Shine a Light

I Wanna Hold You
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Light up~
Light up~
The world is ours~*," Jae gleefully sang along with the radio and happily seesawed from left to right while driving on a lonely road that led them uphill to a village in the mountains.

The young driver surely did enjoy himself while driving. His friends, however, didn't seem that pleased. Their displeasure didn't have anything to do with the song that was currently playing on the radio or the way their friend was singing. No. What bothered them was the way he was driving. Under normal circumstances, the young bassist was an okay driver. However, once any distraction comes into play... that fact changes dramatically. Music was such a distraction as Jae always sang along and started losing himself to the melody and the lyrics. If DoWoo wouldn't sometimes remind the bassist to focus on the traffic and the street in front of them, who knows how many accidents they would have had at this point.


To be honest, DoWoon, JinYoung and JaeBeom would have rather taken a ride in the other car with the other members. As they couldn’t possibly fit in only one car they decided to split up into two travel groups. The second car, with the rest of the members, would follow them sometime in the afternoon. Unfortunately, neither DoWoon, JaeBeom nor JinYoung were fast enough to get a place in the second car and, therefore, had no other choice than to take a ride with Jae. Not even JaeBeom's reasoning that he had to make sure everything was a-okay with his sister, the flat and the club helped him get out of this car situation or the trip in general.

DoWoon suddenly leaned forward and switched the channel to a station that is known to only play classical music. Instantly, Jae got pulled out of his newest trance and started to complain about the unwanted change of music. The bassist took one hand off the steering wheel and tried to press a button on the brightly lit radio to change the channel back to its original station, however, once his hand lightly touched the smooth plastic DoWoon slapped Jae’s hand to stop him from pushing it down.

"Hey!" Jae yelled and glared angrily at DoWoon.

The youngest in the car, however, didn't care at all. Quickly, he pointed towards the street and said with a firm voice: "Focus, hyung! There are a few tight curves ahead of us."

"I AM focused! So… can we please put the other station back on?" Jae asked and pushed the button he had wanted to push before. However, once the station switched back to the previous channel, DoWoon pushed another button and made the notes of one of Beethoven's symphonies fill the interior of the small space they were sitting in. That tussle continued for a few more minutes as none of the two musicians seemed to be getting tired of playing this ‘game’. In frustration Jae yelled DoWoon’s name once they reached the middle point of the hill. Some would interpret this as a sign of defeat, but those people didn't know the bassist at all. Quickly, he tried to trick the other by pointing at something. A trap the younger did not fall for. With a mischievous smile on his face he guarded the radio to prevent the elder from pressing any other buttons.

"Guys! Help!" Jae pleaded and quickly glanced at the two men sitting in the back of the car.

JinYoung, who had followed the interaction with much interest, was quite entertained by the two members of Day6. However, he had to admit that not having to frantically grip the handle above the door and constantly fearing that they would somehow get off the road during one of Jae's passionate sing-alongs was more than a good thing. Well, he probably won't stop gripping that handle until they safely arrive anyway given the two in the front seats continuing to fight like they were. One glance out of the window right now was enough to make him feel queasy. Since they started going uphill the street became more and more dangerous in his opinion as the plateau they were driving on began to become narrower and narrower the further up they went. Only a few centimetres were between the street and the cliff at that moment which made JinYoung’s stomach clench in fear. If the car would only slightly move off track they would fall to their certain death. There weren't even crash barriers that would somehow hold their car back from falling down. So... yeah... having a focused driver was definitely a good thing.

"I... I think I prefer the calmer music right now," JinYoung finally said in a weak tone of voice.

"You okay? You look a bit pale," Jae said with concern in his voice while quickly looking at the idol through the rear view mirror.

JinYoung nodded and put on a smile to assure the younger that everything is okay. Jae quickly nodded and then focused on the street in front of him. DoWoon quickly turned around to the idol and handed him a bottle of water. The younger smiled as if to tell him that JinYoung would be feeling better after drinking one or two gulps. JinYoung seriously doubted that, but it wouldn’t hurt to try.

With shaky fingers JinYoung twisted the bottle open and began to drink. While the bottle was on his lips he glanced at JaeBeom next to him. The older had been silent during their whole car ride so far. Yes, in the beginning he had complained and protested, but after a while he had just stopped talking and simply stared out of his window.

When JinYoung took a look at the elder now he didn't see the rebellious energy he had displayed earlier that morning. JaeBeom looked sad and in a way... small. It was a sight JinYoung had rarely seen in the past week. Since they walked in on Chrigu cheating on JaeBeom, the elder hadn't been the same.

At first JaeBeom had been in shock. The elder hadn't even been able to lift a single finger or utter the smallest of words on the night he found out that his boyfriend was cheating on him. They had spent the rest of the night sitting on JinYoung's couch in silence until sleep finally took a hold of them. The big change, however, came in the morning after. Once the sun went up JaeBeom got up as well. He did not speak for a while during their breakfast, but then his expression became firm and his eyes showed a strong determination. From that moment on the elder had been working harder and also longer than before. It was as if he tried to forget about what had happened by constantly being on the move. That decision, however, had also affected the band. They were working harder than before as well, but when they noticed that JaeBeom wasn't going to slow down anytime soon, they decided that a short break from everything was desperately needed. They didn’t care if JaeBeom wanted a break or not. They simply knew that he needed it as much as they did.

The elder suddenly turned towards JinYoung. His brows were raised. It was at that moment when the idol noticed that he had been staring at the other for quite a long time and quickly turned his head the other way to have a look at the majestic view from his window. His stomach tightened when he once again realised how unsafe this whole road looked to him. He swallowed hard.

A sudden touch made him spin around. It was JaeBeom, who had reached out for him. The hand of the elder was still hovering in the air as if he wasn't sure if he should touch JinYoung again or if he should pull his hand back. Once the elder noticed JinYoung's eyes on him, a slight red colour tinted his cheeks and he averted his gaze. After a while, however, he looked up again and mumbled something under his breath that JinYoung didn't understand.

"What?" JinYoung asked and blinked a few times in confusion.

JaeBeom gulped and took a deep breath to talk again. No word left his lips as he must have decided to simply point at the water bottle, which JinYoung still was gripping hard as if his life depended on it. When the realisation set in what the other might have wanted from him, he quickly passed JaeBeom the bottle. The elder looked at it and twisted the lid open, but he never raised it towards his lips to drink. Instead he just twisted the lid close again and put the bottle back down. Confused, JinYoung studied the elder. He got the feeling as if JaeBeom had meant to say something different but then decided to not repeat it for him when he had asked. It was a pity he had not understood it.

After that small interaction, JaeBeom turned towards his window to stare back outside. JinYoung wondered if he should say something but didn't know what. That was also when he realised that the car was unusually quiet. Hastily, he looked at his friends in the
Please log in to read the full chapter