004

Mudang
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haera looked out the car window and sighed. She was sad that Tae couldn’t come along. It was silent in the car but she caught sight of Heesun looking at her through the right rear view mirror. Haera rolled her eyes and looked down at her phone. It was almost noon and she felt something poke her side. She turned to her side and saw that Jihyo was sleeping and leaned against Gun. Gun’s armor was poking her on the side and she tucked it back down in place. Gun smiled to thank her for helping him. Haera nodded and then turned back to look out the window. She only came on this trip because her dad wanted her to watch Jihyo perform the rain ritual. He thinks it might encourage her to be a mudang. Haera saw that they finally arrived in town and her legs couldn’t wait to move. It was so cramped with Gun sitting in the middle the whole three hours there. He didn’t have to be there physically because when a master calls their suhos name, they would materialize in front of them. Haera was a bit annoyed but it was better with Gun in the car because it made her feel a bit more comfortable. 

“We made it to the temple,” Byunhyun said.

“Honey, I heard they are very strict here with their rules. I wouldn’t want Haera to get in trouble.” Heesun said.

“It will be alright, you’ll be on your best behavior,” Byunhyun said.

Haera saw her dad looking at her through the mirror and she nodded her head.

“Yes dad, I’m always on my best behavior, unlike someone who is faking it,” Haera said.

Haera saw Heesun glare at her through the mirror and Haera smirked back.

“Stop doing that,” Byunhyun said.

“Yes, dad,” Haera said.

Once the car pulled up to the temple and they parked outside. Haera immediately got out and stretched her legs. A few people came out from the temple to greet them but Haera turned to face the mountains. She felt a split second of an unknown energy source coming from deep in the forest and turned to look at Jihyo, who was also looking in the same direction along with Gun. Haera turned back to the people who gathered around their car. Haera felt like something was out there and it seemed like it was pretty strong if it was able to hide its energy source. 

“Welcome, we have been waiting for your arrival. I am Dongho, the lead priest here.” Dongho said.

“We are honored to be able to perform the rain ritual for this year,” Byunghyun said.

“Please come inside and rest. You all must be tired coming far from home.” Dongho said.

Jihyo turned to Gun and he bent down to her height. She whispered into his ear and he nodded.

“Keep an eye out for him, he seems suspicious,” Jihyo said.

Byunghyun held onto Heesun's hand and they followed after Dongho into the temple. Servants were coming to take in their luggage, Haera quickly grabbed her backpack and swung it on her back. A servant came and lead them into the temple. Haera saw Jihyo and Gun examining the inside of the temple as they walked out the other side into the living quarters. Haera followed along after Jihyo and Gun through the doors. She stopped when they reached a hallway connecting to the hall they were in, something in her gut was telling her danger. A servant came to her side and Haera looked at her. 

“What’s down this hall?” Haera asked.

“There are more rooms and at the end of the hall there are stairs that lead down to the basement.” She said.

“What’s in the basement?” Haera asked.

“We use it as storage, the only one who's been down there is the lead priest and two of his apprentices.” She said.

“That’s weird,” Haera said.

“How?” She asked.

Haera turned to look at the window in the hall and then back to the girl. She pointed at the window and the servant looked over to the window then back at Haera weirdly.

“Oh, the window. I’ve never seen it like that before.” Haera lied.

“Oh, I guess. It does look a bit weird.” She said.

Haera turned in the direction Jihyo and Gun went but they were long gone. She turned to the servant and scratched her head.

“I’m lost, where did your lead priest say we were staying again?” Haera asked.

“Oh, don’t worry. I will lead you there.” She said.

Haera dropped her bag and her things came out. She bent down to pick them up and the servant also helped her collect her things. Haera slipped a yellow piece of paper with red writings into the wall and picked up the rest of her things.

“Sorry about that,” Haera said.

“It’s alright, now let’s get you to your room.” She said.

Haera walked behind her and closed her eyes chanting a spell and she turned around to check. There was an invisible force field she set up where the hallways crossed. She hoped that whatever was down there would set it off.

Haera watched as Jihyo bowed three times and then closed her eyes. Jihyo twirled in circles while one hand held a string with multiple bells that jingled. The other hand held a rod with many long white strips of cloths tied at the end. She wore a red, blue hanbok and her hair was pinned up in a low bun with a golden hairpin horizontally placed. There were drums, flute, and gongs being played. After a few turns and dancing, Jihyo finally entered into a different dimension. Haera eyes caught sight of Gun, who was sitting in the tree. His eyes scanning the people and making sure there was no danger that would affect Jihyo as she was now in the other world performing her duties. Haera’s eye landed on Heesun who was glaring daggers at her. Haera took a step away from the crowd and left to the forest. Haera walked around the edge of the lake and took a seat on the edge of the dock. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter