01:00

Time and Tide...
Please log in to read the full chapter

06:00 - 08:00 AM

Wake up Eat Jog

08:00 - 08:30 AM

Hair protein treatment

08:30 - 10:00 AM

Grocery shopping

10:00 - 11:30 AM

Feed Sir Sleeps Alot Watch TV

11:30 - 12:00 AM

Power nap

12:00 - 14:00 PM

Study

14:00 - 14:15 PM

Eat

14:15 - 14:35 PM

Arrive at studio

14:35 - 17:05 PM

Last practice with Chul

17:05 - 17:25 PM

Get home

17:25 - 18:00 PM

Shower Eat Get ready

18:00 - 18:30 PM

Study

18:30 - 19:15 PM

Meet Chul at club for showcase

I blow out a breath as I adjust the flower in my hair, I've done this before, many times at that. So why am I nervous?

The well lit dressing room is a bit scanty with only two performers hanging around, the two women’s faces beams excitedly as they touch up their makeup in the mirror as they chat on about what they would do if they won tonight's showcase. I block out their conversation as I somehow became the center of it.

Ever since Chul and I have been doing these club competitions we haven't lost, so of course I can sense a bit of envy/rivalry in the other competitors’ voices. I look in the mirror once more as I apply the blood red lipstick to my plump lips, I nod my head at my reflection then push the chair back as I reach down to buckle my shoes.

A knock comes at the door followed by Chul's blonde head of hair peeping in. “Is everyone decent?”

I smile at him as his eyes remain closed, “yeah,” he steps inside then bow at the two women who suddenly grow quiet, “is it our turn?”

He nods his head at me and I get off the chair, “you look really pretty Ri Ta-ssi.”

I furrow my eyebrows at him and look down at the costume. The red ensemble hugs my body in the right places, I spent a few hours day by day working on this and even though I have some skills in dress-making, I'm not as skilled as a professional, “thanks Chul-ssi, you don't look bad yourself. Shall we go?”

With every step I took towards the stage, the frills on the costume shake as if they're alive, I mentally pat myself on the back for the fact that I got that part of the costume correct. Chul and I bow at each passing participant as we make our way backstage, I remain quiet and calm as we help each other with the adhesive labels of our respective numbers.

The big and bright 34 stands out against my costume as I smooth it over my lower area. I'm now regreting showing some skin as I realize the only place where there's enough material is actually over my private parts.

Way to go Rita, give these people more reasons to talk about you.

“How's your knee?”

I flex my right foot, “shockingly it's behaving itself today.”

Chul and I peep through the curtains as a couple finishes up their routine. “Wow, why it is so crowded?”

I shake my head at him, “we'll do fine Chul-ssi, don't be nervous.”

The couple rushes off the stage and we make way for them, we bow in greeting at each other as they make their way further backstage. The announcer takes center stage and I breathe in and out as I try to calm my racing heart.

Chul and I hold on to each other's hand as we make our way to the stage. My face lights up with a show smile as we bow to the cheering crowd.

We take our starting places on the stage and as soon as I hear the opening chord for Maluma’s salsa version of Felices los Cuatros all nervousness washes away and I immerse myself into the routine. The seven-minute dance didn't last as long as it felt and before I knew it, Chul’s helping me off the floor after the dance ended.

We bow at the crowd thrice then quickly exit with smiles on our faces. When we arrived backstage, we jump excitedly in unison at the success of the routine, we briefly hug each other then pull away, “thank you Ri Ta-ssi, you were truly amazing.”

I slap his arm playfully, “it's not all on me, you're a really good salsa partner.”

He smiles at me then clears his throat, “let's grab our stuff from the dressing rooms and watch with the crowd. I think the others from the studio came tonight.”

I nod my head at him then go on my separate way as I head toward to the dressing room. The changing quarters are empty and I'm a bit happy that I'm alone so no one can witness the painful grimace on my face.

I stretch my right foot and a small hissing sound escapes my lips as I straighten the entire leg. Of course I had lied to Chul about my knee behaving itself today, if I didn't then he would want to withdraw us from the competition.

I've already lost everything, so there's no way I'd let a past injury get in the way of a simple seven minute routi

Please log in to read the full chapter