the tablet and check on it with her shaking hands.

 

“If I am to report this to KICAC, you would be in trouble too since you’ve been authorized to sign on all these documents,” Taehyung seated on the swivel chair again, “you wouldn’t want to be a scapegoat, do you?”

 

“What exactly do you want to gain from this?” Jennie threw the ipad on the long meeting table before leaning in to get a glimpse of Taehyung’s devilish smirk.

 

“Simple,” he crossed his arms before his chest and looked up to the flustered lady, “I want my father and YJ Group be freed from Seoul Investment Bank for all future projects and you are to return to me all the evidence you all are holding for the tower in Busan.”

 

Jennie laughed, “hilarious, do you think that building is the only one your father received corruptions? Despite knowing those buildings did not meet the safety requirement, he went ahead to endorsed on the plans. You really think Kim Young Jae could be safe after retrieving all the evidence?”

 

“Busan Tower is the only building left that could be audited by the government,” Taehyung retorted before eyeing at Jennie, “There is another option for me to deal with this without needing your co-operation but I don’t wish my father know any of this and I’m giving you a chance.”

 

“Kim Taehyung, you came well prepared,” she snorted, “but you miscalculated one thing, there’s one more important document you wouldn’t have and that would be enough for me to make YJ Group vanish. Eventually SH Enterprise would be impacted as well, is that what you really want?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You know well what I meant,” Jennie smiled, feeling smug knowing she somehow won the man before him. “well, there’s one thing Yoongi didn’t got it. When a man falls in love, they’ll be careless.”

 

“What do you want?” Taehyung pursed his lips.

 

“For you to have done so much all this while, I’m interested to know what do you want to gain from this,” Jennie returned the question to the fury Taehyung.

 

“Kim Dae Suk to step down from his position and a divorce.”

 

She chuckled, “interesting, the first one, that’s what I’d wanted too as for the latter, it’s not surprising.” Pacing up to the man, she placed her arm around his shoulders and whispered in his ear “since we have the same plan, I’ll agree to you…with a few conditions…”

 

“Spill it…” he said, coldly.

 

Parting from him, she continued “I want one year from you. I need you to make sure that my baby will be safe within this one year and we, should behave like how others are.”

 

Taehyung rolled his eyes and glared hardly at Jennie whilst waiting for her to continue her nonsense.

 

“We should be a pair of lovely husband and wife. You mustn’t see Joohyun during this one year,” taking a seat next to him, she said “if you could do this, I’ll make sure everything come to a close after this one year’s time end.”

 

Taehyung stared still at the woman who are negotiating with him, he was disgusted by her true face. He really did belittle her.

 

“The person that came well prepared was you, Kim Jennie,” he smirked.

 

-

 

After the confrontation with Taehyung, Jennie returned back to her office to clear off some paperwork before preparing to leave for lunch. She was happy. Despite Taehyung remained silent and left without giving her an answer, yet. But she knew, somehow the man who hated her would agree to her conditions. Just when she was about to step out from her office, Min Hae Sook came.

 

“Sweetie, I knew you have not taken your lunch,” the lady smiled, “I’ll bring you out for lunch, I can’t let my daughter in law and grandchild to starve.”

 

“Eomma, I was about to go out for lunch,” she linked her arm with the lady’s “I’m sorry to make you worry about me again.”

 

“Jennie-ah, you’re going to be a mother soon,” Min Hae Sook pressed on the lift button, “You shouldn’t be like Taehyung only prioritize your career.”

 

“Once we’re done with the building renewal, we’ll have more time,” Jennie escorted the lady into the lift “I’m slowing down already, eomma. I’ll be passing a lot of works to my deputy so that she can take over during my absence,” she smiled.

 

“I’m glad to hear that,” Min Hae Sook held on Jennie’s hand “I guess Taehyung would work with you on this as well?”

 

“Of course, he is,” Jennie beamed “he was here earlier. Usually Jimin-ssi would attend the meeting but he was worried about me and started to sit in for the meeting this week so that I could be less burdened.”

 

Min Hae Sook smirked, “I presume things are improving for you two.”

 

Jennie nodded her head with a blush before getting into the car. During lunch, Min Hae Sook was sharing her experience of her pregnancy and how she has to endured her first trimester.

 

“Is the vomiting still bad?” Min Hae Sook asked while refilling the herbal soup for Jennie. “Mine was really bad then, I couldn’t even eat.”

 

“Eomma, let me do it,” Jennie grasped on Hae Seok’s hand.

 

“No worries sweety, I want you to give birth to a healthy baby.”

 

“My appetite is good, everything is good,” Jennie grinned while placing her hand on her small baby bump.

 

“I’m happy for you.”

 

“Eomma, I’ll excuse myself to the ladies for a while,” Jennie walked out from the private room to the washroom.

 

As Jennie walked out from the washroom, out of sudden a huge man in black walking towards her direction. Her heart was thumping in fear, she took small steps backwards when they closed in their gap.

 

“What do you want, who are you?” Jennie continued stepping back.

 

“Someone wants to get rid of you,” the tallest man said in his hoarse voice.

 

At that very moment, the first person that came to her mind was Taehyung. “Don’t you dare to come any nearer, this is a public place,” Jennie stammered with her quivering lips. “Eomma…” she shouted when the man didn’t stop his advances.

 

“Young lady, you forgotten whom owned this restaurant? What makes you think we could enter so easily?”

 

Jennie shivered upon realizing what the man meant. She noticed how quiet the restaurant was today when they arrived but she did not care much as she thought Min Hae Sook wanted privacy and closed the restaurant for themselves. Her heart was racing and just when she was about to reach for her phone, the man grabbed hold on her arm. Jennie pulled back wanting to find way to escaped and just when she gets rid of the man’s arm, she slipped and fell from the flight of stairs and landed hard on her stomach.

 

She could feel a sharp pain on her stomach, cold sweat was forming on her forehead, “help me…please…”

 

“Job done?” Min Hae Sook came from behind. She turned to the wriggling woman over her shoulder, “make sure this is cleaned properly,” she walked away, coldly.

 

-

 

“Taehyung…” the caller’s breaths were short and quick; his voice was laced with horror.

 

Taehyung held on his iphone whilst checking on the financial report before him, “what’s wrong Park Jimin, did you run a marathon or went into a haunted-”

 

“Jennie had a miscarriage,” Jimin cut him off, “she fell from the long stairs at your mum’s restaurant.”

 

“When did it happened?” Taehyung looked up from his piles of documents, frowning.

 

“After the progress meeting, during lunch,” Jimin took a deep breath, “all the CCTV had not been working for the past days, she was sent to the emergency ward by Mrs. Kim’s assistant. Her bodyguards are guarding her ward now.”

 

“Who else know about this?”

 

“Taehyung, you know Mrs. Kim best. Everything is kept in the cleanest manner.” Jimin informed.

 

“I’ll handle it,” Taehyung ended the call and rose from his seat, making his way towards the room he came to loathed most.

 

“Young Master Taehyung, Mrs. Kim is in a tele-conference,” the young assistant tried to stop the raging man from barging into Min Hae Sook’s office but to no avail.

 

“It’s alright Nancy, you may leave for today.” Min Hae Sook placed her fountain pen back to the pen holder before looking up to her son without any emotions.

 

When the doors closed, Taehyung voice filled the aloof room “do you have to go to that extent? She could have lost her life.”

 

“Isn’t this what you wanted when you gave me the DNA report, Taehyung-ie?” Min Hae Sook got up and paced up to her son. “Tell me, what was your intention when you get someone to give me that report? You should feel relieved now that I’ve got rid that problem for you.”

 

“You’re insane,” Taehyung turned to Min Hae Sook, feeling more distant grew between them.

 

“Well, this doesn’t mean you could divorce her. Kim Jennie will still be your one and only wedded wife.”

 

“Have you ever treated me as your son?” Taehyung bit on his lower lip.

 

“Taehyung, I wanted the best for you,” Min Hae Sook had a devilish smile on her face as she opened forth both her arms indicating all that she has gotten, “I’ve paved this road for you, you’re the sole heir to this empire.”

 

Taehyung laughed, bitterly “you wanted the best for yourself, you wanted this empire all by yourself. And I, I’m just a tool for you to have all this.”

 

“When you set you foot on the peak, you will understand all that I’ve done was for you to have the best thing in this world.”

 

“Bringing me to this world, was the cruelest thing you’ve ever done. Ruining the life of each and everyone around us.”

 

-

 

“Get out…go away…all of you are murderer…” Jennie pushed all the things on the table and forced the nurses get out from the ward. She was a disaster.

 

“Mrs. Kim, you need to take this medication,” the nurse attempted to stop the messed-up woman again.

 

“Let me do it…”

 

The young nurse looked up to the emotionless man before passing the medication to him.

 

“Min Yoongi, why did you come?” Jennie slapped his hand off from getting hold on her. Tears never stop rolling down her face. “Our baby is gone now, are you happy?”

 

Grabbing hold on her wrist strongly, Yoongi pulled her forward and tried to coaxed her in his arms “you need to take this.”

 

She threw weak punches on his chest “why are you so cruel, why didn’t you save me. Our baby is dead now,” she choked between her tears “is that really what you want?”

