New Year's Kiss

Imagine Your OTP - Wheesa Edition

Hyejin absolutely hated the prospect of being surrounded by people. However, as soon as Youngsun had jumped on Hyejin's bed, her eyes gleaming as she held up two first class tickets to New York, she knew her fate was sealed. 

"Unnie!~" Hyejin whined as Youngsun dragged her through the terminal of South Korea's international airport.

"No whining you bum! You are going and that is final." Youngsun said not even bothering to cast a glance back towards Hyejin.

Hyejin thought of a ton of colorful words to use for expressing her irritation but decided against it in case Youngsun would make her pay for their hotel rooms as an apology. She let herself be dragged along until they had reached the gate for their plane.

"First class?" the attendant asked, her smile un-moving and eyes unblinking as if she was permanently stuck in the facade of a pleasant employee.

Youngsun handed over the tickets before dragging Hyejin , once again, towards the plane. Once they boarded, the two went into the first class cabin.

"Daebak..." Hyejin breathed as her eyes took in the space and luxury of first class.

"See? It's not that bad." Youngsun said as she settled herself into her assigned seat.

Hyejin sat across from her and cast a glance out of the window. If Hyejin wasn't afraid of heights, she would be looking forward to the flight. Soon enough, the planes audio system crackled to life and the captain announced the lift-off. As soon as the plane jerked into movement, Hyejin's grip tightened on the leather armrest and stayed that way until Youngsun managed to pry off Hyejin's death-like grip.

*******

"Isn't this nice?"Youngsun asked as she peered out of the glass window of the hotel room.

Hyejin scoffed as she fixed her attention back to her mirror she was using to perfect her eyeliner.

"Oh come on! You have to appreciate this view!" Youngsun whined as she made her way over to her friend's bed and sprawled her body all over it.

"Maybe to you, but I just got out of the sky thank you very much. I've had enough "view" to last me a lifetime." Hyejin said as she shut her mirror and set it back into her overly stuffed makeup bag.

"Aish. Well, no matter. We still have the big event!" Youngsun said as she sat straight up, shocking Hyejin in the process.

Hyejin shuddered as she thought of what was to come. A year ago, Youngsun had approached Hyejin with the bright idea of seeing the ball drop in New York. It was a major event to signal the beginning of the New Year and people from all over the world attended the major event. Hyejin had instantly shot down the idea. She wasn't about to spend the money she had been saving and she certainly didn't want to stand in freezing weather for what Youngsun thought was the perfect spot. However, Youngsun had different plans and thus, here they were.

"That reminds me, we should probably scope out the premises," Youngsun said, her eyes narrowing as she thought.

"Why? Can't we just go?" Hyejin asked.

Youngsun whirled around and her face towards Hyejin's, her eyes wide in disbelief.

"Seriously?! You have no idea how fierce the competition is to find a good spot." Youngsun exclaimed.

And the conversation ended with a happy Youngsun pushing a heavy coat clad Hyejin out into the hallway, their hotel door beeping closed behind them.

*******

Hyejin awoke to the sound of Youngsun running around the room and the rustling of bags.

"Unnie..." Hyejin groaned, her face digging deeper into the pillow in an effort to fall asleep again.

"Wake up! We have to go!" 

Hyejin lifted her head and peered over at the clock to see it was 4:30 a.m. Youngsun walked over and lifted the covers off of Hyejin causing the younger girl to throw some colorful words out as she reached for the blankets that now rested on the floor.

"Come on. If you aren't ready in 20 minutes, I'm making you pay for the hotel." Youngsun said, her arms crossed as she stared down Hyejin.

The younger had never gotten ready so fast in her life. Youngsun had booked a suite and Hyejin's bank account could not handle such a thing.

Soon enough, both of the girls were riding a taxi into Times Square of New York where the ball would be dropped. Big metal gates stood up in neat sections in the streets and a few people stood around in what would be their spots for later that night.

The two girls stepped out of their taxi and looked around trying to locate the spot they had found the day prior. They found it and they just stood there unsure of what to do.

"Hmm, maybe we could've slept longer."Youngsun stated as she checked her watch. It was only 6.

"You think?" Hyejin said in a sarcastic tone.

Youngsun gave her a look that would've been threatening if it hadn't been interrupted by a loud rumble. Hyejin looked at Youngsun before a laugh escaped her lips only to be silenced by a similar one from her own stomach.

"Want to get breakfast?" 

******

The two had decided to wander around a bit before finally returning to their spot with extra food in hand. The only problem was that a lot more people had filled in what had once been a nearly empty Time Square. Hyejin pushed her way through some people, Youngsun trailing behind her and apologizing to them in broken English. They finally reached their spot and it had turned to 8 p.m. It would be starting soon.

 Hyejin was in the middle of unwrapping a chocolate bar when she was bumped into.

"Hey!" Hyejin said as she turned to face who had bumped her, only, she stopped in awe as she took in the features of who faced her.

The girl had long, straight brown hair with bangs covering her forehead. She wore a gray knitted hat and had 2018 New Year glasses resting on her head. Brown eyes stared back at her and it took Hyejin a second to realize that the girl was talking to her.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't see you and I just." The girl said as she bent down to pick up the now ruined bar of chocolate.

"It's okay. I probably didn't need it anyway." Hyejin said before thinking.

The girl stared at her blankly before chuckling.

"I'm Jung Whee-in." She held out her hand and Hyejin took it.

"Ahn Hyejin." 

"It's nice to see another Korean here. I came here with my friend but she went to go get coffee and I was worried since I'm not good at speaking  English." Wheein said.

Hyejin smiled before remembering the fact that Youngsun was there with them.

"Ah! This is my unnie slash best friend Kim Youngsun." Hyejin said as she gestured towards the pink haired girl.

"It's very nice to meet you! I'm Jung Wheein. My friend Moonbyul is around here somewhere.." Wheein started when she was interrupted by a silver-haired woman holding two cups of coffee.

"Moonbyul-sshi! I was just talking about you!" Wheein said as she clapped her hands together.

Wheein introduced Moonbyul before turning back to Hyejin. 

"It must be fate that we all met here! I'm sure glad we did." Wheein exclaimed as she fixed her gaze on the current performance.

Hyejin just stayed quiet. She wasn't ignoring Wheein though, in fact, she was thinking about how adorable the girl was. Every time Wheein smiled, her dimples popped up and it made Hyejin want to poke them everytime.

"Hello? Hyejin-ah?" Wheein repeated as she waved a glove covered hand in front of Hyejin's face.

"I'm sorry. What did you say?" Hyejin said, hoping she wasn't blushing as she replied.

"I asked if you and Youngsun-sshi would be riding home on the same plane." Wheein said.

"Yes. We are on the next flight back right after this." Hyejin said as she realized that this was the only time she would have with this girl.

"Really!? That's amazing!" Wheein exclaimed, her eyes widening as she did so.

"Why?" Hyejin asked

"Moonbyul and I will be riding that plane home as well." Wheein said as she took Hyejin's arm with her own.

Hyejin's mind was just a whirl of disbelief as she thanked the stars for being so lucky.

"If you two are done flirting, can we watch the show?" Moonbyul teased as she stood next to Hyejin, Youngsun at her side. 

Hyejin went a little red at that comment while Wheein just let out a chuckle.

"What about you two?" She teased pointing to the newly scribbled number on Youngsun's hand.

Youngsun went pink as she tried to cover the ink with her hand, but it was too late.

Soon enough, the countdown was three minutes away. Wheein waved a balloon she had received high in the air as the chants from the crowd grew louder. Hyejin couldn't help but smile as she joined in, whooping and hollering with Wheein.

"It's coming!" Wheein yelled as the clock started its one-minute countdown. 

"Woohoo!" Moonbyul cried before joining in on the calling out of the numbers.

"20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1"

As soon as the crowd hit zero, New York New York blasted throughout Times Square and people laughed and kissed in celebration. Wheein let out a sigh as she watched a couple across from them kiss.

"I wish I had someone like that." She said.

Hyejin suddenly came up with a thought and before she knew what she was doing, she turned Wheein's chin to her and captured her lips in a soft kiss.

Moonbyul let out a shocked gasp and Youngsun just stood in disbelief.

Hyejin relished the feeling of Wheein's lips against her own, but she pulled away before she would lose control.

"W-what?" Wheein stuttered as her cheeks flushed. Her finger brushed her lips before she broke out into a big grin.

"Well that's certainly a way to start off the New Year." Moonbyul said as Wheein hugged Hyejin.

"And she was teasing me?" Youngsun teased.

_____________________

The plane ride back to Korea was a quiet one, and all but one of the girls had fallen asleep. Youngsun's head rested on Moonbyul's shoulder, who was very much asleep. Wheein snuggled closer to Hyejin's body as she slept. Hyejin smiled to herself as she tucked a stray hair behind Wheein's ear. Hyejin would make sure to thank Youngsun many times for this trip.