Underneath The Willow Tree

Imagine Your OTP - Wheesa Edition

Hyejin frowned as she tapped her pencil to an imaginary rhythm in her head. The teacher had been on a long and monotonous drawl about some useless teaching method for the past hour and it was driving her crazy. Lunch, however, was fast approaching and Hyejin couldn't wait for the hour to be over so she could see her best friend. By the time the teacher finished, half of the students were asleep or were pretending to write down notes only to be revived by the sound of the lunch bell ringing throughout the school. The sound of chairs screeching against the floors echoed through the room as students left to get food or meet with their friends. Hyejin quickly got up and took her lunch before dashing out of the classroom. Being at an all girl's school was difficult at times being the fact that most of the girls here were judgemental snobs who hated you if you so much as looked at them wrong, but one person made it a better place for Hyejin and that was her hometown best friend, Jung Wheein. Hyejin had been enrolled in this school after the divorce of her parents due to the fact that her father couldn't afford to buy a bigger place than a one-room apartment so Hyejin had spent her days at a boarding school. Hyejin had been absolutely delighted when she had run into Wheein on the first day and the two never really separated since then. Hyejin finally reached the courtyard of the school and made her way to the what she considered to be their special tree. It was a large willow tree that rested near the back of the school on a little hill. Rumors surrounded the tree that it was a spot of confession, but Hyejin didn't think that important. Hyejin felt herself smile as she spied Wheein's familiar honey brown locks glinting in the sunlight that made its way through the leaves of the tree. Hyejin walked over and slowly came to a stop in front of Wheein's outstretched feet. Wheein had her nose in a book, as usual, but she made a small sound of acknowledgment as Hyejin sat down beside her.

"How are you?" Hyejin asked as she made herself comfortable while still trying to keep her skirt clean.

"Good." Wheein replied, not looking away from her book.

Hyejin smiled to herself as she studied Wheein's features. Wheein made a variety of faces since she spoke pretty animatedly, but one of Hyejin's favorites was when Wheein read a book. Wheein would express every thought on her face and Hyejin liked to interpret what Wheein was thinking.

"Are you going to stare at me like that again?" Wheein asked as she turned the page.

Hyejin blushed a little at the fact that she had been caught, even though she hadn't been very secretive about it anyways, before stuttering an answer.

"I-i'm not staring." 

Wheein let out a sigh as she closed her book. Hyejin peeked over to see Wheein's brown eyes staring right at her.

"Really?"

Hyejin let out a sigh of defeat as she held up her hands.

"Alright. I was staring at you." Hyejin muttered as she opened her lunch.

Wheein giggled as she leaned on Hyejin's shoulder.

"It's okay if you stare at me. I kind of like it."

Hyejin felt her heart flutter at Wheein's words, but she brushed it off. Hyejin knew that Wheein was just playing around.

"So, what do you have today?" Wheein asked.

Hyejin cleared before making a grand gesture to reveal cute little panda rice balls and sliced hot dog octopuses.

"I present to you, the amazingly cute simply made meal!" Hyejin exclaimed.

Wheein cooed as she leaned closer to examine Hyejin's dish.

"Wow! You're really amazing Hyejin! How did you make these cute little things?" Wheein asked.

Hyejin shook her head.

"That's my little secret."

Wheein frowned as she hit Hyejin's shoulder.

"You big bully!" Wheein teased.

Hyejin let out a laugh as she broke apart her chopsticks and handed them to Wheein.

"Um, Hyejin?"

Hyejin looked over to see Wheein blushing slightly. For some reason, Hyejin felt a little nervous as she tried to keep it cool.

"Yeah?"

Wheein shifted before meeting Hyejin's gaze.

"Do you want to try um, feeding me?" Wheein asked.

Hyejin was slightly shocked at Wheein's request. Did she mean like...a couple?!

"Ah! Never mind! It was a stupid question." Wheein said as she quickly grabbed the chopsticks Hyejin had brought for her. 

Hyejin smiled as she reached over and took the chopsticks out of Wheein's hand.