 

“Do you really want to have a baby with me or you were just using this to strengthen your position as Mrs. Kim?” his low voice sends chills down her spine. She froze in his arms and tears stopped almost instantly. Pulling her away from him, he carried her back on the bed and placed the medicine on her palms before filling up a glass of water.

 

“You just wanted to make sure Taehyung can’t get rid of you and for that you needed to have an heir in order to gain support from Min Hae Sook,” he took her hand and passed the glass of water to her. “But you played your cards wrongly, Jennie. Min Hae Sook isn’t someone you could deceive.”

 

“How-”

 

Her shaky voice was cut off by the calm man, “How did I know?” he chuckled, “no one know you better than I do.”

 

Jennie remained silent, her hold on the glass tightened.

 

“I’m glad things turned out this way. The baby will only be a victim of our mistake,” shoving his hands into the pocket of his pants, he said “that one thing you mentioned, we have obtained that long ago. Taehyung was giving you a chance but you opted the tough way out.” He shook his head and turned towards the door.

 

“Yoongi…do you love me?”

 

“None of us have a right to have an answer to this question.”

 

-

 

“Shouldn’t you be with your wife at times like this?” Kim Young Jae entered his son’s office.

 

Taehyung looked up to his father from his documents, “Appa, you’re still around.” Judging from his expression, he can tell his father came with a purpose and it wouldn’t just be their usual casual chat.

 

“I’m asking you a question,” Kim Young Jae said firmly.

 

“I won’t be of any help even if I’m there, the housemaids are taking good care of her,” Taehyung continued with his work, trying his best to avoid any sort of possibility to quarrel with his father.

 

“How could you be so heartless,” he raised his voice at his son, “Why did you turned into such a man. In order to reach your goal, you got married with Jennie and planned so much. Just how long you took to planned all this?”

 

Taehyung got up from his seat, losing his cool “how much do you know? You trusted eomma and uncle so much, do you even know what they had been doing behind your back?”

 

“Even so, you shouldn’t have threatened Kim Dae Suk and Jennie and make them succumbed to your conditions.” Kim Young Jae’s voice was loud and furious. “Jennie is innocent! I’ve never taught you to be such a person.”

 

“What exactly have you taught me?” Taehyung flared up, surprising his father. “All those years when eomma was hiding me under Ahjumma’s care, when I was ually abused, where were you? Have you ever taken care of me like how other parents will do?”

 

Taehyung didn’t let Kim Young Jae have a chance to explain as he continued “all you’ve done was comparing me with other people’s kids and Jin hyung. You’ve never acknowledged what I’ve done and accomplished.” He shook his head in despair “I tried so hard in changing the culture and the way we have been working all these years but still, you all insist to go ahead with corruptions.”

 

“That’s how things work in this world,” Kim Young Jae tried to reason with Taehyung.

 

“That’s the most ridiculous answer one could say,” Taehyung raised his voice. “If I’ve not done things that you detested, we could’ve been charged by KICAC for corruptions.” Looking away from his father, Taehyung tried to calm down “Kim Young Chul and eomma were the cause of Uncle Bae’s company fell in crisis, they tried getting rid of them in the dirtiest way possible.”

 

“You may think what I’ve done was unfair to Jennie but I compensated her with a safe and crime free future. She wouldn’t need to worry about spending her life behind the bars. I will not back down with what I’ve started.” Taehyung lowered his head, tiredly and walked away from his father. Holding on the door handle, Taehyung added “I’m not the heartless man here, that one person I felt guilty with was only Jin hyung’s eomma.”

 

-

 

Joohyun was all busy working at the kitchen counter that she was oblivious that Taehyung came into the penthouse. He was drained after the heated argument he had with his father but the sight of his love one, comforted him. He sauntered towards the kitchen and wrapped his arms around Joohyun’s waist drawing her closer to him.

 

“Oh my god, you frightened me,” Joohyun squealed and hit on his long arm around her. Turning her head to the man who rested his chin on her shoulder, her lips was close to his “you looked tired…”

 

Taehyung leaned in and captured her lips, deeply “indeed, and I need some booster from you.”  He held on her head keeping their lips connected when she tried to move away. She was taken aback by how intense he turned the kiss into. Feeling her squeezing on his arm around her waist, he knew she needed to breathe and so he released her and rested his forehead on hers.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“I need to feel you,” he pecked on her lips again before releasing her. “What did you cook? Do you know I had a rough day at work that’s why you’re cooking for me?”

 

Circling her arms around his neck while he held on her hips, she said “I don’t need a reason to cook for you.” She leaned in and nuzzled his nose with hers. “Go freshen up a bit, it’ll be ready once you come out.”

 

It was obvious that Taehyung don’t have any appetite but he was forcing himself to eat for the person who had prepared the dinner for him. Holding on his weary hand, Joohyun gentle squeeze pulled him back from his deep thoughts.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter