What Goes Up Sometimes Gets Stuck

Imagine Your OTP - Wheesa Edition

Out of all the days the world could've picked,  why did it have to be the one that literally determined her future? It all started with the loud blaring of her wretched alarm clock that ended with her smacking it off of her bedside table and onto the floor where it laid,  now unresponsive. That has been her first mistake. It wasn't until she heard her phone ring for what must've been the 15th time that she opened her eyes and felt around for the device. When she picked it up and answered the call,  she froze as the familiar voice of a secretary began to babble in her ear. 

"Is this Jung Wheein? I'm calling to remind you of your 8:30 appointment with the interviewing for the paid internship?"

Wheein felt her tongue become heavy in as she tried to formulate a response. 

"Ms. Jung,  are you there?"

Wheein pulled her phone away from her ear to check the time and she sighed a sigh of relief to see it was only 7. 

"I apologize. Yes,  I will still be attending the interview. Thank you for the call."

Wheein bid the lady goodbye before she peered over the side of her bed,  wincing at the sight of the remains of her alarm clock. She would have to buy a new one later. She threw off her covers and quickly padded over to her closet,  throwing the doors open before she dug in. She emerged a few minutes later with a sensible pair of heels,  a white blouse,  and a pair of black slacks. Once she was changed,  she moved over to her bathroom to begin the process of putting makeup on. She went for a natural but mature look,  making sure to keep herself looking professional. Now all that was left was her hairstyle. Unfortunately,  her carmel brown locks looked like a rat had made a nest in it. Wheein winced as she struggled to brush it but soon it lay in beautiful curls. It seemed that everything was going wonderfully and when she checked the time,  she saw that it was 7:30. Luckily for her, when she was looking for a job,  she found a perfect one only a block or two away so she didn't have to worry about being late. She grabbed a black blazer and her purse before she headed to her door giving her cat a small pat on the back as she passed his little fuzzy body. 

"Bye Ggomo! Wish your mom luck!"

Ggomo paid no attention and sauntered right into Wheein's room. Wheein raced to the parking lot and got in her car,  turning on the radio as she went. She still had about forty minutes left so she decided to stop by a coffee shop that was just a block away from her work. It would cut the distance she would have to go and she could get her morning energy. Once she was standing inside the shop,  she waved to one of the barista's who happened to be one of her friends. The line moved quickly much to her delight and do she was in front. 

"Wow Jung. You sure look sharp."

The girl in front who was taking her order was named Moonbyul but Wheein called her Byul for short. They had become friends since Wheein frequented the cafe so often. 

"I have an interview today."

"Really? Wah, good luck. Now what would you like?"

Wheein recited her order and Moonbyul nodded before leaving to make it. Wheein walked over to the receive line and checked her phone. She was still good. But when she grabbed her coffee and turned around,  she ran smack right into someone else causing the coffee to spill all over her crisp and clean white shirt. It took a moment for her to register the scalding temperature of the liquid to which she responded with a shrill cry drawing the attention of nearby customers. 

"Oh I am so sorry!"

Wheein didn't register the apology as she hurriedly attempted to get off the coffee but she knew it was too late. Her shirt was now stained. Moonbyul rushed over,  her eyes going wide at the sight of the now disproved younger girl whose eyes were watering slightly. 

"Oh Wheein. Come with me. I have an extra work shirt you could use."

Wheein followed Moonbyul to the back earning sympathetic looks from the other barista's as she passed. She quickly changed and gave Moonbyul many thanks and a promise of pizza later to which Moonbyul gladly accepted. Wheein checked her clock to see she now only had twenty minutes to get to her meeting. 

"No, no, no. I will NOT be late for this."

Wheein raced to the door and flew out of it with great speed determined to not let this little accident get to her. While she sped walked down the street,  it was then that another unfortunate event happened. As she approached the street that was opposite her work building her heel hit a grate of some sort she twisted her ankle. 

"AH!" She let out a short cry as she tried to wrench herself free as to which she succeeded but now she had a limp,  her ankle thrumming with the pain she had received. 

Wheein wanted to cry,  to scream but she was so close she wouldn't let herself do any of those things. Instead she hobbled her way to the building and finally pushed through the spinning glass doors into the air conditioned lobby. It was certainly glamorous in its display,  white couches and silver accents contributing to the sleek but eccentric design the lobby showcased. She was in awe but she quickly reminded herself that she wasn't finished yet. With renewed vigor,  she limped to the elevator and pressed the button waiting for it to come down to the ground floor. Once the doors dinged and opened she stepped inside. Her fingers tightening her grip on her bag. The doors began to close but a voice calling out made Wheein quickly grab the doors making them retreat back into the walls. 