"Of course darling. I would be honored." Hyejin said with a wink.

Wheein couldn't believe her ears. Was Hyejin really going along with this? Wheein's question was answered when Hyejin lifted one of the octopuses with the wooden sticks, her hand underneath it to catch it if it fell.

"Open wide." Hyejin said.

Wheein did so and opened as Hyejin fed her. Wheein chewed quickly, her ears on fire with embarrassment as she ate.

"How is it?" Hyejin asked, her head cocked to the side in a cute manner.

"It's amazing." Wheein said.

Hyejin's smile made Wheein's stomach fill with butterflies. Hyejin, on the other hand, was going crazy. Wheein was being way too adorable at the moment. To be completely honest, Hyejin had feelings for Wheein, but she was afraid of jeopardizing their friendship so she never acted on it. Unbeknownst to her Hyejin, Wheein felt the same way, but both girls were way too nervous and afraid to admit it. It was moments like these that made both of the girls way too aware of each other and it made space feel a little more special. Wheein was about to say something else when the sound of the lunch bell ringing brought both of the girls back to reality. They had been so wrapped up at the moment they hadn't realized that the lunch hour had flown by so quickly.

"Shoot! I'm sorry!" Hyejin said as she quickly started to pack up the half eaten lunch.

Wheein helped her friend and assured her that it didn't matter if she was late to class. As they both stood up, Hyejin went to head towards the school before she turned back to Wheein.

"Um, do you mind meeting? I mean here, at the willow tree after school." 

Wheein swallowed as her mind thought of a million things at once.

"Uh, yeah sure. That would be cool." Wheein responded only to mentally slap herself for uttering such stupid words.

Hyejin grinned, her eyes sparkling as she nodded.

"Cool. I'll see you later then."

Wheein watched as Hyejin made her way across the yard to leave Wheein standing underneath the willow, the cool breeze blowing across her body as she contemplated what she should do.

-----------------------------

It had been a spur of the moment idea and now Hyejin was cursing in her head at her stupid actions. Now Wheein was definitely going to be suspicious of something. Hyejin was so enraptured with her thoughts she didn't notice that the teacher had stopped talking and was waiting for her to pay attention.

"Ms. Ahn? Would you like to pay attention or do you want to daydream in detention?"

Hyejin quickly shook her head and tried to pay attention to the teacher for the rest of the day. Once the bell rang, Hyejin was a nervous wreck. Was she really going to confess to Wheein? I mean, that was the true purpose of the willow tree, but Hyejin was worried. Everything would be at stake and Wheein was someone she didn't want to lose. The rush of students moved Hyejin along until she arrived at the doors to the courtyard. Hyejin closed her eyes and took a big breath before she put on a mask of confidence. She marched right over to the willow tree where Wheein was standing.

"Wheein. I have to tell you something." Hyejin started.

Wheein looked at Hyejin and that was all it took for Hyejin's mask to crumble.

"What is it?" 

Hyejin her lips to keep them from drying out as she thought of the words she wanted to say.

"I-I like you. I mean, not just as a friend or a best friend. I REALLY like you." Hyejin rushed out.

Wheein's eyes widened as she listened to Hyejin's confession. She was shocked but it was quickly replaced with joy as she smiled.

"I REALLY like you too!" Wheein said.

Hyejin looked surprised but she also let out a long breath of relief.

"I thought you would hate me if I told you. You never seemed interested in girls so I assumed that you didn't like me." Hyejin trailed off as she fiddled with the bow of her uniform.

Wheein let out a cute giggle before she took a step forward and gave Hyejin a quick kiss startiling the other girl. Hyejin's cheeks were pink as she tried to register what had just happened and Wheein brought her into a hug.

"I would never not like you. I just didn't have the courage to confess." Wheein said as she hugged Hyejin.

"So are we girlfriends now?" Wheein asked as she stepped away.

Hyejin reached over and took Wheein's hand in hers.

"Definetly."

The two walked side by side and hand in hand, the willow tree behind them, it's branches seemingly waving goodbye to the new couple that had come together under its shade.