An offer

Devastating Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung made a trip back to the Kim Mansion after watching Joohyun reached home safely. He needed to retrieve something he had left in his room years ago. As he opened the door and walked into the mansion that was filled with woeful silence, he was welcomed by the maidservants. They were sending signs to him to not enter the main living room. Almost instantly, he got the signal and tried to make his way towards the long flight of stairs to his room but he was stopped by a grumpy voice. 

  

“Look at him, he doesn’t even want to greet us now,” Mrs. Kim purposely said loud enough to draw her son’s attention. 

  

“Appa, eomma…” Taehyung bowed as he walked towards them. “I didn’t know you all are back from Boston.” 

  

“Of course you don’t,” Mrs. Kim sneered. “I bet you don’t even remember today was your wedding announcement. I’m sure Jimin would have preempted you beforehand.” She rolled her eyes, annoyance laced in her mocking smile. “Your fiancée was there, Kim Taehyung.” 

  

“Her presence, our attendance was originally not in the agenda,” Taehyung’s brow furrowed.  

  

Mr. Kim knew his son’s patience was wearing thin, he paced up to Taehyung and held on his shoulder before whispering “she purposely made adjustment to her schedule in the States to attend today’s press conference but unexpectedly the groom to be was missing in action.” He nudged on his son’s side body, “your eomma was furious this afternoon.” 

  

Suppressing his vexed face expression, he said “Thought you both would have stayed at hyung’s place a little longer if not I would have make some arrangement with the PR team.” 

  

“I’ve arranged it but you chose to be an escapee,” his mother was very upset and didn’t want to stop. 

  

“Tch! Eomma…” Taehyung gave a grimace of irritation which earned him a smack on his back from Mr. Kim.  

  

“behave…” the older man muttered and walked up to his wife, holding on the small of her back “go up and rest, you didn’t even rest a bit since we touched down this morning.” 

  

Turning over to Taehyung with a hard glare, Mrs. Kim scoffed “look at us, two old abandoned parents. The first one went to Boston for the violin and another who is in Korea don’t even come back to check on us after moving out. How pathetic we are…” 

  

“Ya, ya, ya, quickly go up and rest,” Mr. Kim escorted his grumpy wife towards the flight of stairs. Turning over to his youngest son, he smiled teasingly “Happy seeing her transformed into an angry mama?” 

 

A smile grew on his face before looking up again at his father, “It wasn’t my intention at all, I came back to get something only.” 

  

“Do you have some time to spare for this ‘old abandoned man’” he imitated Mrs. Kim’s tone. 

  

Taehyung nodded his head with a smile and followed Mr. Kim to the topiary garden of the mansion. “I was brewing some tea before you came back and your mum’s fussy voice drew my attention.” 

  

“How is hyung in Boston?” Taehyung asked before taking a sip on the tea. 

  

“Great of course,” Mr. Kim shrugged and the earlier smile on his face disappeared. “I mean, that’s what he loves most, other than great I don’t even know what other word I can describe him.” 

  

“You miss having him around.” 

  

Crossing his arms before his chest, Mr. Kim sighed “wouldn’t it be good if he could work with you in YJ Group? Then you wouldn’t be so overwhelmed with work. I’m getting old, there’ll come a time when I need to step down.” 

  

“But you can’t bear watching hyung suffer doing something he doesn’t like, aren’t you?” 

  

Mr. Kim smiled “why do I feel you sound sour?” 

  

Taehyung’s brow raised upon hearing his father’s remark “I’m not after all that’s what I’d opted, architecture is the most beautiful thing I’d ever encountered.” 

  

“With the ability and influence we have in the industry, you know well that it’s not necessary to have a stronger connection with Seoul Investment Bank,” the old man eyed concernedly at his son who was forced to be mature faster than anyone has to be. “I never expect you to accept your eomma’s wedding arrangement without giving an attempt to against it.” 

  

“Perfectly fine with it,” he patted on the dorsum of his father’s hand. “Not that I’m seeing anyone.” 

  

“If that’s what you want, I won’t comment more. How’s SH Enterprise doing, I heard that your uncle has been giving them some hard time.”  

  

“None of your concern, I’m in control of it.” He didn’t want his father to be worried with works when all he has to do now is free from stress. 

  

“You know, I treasure this friend a lot. Uncle Bae may not be as influential or reputable as us, but back then when I was nothing and have none of these things, he was there for me,” Mr. Kim smiled gratefully upon recalling the strong friendship he shared with Mr. Bae 

  

Taehyung clasped hands tightened upon the mention of Mr. Bae, he wasn’t sure if he should tell his father about his buddy’s condition. 