"Thank you very much."

Wheein's breath caught in as the newer occupant made her way into the space,  the doors of the elevator closing behind her. Wheein took in the woman's appearance. She had long raven black hair that was pulled back into a sleek pony tail. She wore a yellow suit that hugged her body and a black undershirt peeked through the ed blazer she wore. 

"Floor do you need?"

Wheein looked up and met a pair of glimmering chocolate brown eyes and she couldn't find her words to respond. The woman smirked,  a perfectly sculpted brow lifting in amusement as she waved her hand in front of Wheein finally snapping her out of the trance she had seemed to of fallen into. 

"I'm sorry. What did you say?" Wheein asked hoping she didn't sound as flustered as she thought she did. 

The woman let out a low chuckle,  a sound Wheein could listen to on repeat. 

"I asked which floor you needed."

"Ah. I'm floor 8."

The woman nodded and pushed the button and then the elevator began to move. Wheein nervously tapped her foot casting a quick glance at her watch which now read 8:15. She was going to ma-

"Are you alright?"

Wheein's head snapped to the side to meet the woman's concerned gaze. 

"Y-yes, I'm alright."

The woman's lips pursed together but she didn't push the conversation. A moment of silence passed and Wheein couldn't stand it. She wasn't a talkitive person,  but the silence was far more uncomfortable. 

"Actually,  my morning has been pretty horrible." Wheein finally said. 

The woman frowned. 

"Why?"

Wheein sighed as she the strap of her bag. 

"I have a really import-"

Suddenly a loud screeching sound echoed through the shaft of the elevator making it shale slightly. Wheein let out a yelp and quickly grabbed hold of the woman's arm. The woman would've laughed at the action but she was too busy cursing under her breath. 

"Are we stuck?" Wheein asked,  her voice small and heavy with fear. 

The woman stepped forward and pressed the red button that was for emergency purposes,  but no response came. 

"Dammit." 

Wheein watched as the woman banged on the steel doors in an attempt to make some noise,  but they were stuck in between floors. The woman turned to Wheein,  her face a mask of calmness. 

"Do you have your phone?"

Wheein nodded and quickly rifled through her bag before she pulled it out and handed it over. The woman typed in a number and lifted it to her ear. While Wheein waited,  she sat down a king sure to use her coat to cover the dusty floor. She didn't even want to look at her watch. She already knew her chance at her dream job had long since left. Before she knew it she felt the warm prickle of tears and soon they fell down her cheeks. The woman let out a hiss of frustration after she got another no service message. She turned to give the phone back to Wheein when she saw her crying. The woman came over and sat down next to the brown haired girl giving her a reassuring rub on the arm to which Wheein responded by turning and crying into the woman's shoulder. 

"It's alright. I'm sure they'll get us out of here soon. Many people use the elevator so someone is bound to notice something is wrong."

Wheein wanted to feel assured by the woman's statement but she could feel the stress of the morning crash down onto her all at once. 

"Is this about what you were going to say earlier?" The woman asked in a hushed tone. 

Wheein nodded probably smearing more of her tears into the woman's suit. 

"Want to talk about it?"

"Really?"

The woman grinned. 

"Well I can't exactly go anywhere now can I?"

Wheein giggled at that,  her dimple making a brief appearance. She turned her head so she was looking at their reflection in the doors but she still could rest her head. 

"Today was going to be amazing. I was going to finally get the chance to take a step in the direction of my dream but nothing has been going good today. This shirt? It's my friend's because I spilled boiling hot coffee all over the one I had on. Not only that,  I also rolled my ankle on the way here which only delayed me even further!" Wheein rushed out motioning to her ankle which was slightly purple. 

The woman winced. She could definitely see that she was having a hard time. 

"I'm sorry. That sounds horrible."

Wheein sighed softly. 

"Well,  there's nothing I could've done about it. I guess the world didn't want me to interview after all."

The woman stiffened before she looked at Wheeinie shock. 

"You're here for the interview?!"

Wheein looked up surprised to see the woman was looking at her with wide eyes. 

"Yeah. Are you here for it as well?"

The woman felt her cheeks burn slightly as she shook her head. 

"No,  not exactly."

Wheein was about to ask more questions when the buzz of the red button speaker began. 

"Hello? Are you alright in there?"

The woman quickly stood before going to the speaker. She pressed the button co firming the signal before she talked. 

"Yes. This is Ms. Ahn. I'm in here with another person."

Wheein froze at that. How had she bot put two and two together? The aura of this woman was powerful but she also had an air of success around her. Not only that,  she wore an expensive suit,  oh god her suit! Wheein winced as she realized that she had probably ruined the yellow blazer. This was Ms. Ahn,  Ahn Hyejin,  the CEO of the company! Wheein looked up as Hyejin turned and gave her a small smile. 

"Ah,  I guess you know who I am now... "

Wheein felt ashamed. She had just let everything off her chest and had even complained to her maybe boss! 

"Why didn't you tell me you were the CEO?" Wheein asked,  a hint of anger creeping into her voice. 

Hyejin eyes widened before narrowing in irritation. 

"Well,  we didn't really have a chance to introduce ourselves,  now did we?"

Wheein wanted to shoot back a smart comment but she realized Hyejin was right. Wheein slumped against the wall defeated. Hyejin sighed and came  to sit down next to Wheein again. 

"Look,  I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself. I didn't think I would be meeting any of the interviewers on the way up this morning."

Wheein shook her head. 

"No. It's not your fault."

There was an awkward air of silence between the two as they waited for help to come. 

"I'm sorry about your suit." Wheein finally muttered. 

Hyejin looked down at the ruined fabric before chuckling. Wheein watched in confusion as Hyejin started laughing loudly. 

"What? Did I say something wrong?"

Hyejin shook her head wiping at the tears that started to well up from her laughing to hard. She finally caught her breath and turned to Wheein. 

"No,  it's not that. It's just that here I am with a woman who ruined my suit,  is late for an interview, talked to me in a manner that was very unusual,  and yet I can't get over the fact that I think you are undeniably beautiful and different from everyone that I've ever met."

Wheein's eyes widened. 

"W-What?" 

Hyejin took Wheein's hand in her own and gave her a smirk that sent a wave of butterflies into a flurry in her belly. 

"I said you are undeniably beautiful and different." 

"Well,  yeah but I meant why tell me this?" Wheein asked. 

Hyejin blinked for a moment as she bit her lip in thought. 

"Because I want you to know. I don't want to interview any of those people who are waiting to be interviewed just so they can boast about working for a rich CEO. You persevered to get here through thick and thin without letting anything hold you back. That's admirable and something I am looking for. You recall what the position is for,  yes?"

Wheein gulped and nodded. 

"Your personal assistant."

Hyejin nodded. 

"That right. I want you to be my PA Wheein."

"But how do you know my name?" Wheein asked. 

Hyejin pointed to Wheein's phone. 

"Your name was on the screen."

"But can you just make me your PA?"

"I am the CEO so what I say goes. Also,  I don't want anyone else to have you. "

Wheein blushed again as she realized how close their faces were. Hyejin eyes were warm and Wheein could feel the beating of her heart against her chest. But before anything could happen,   the sound of the doors being pushed open made them jump apart. 

"Come on ladies. We are here to get you out."

Moments later they were out and Wheein waited patiently for Hyejin to finish up with the firemen. Hyejin made her way over to Wheein once she was done. 

"How's your ankle?"

"It's good. They gave me a brace and I just have to ice it when I get home. "

Hyejin nodded and paused looking like she wanted to say something more but instead she motioned for Wheein to follow her outside. Once they passed through the doors,  Wheein's eyes widened when they fell upon a sleek black car,  it's surface gleaming in the sun. 

"I've arranged for my driver to take you home."

Wheein whipped around in disbelief. 

"Hy-Ms. Ahn,  you don't have to."

Hyejin scoffed waving her hand off into the air. 

"Like I would let you make your ankle worse. Since you have to rest,  I expect to see you in two days time. You start at 8:30 in the morning."

Wheein grinned as she slipped into the car. The driver closed it behind her,  but Hyejin tapped on the glass as to which Wheein rolled down the window to hear what she had to say. 

"I meant what I said in the elevator. You are beautiful Wheein."

Hyejin them stepped back and watches as the car started to drive away. Wheein watched as Hyejin faded into the distance before she fell back against the leather seat,  a smile on her face. Sometimes the universe worked in mysterious ways and even though it could be horrible,  she wouldn't have traded today for anything else.