One For the Radio

I Wanna Hold You
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Are you ready?" JaeBeom asked while staring at the mirror in front of him. His eyes wandered to each and every single member of their band. It almost seemed as if his eyes were searching for something that he just wasn’t able to find.

JinYoung eyed the elder’s reflection in the mirror close to him to avoid directly staring at the other. With a shaking hand, he took hold of a water bottle in front of him, but before he opened the lid and put the plastic to his lips to take a sip he put it down on the table again. In addition to that, he looked pale.

The other members of the band didn't look that well either. All of them were nervously distracting themself with something. DoWoon was playing some kind of game on his phone which currently received his full attention. However, when JinYoung took a closer look at his fingers and their movements, he noticed that they were shaking as well.

Jae and Brian, who spent their time waiting by talking to each other, looked rather nervous as well. The subject they were talking about was not fully capturing their attention, as both of them constantly glanced toward the door that led outside of the small room they were waiting in.

Only SungJin calmly sat on the sofa on the far left corner of the room while joyfully sipping coffee from his colourful mug. He didn't look nervous, but only a fool would believe that the tension and the excitement for the upcoming event wasn't getting to him.

"So - is this your first big gig?" JinYoung suddenly asked, which instantly made his new band members fall silent.

SungJin looked up at him then nodded slightly. The other members inaudibly agreed before JaeBeom decided to say something: "It isn't that we haven't played in front of an audience before. We’ve played here quite a lot of times actually... but it was never this big. I mean, the band we're opening for is very well known here in Switzerland..."

"True!" Brian agreed, "I think there’s never been this much pressure on us before. We're this club’s house band if you want to look at it that way. It's a whole different level from what we’re used to."

JinYoung nodded in agreement. He was completely familiar with what the members of Day6 were feeling. Not so long ago he'd been in a similar situation. He, of all people, knew how scary it could be to step in front of a crowd to perform. Even the memory of his debut was terrifying. All the mistakes and the insecurities back then - were horrible. It sometimes still was. Hell, he felt nervous and insecure even to this day when it was time to go on stage with the other members of GOT6 to perform their newest single. Yes, their debut was successful. And while he and his band were able to perform multiple times since then, it still didn’t decrease fear that some kind of mistake could happen which would make front page headlines on every online gossip site out there.

"It’ll be alright," JinYoung said, hoping to encourage his friends. "We trained long and hard. We're ready. We can only give our best and hope that the effort will pay off"

All five of them nodded silently. None of them were looking at any of the other members. It was true. In the past few days they did nothing but practice their songs for this gig. Of course the others still had to work during the night when the club was open. It wasn't easy but somehow they were able to manage. Yes, they were tired, but it was a good kind of tired. One that is always accomplished with pride and the feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

A sudden knock on the door made all their heads spin around in anticipation. A few seconds later the door handle was pushed down and WonPil appeared in the door frame. The young man was giving them his widest smile. His whole left arm was still in a cast and he was forced to wear a sling to hold his arm in the perfect angle for his bones to heal properly. JinYoung assumed that the younger's injury must still hurt from time to time, although there was no evidence of that when WonPil entered the room.

"Guys! You won’t believe how many people are already waiting outside! The show doesn't start before 8PM. That’s three hours ‘til the concert. Can you believe that there are people already queuing outside! Isn't this exciting!" WonPil said while jumping from one foot to the other. The younger looked like an over excited puppy which was making JinYoung smile softly.

The jumping clearly aggravated his injury, and Wompil’s face soon revealed the pain it caused. He didn’t stop jumping though, as he was too overjoyed by the news he had just brought his band mates.

SungJin instantly stood up and guided the younger towards the sofa to keep him from moving around too much. With little force he made him sit down and then sat next to him. Pouting, Wonpil looked up at the eldest of the group. Soon, however, the usual bright smile returned to his face.

"So, I heard that we're sold out today. Melanie sold the last couple of tickets yesterday. I guess we're playing in front of a full house. Am I the only one who feels scared because of this?" Jae asked and looked into the faces of his fellow band members. Some nodded slightly in agreement, while the rest of them stayed silent.

WonPil, however, violently shook his head in disagreement, commenting, "What! Why? This is the chance of our lives. I heard that the SRF 3 radio station (A/N SRF is the official public Swiss Radio and TV station) will be coming here. I don't think they'll air the concert, but they might record snippets of it to broadcast later on in a report. There’s a chance that we'll be on the radio!"

Brian's face visibly turned green after hearing WonPil say that. Instantly, he turned towards the mirror and took a hold on his own water bottle. Jae right next to him didn't look any better. However, instead of dwelling in his own insecurities and fears about the upcoming gig, he started to rub small circles on Brian's back in hope that the small motion would make the bassist feel better. It didn't.

JinYoung watched the two men for a while before he shifted his attention back to JaeBeom. The elder hadn't really said anything for a while now. Lost in his thoughts, JaeBeom stared into the mirror while mumbling inaudible words and pulling on the now torn label of his water bottle. He looked even more nervous than just a few minutes before.

The young idol quickly looked around. None of his friends were paying attention to him or JaeBeom. All of them were now either self reflecting or engaged in a nervous conversation with someone else.

In a smooth motion, Jinyoung stood up from his chair and got onto his knees right next to JaeBeom. At first the elder didn't even notice the idol right next to him. It was only when JinYoung reached out to the other and softly touched his right upper arm that the elder finally took notice of him. Startled by the sudden touch, JaeBeom turned around and locked eyes with JinYoung. The elder’s eyes were filled with doubt and fear. JinYoung smiled in an encouraging way and began to carefully rub JaeBeom's upper arm. The young idol expected the latter to pull away from him, but he didn’t. On the contrary, JaeBeom lifted his own hand and laid it on JinYoung's, as if he wanted to thank him.

JinYoung's heart began to flutter rapidly because of this simple touch. It was true that he and JaeBeom were getting along better and better with every passing day. It was a very welcome change, as the young idol started to enjoy the company of the elder more and more. He constantly looked forward to their shared time together and was more than happy with every set of words they were able to exchange. However, recently JinYoung began to notice that the friendly feelings he had toward the other developed into something different. It was hard to explain, but somehow he longed to be with JaeBeom, to spend more time with him, talk with him, and be close to him. Those feelings felt foreign and completely new to him. He’d never experienced feeling like this before. It was worrying and beautiful at the same time.

JaeBeom, on the other hand, seemed to enjoy the presence of the young idol more and more as well. Or, at least he didn't act as if he despised JinYoung anymore. Quite the contrary. One could maybe even say that they were acting like friends.

The elder truly turned out to be a huge cuddly teddy bear once the younger has gotten on his good side. JinYoung was truly grateful to be able to experience the elder acting warm and friendly towards him. It might have helped that JaeBeom’s little sister had taken a big liking of the idol as well. However, there was no way the elder had the same feelings JinYoung had. After all, JaeBeom was in a long term relationship with another guy, a guy that constantly had been around them for the past few days. It was weird. Even the members of Day6 thought so, as none of them have ever experienced JaeBeom's boyfriend being this interested in their band activities before.

"Are you okay?" JinYoung asked, which made JaeBeom nod quickly in response.

"Just a bit nervous. That's all," the elder replied with a forced smile on his face.

"That's normal," JinYoung stated while hesitantly looking back and forth between their hands and JaeBeom's face. The young idol felt his cheeks heat up slightly, and he hoped that the blush that obviously was starting to show itself on his face wasn’t too noticeable.

"I mean, performing such a big gig for the first time can be nerve wracking. I remember when I had my first big gig with my ba-." The idol instantly stopped talking. Dread filled him, as he realised that he almost had slipped up and told the other that he wasn’t a simple nobody from Korea but in fact a famous singer.

"Wait! Were you in a band before? Why didn't you tell me that?" JaeBeom asked while looking at JinYoung with curiosity shining in his eyes.

Well- s**t!

"It wasn't that big of a deal," JinYoung lied and hoped the elder would drop the subject after hearing that… which unfortunately wasn’t the case.

JaeBeom thoughtfully nodded his head and then locked eyes with his new friend. JinYoung's stomach began to flutter and he knew that his cheeks must be glowing a bright red by now. To hide these very obvious signs, he quickly turned his head in the other direction… to face a wall.

"Were you playing keyboard in that band, too?" JaeBeom asked with genuine curiosity in his voice. JinYoung began to stutter, as he was unsure what he should be saying to give the elder a somewhat truthful, but satisfactory, answer.

"All of us played instruments," he began to tell with clear hesitation in his voice.

"I can only play the keyboard. My friend BamBam is a very good flute player so-"

"Ah! So it was a sc

Please log in to read the full chapter