  

“Make sure things don’t go overboard with Young Chul.” 

  

“No worries, I’ll ensure uncle don’t get to touch SH Enterprise anymore.” 

  

“Uncle Bae has a lovely daughter, I always wanted to tie a red string on either you or your brother,” punching on his palm, Mr. Kim eyed at Taehyung “you could have sound me earlier that you are fine with arranged marriage.” 

  

Taehyung gulped, “his daughter has a strong character, he wouldn’t accept such irrational arrangement.” 

  

“You don’t even know her well, who are you to say that?” 

  

Taehyung was about to say something but the beeping sound of his phone diverted his attention as he received a new email from his lawyer, the draft agreement was ready. 

  

  

“Joohyun-ah,” Mrs. Bae held on her hand delicately “I have found someone who could save us, save our business.” 

  

Joohyun looked at Mrs. Bae, her eyes were shimmering with hope “Really, that’s good. Who is that, one of appa’s business partner?”  

  

“But he has a condition and only you can fulfill this.” 

  

“Me?” she frowned, not understanding what she could offer to make this deal sealed.   

  

“Kim Taehyung’s condition, is you. He wants you.” 

  

Joohyun eyes widened when she heard the name. She instantly withdrew her hand from her mother and it began to trembled in fear.  

  

“Eomma, what are you talking about,” her voice was shaking “do you mean Uncle Kim is willing to help us.” 

  

“Honey, no,” Mrs. Bae grabbed hold on Joohyun’s tiny hands again “Mr. Kim is still away from office resting after his heart surgery. Now only his son, Kim Taehyung could save us and all he wants is you.” 

  

“Eomma, why would he want me there’s nothing that I can offer. Besides, he hated me we are not even friends did you misunderstand him?” 

  

“Every man is greedy and desirous, they just want to play till the very last minute before they tie themselves down with a marriage. Any woman would be fine for them.” 

  

“What do you mean by that?” 

  

“Joohyun-ie, just one-night eo…just give yourself to him one night and our problems will be resolved. You can do it right?” 

  

Joohyun pushed off her mother’s hand and stood up, raging “Eooma, are you telling me to sleep with him in order to get his help? How could you say that, how could you even accept such unbearab…”  

  

Before she could complete her words, a slap landed on her fair face. It was so hard that it made her fell on the couch. The tears in her eyes were threatening to fall, she wasn’t even sure was it because of the stinging pain on her face or her broken heart. 

  

“Joohyun-ah, why can’t you just be obedient when I’m telling you in such a good way?” Mrs. Bae asked before grabbing hold on Joohyun’s hair and pulled her up from the couch. “All these years what you have contributed to the family?” she tapped on her face continuously, “all you have done is wasting your time at your eemo’s hopeless orchestra.” 

  

Joohyun was sobbing while holding on Mrs. Bae’s wrist trying to stop her mother but it only made it worst as she continued to hit her, whichever part of her body that she could reach. 

  

“Do you even know how terrible the situation is now,” the older woman took hold of a cane and swung it on Joohyun’s back causing her squealed in pain. “You feel the pain now? That’s how I felt knowing your appa would rather die than watching his company fall.” 

  

“I’m sorry eomma, but I can’t do it, not Kim Taehyung,” Joohyun wept as she shook her head “I’ll try to speak to Uncle Kim, he would help us.” 

  

Another strike hit on her arm viciously, “if you could throw yourself to him in the past why not now, you are just a filthy !” she pulled the weak Joohyun up and another slap landed on her face again, “Do you know how much your eemo’s medical cost, if we are to announce bankruptcy, who is going to pay for it? You will kill your own…” 

  

“STOP!!!” Taeyeon cried out when she saw Mrs. Bae about to hit Joohyun again. She knew her mother in law was near to revealing something she would regret. “Eomma, it’s enough. You would kill Joohyun if you continue to hit her.” She held on the cane. 

  

“Make a prudent choice, Bae Joohyun. You have to do it.” Mrs. Bae threw the cane on the floor and left the living room. 

  

Helping her up, it was then that Taeyeon could see how red Joohyun’s face was, the younger woman was avoiding her stare. “What happened, why did she do this again?” 

  

Joohyun shook her head while wiping her tears with her thumb and index finger, “don’t let oppa know about this. Eomma was just too stress.” The tears never stopped flowing down her face. 

  

“Let me help you up, go take a shower and I’ll put ointment on your blister,” Taeyeon sighed. 

  

After taking her shower, Taeyeon made the stubborn young lady to get on the bed. Gently applying the ointment on her swelling face, Taeyeon could see a grimace formed on her face “what did you said that could provoked eomma to an extent to hit you this badly and it’s not the first.” 

  

Joohyun shook her head and a tear dropped on her clenched fist, Taeyeon knew she was trying to control herself not to cry. “What was she saying back there, do what?” 

  

“Unnie, don’t worry about me, I would take care of it,” she sniffled while rubbing on her nose. “Ahh…” she yelped when her sister in law purposely pressed on the blister on her arm. 

  

“If you could take care of it, you won’t be so ruined now,” Taeyeon frowned. “Joohyun-ah, you are a grown-up now, she can’t be still abusing you like those days when you’re still a high-schooler. Talk to your oppa, he needs to know.” 

  

Reaching out her arms to the lady before her who is just as small as she is, she pulled her into a hug, “Unnie-ah, let me deal with this. There’re too many things that oppa need to take care of for now, let’s not bother him with such trivial matter.” 

  

Taeyeon sighed heavily, “promise me, don’t just sit still and let her hit you,” she held on Joohyun’s shoulder “you need to fight back when it gets too nasty.” 

  

Joohyun nodded her head with a sweet smile, she didn’t want Taeyeon to be bothered with her problems.  

  

 “and you could still smile!” she pinched on her nose. 

  

  

At the crack of dawn after his visit to one of the new project show room, Jimin went back to the office knowing his childhood friend would be there. Ever since Taehyung joined YJ Group, he moved out from the Kim Mansion and stayed at his penthouse in Hannam The Hill. Due to his workaholic nature, he would work in the office from dawn till dusk. After stepping up to the position of Vice President of the group, Jimin has advised him to build a room which is similar to a studio apartment next to his office so that he could rest. 

  

“VP Kim…” 

  

“Come in, you have the password.” 

  

“Unbelievable, you are still sober,” Jimin remarked. 

  

“Amazing that you know how to knock for the first time,” Taehyung retorted. 

  

Jimin giggled, “very funny ha.” He took a seat opposite the dark-haired man, “I went to your house and I thought I would be welcomed by a whoredom sight, you know.” 

  

Taehyung rolled his eyes, agitated “Park Jimin, you’re invading my privacy. Stop coming to my house freely.” 

  

“Well you never complain those days and I presume you are fine with it. After all, I’m just ensuring that you’re not knock down by alcohol all alone at home.” he leaned on the couch. “But I’m surprised you are not with some random girl out there.” 

  

“I was at Yoon Hwa Orchestra and she almost barged into my room when I was asleep,” Taehyung stated, remembering how fast his heart beat when he saw her eyes through the small gap of the opened door. 

  

“Woah…you didn’t lock the door?” Jimin eyes widened. 

  

“Too tired hence the carelessness,” he rubbed his face, wearily. 

  

Jimin shook his head, “I don’t get it at all, one minute you would hate her so much but the next second it’s like you would be dead if she is out of your sight. I wonder how you would survive if she chooses Boston.” 

  

“Where are you going?” Taehyung was surprised to see his friend heading towards the exit. 

  

“Home to sleep, I just wanted to make sure you are okay that’s why I came.” Slipping his hands into his pants pocket, Jimin informed “the showroom is ready, all you need to do is be there to launch it on the 24th. Remember, I’m not around. Kibum hyung would assist you on that day.” 

  

“Wait, I just forwarded you an email. Check on it.” 

  

Swiping on his Iphone X, he checked on the new email in his mailbox. When he was reading the attached document, Taehyung could see the change of expression on his face. He knew his friend was angry. After Jimin finished reading, Taehyung was right as he was fuming with indescribable anger. 

  

His eyes darted straight at the seated relaxed man, “neon michyeosseo? Are you insane, what’s this ridiculous agreement about, what are you up to?” he bombarded him with countless questions. “Answer me!” 

  

Taehyung stood up from the couch, “her family needed my help, I’m the only person who could help them now.” 

  

Jimin seethed at his reply, he was infuriated by the inconceivable agreement he just read. “So, you’re telling me that you would threaten her to bow down to you just because her family need help?” brushing his fringe to the back, exasperated “Kim Taehyung, do you still remember you are getting married soon? What do you want to get out of this damned relationship that you are about to start?” 

  

“Her mother offered her to me.” 

  

“You can reject it!! Damn it!!” turning his head side to side, Jimin bit on his lower lip “Joohyun wouldn’t say yes.” 

  

“Family is her priority.” 

  

“Idiot, you are playing with fire. Could you even control yourself? She’s different with those random women which you paid to serve you. You are using them to ease the pain that caused by that nightmare which is haunting you for years.” 

  

“I’m paying her to serve me too. It’s about time for her to pay the price for what she did seven years ago,” Taehyung said as a matter of fact. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter