Easy Way Out

I Wanna Hold You
Please log in to read the full chapter

Happy chatter filled the huge room. A couple of children played chase with each other and laughed with joy while doing so. Swiftly they avoided all the other people around them to lay their hands on their friends and yell, "you're it!" which led to another round of catch as none of the younger ones wanted to lose.

People in general were constantly on the move. Either they wanted to get further down the aisle to get to another gate or they set their eyes on a warm and wonderful coffee from a coffee shop in the middle of terminal two. The heavenly smell of fresh brewed coffee surrounded the place. That alone set people in a slightly better mood than before as the steaming golden brown was a life saviour at almost seven in the morning.

Not everyone was set to be happy in this situation, though. A couple of people were sitting in the waiting area in utter and complete silence. None of them were connected to the others as they all sat far apart from each other. However, they had one thing in common. They were all silent and focused on either their music, a video game or a good book which they just started reading when they got to the airport.

One of those people, however, was doing none of those things. The man had chosen a seat as far away from the other passengers as possible. He was dressed in a simple dark tracksuit. The tracksuit looked nice but all in all no one would give him a second look because of it. A black baseball hat sat on his head and was pulled down deeply into his face which almost hid his dark brown eyes. He glanced around nervously and kept an eye on the people around him. He pulled on his clothes and checked if his plain white face mask was still in place almost constantly. He held a warm cup of coffee in his hands. He had bought the drink out of habit and a deep longing for coffee in the morning. However, he hasn't been able to drink a sip of it as he was afraid to take off his mask. The delicious smell was taunting him and he really longed to finally drink that heavenly brew. With a heavy sigh he put the cup on the armrest to his right and stared at it longingly.

This man had been sitting in this area since shortly after the gate had been announced. He had seen the area around him fill up with a bunch of strangers. Way too many strangers for his liking. He quickly glanced out of the window to look at the huge airplane from Korean Air which he was going to set foot in in just a few minutes. He swallowed. Not for the first time this morning he was wondering if he shouldn't just pack up his things and go back where he came from. It sure would make his life less complicated in the future.

However, the thought of going back pained him. He wasn't happy anymore. In fact, he hadn't been happy for quite a while now. He knew that running away from his problems wasn't the answer. Yes, it wasn't but it would give him some time to think. Time to reorganize his priorities and make up his mind on what he really wanted in life. Still...abandoning his friends and colleagues in a time like this made him feel bad.

His gaze wandered to a big TV screen which was set up on the other side of the gate. News was constantly flashing on it's screen. Just a few minutes ago there was a report on something political. Now, however, bright colours filled the huge screen and a stage the man knew all to well appeared on it. Idols were dancing while a headline was rushing from right to left to announce breaking celebrity news. The idols on screen he knew all too well. He knew all of them since they made their debut two years ago. They were close friends of his and also his colleagues.

The news itself

Please log in to read the full chapter