00:00

Time and Tide...
Please log in to read the full chapter

04:00 - 08:00 AM

Wake up Jog Study & Eat Get ready for work

08:00 - 08:30 AM

Get to work Study  Coffee

08:30 - 09:00 AM

Check the board for schedule Find Dr Kim Start the deadly rounds

09:00 Am - 19:00 PM

Refer to work schedule

I briefly glance at the face of my digital watch, I sigh softly as the time flashes back at me, it's 09:02 AM so that means Dr Kim is late by two minutes, and when you're late in a place like this you never know what unfortunate thing could happen. I chew on my lip as I glance at my watch once again, the other interns stand in a huddle as they loudly discuss what club to venture to when that well needed night off from the ER arrives.

I ignore the trio as I start to look for any visible lint on my coat, the bright blue crest of Yonsei University stands prominent and I quickly pin my ID on the -pocket so the plastic thing covers the crest entirely. 

"Here he comes." 

The trio quickly stand in a straight line and I join them just in time to see Dr. Kim step off the elevator, a soft smile lights up the resident's face as he sees us, my facial expression remains the same as I bow along with the others in greeting. I watch silently as he quickly explains how some department meeting went ahead of its time.

I ignore his explanation as I find no interest in what task he had to complete before greeting us, I'm actually a bit ticked off that he managed to be late by six minutes. I blow out a breath as I try to rid myself of those thoughts, the more free time I have, the more I start to think, and when I start to think I get angry. 

"...that's all for now, you can start your rounds and I'll be around if you have any questions." 

I was the first to walk off with the group until I heard my name, I pause in my tracks and turn to face the seasoned doctor. "Dr. Cha, I'm assuming you're used to the way how things work by now." 

I nod my head at him, "yes doctor." 

What do you think I've been doing all these months? Laying eggs? 

He reaches into his pocket and then presents one of those vitamin drinks that I absolutely detest, "I've been lobbying for the interns' shifts to be cut back a little but the hospital won't let up." 

I look down at the small bottle in the palm of his hand, I contemplate whether or not I should accept something that I don't even drink, but then I figured it would be a bit rude if I didn't. 

"Thank you," I place the bottle in the pocket of my coat, "is there anything else Dr. Kim?" 

He shakes his head at me with a smile, "no that's all, I'll be in my office," he shakes both fists at me, "fighting!" 

I don't know whether to grimace or scowl at the awkwardness so I bow at him instead and quickly walk towards the emergency department. It's been a while since I moved here and there still some things that i've yet to get accustomed to, I shake my head as I hurriedly walk on, because of that Dr. Kim I'm already late, and I absolutely hate being late.

If he wasn't such a nice person then maybe people wouldn't want to stop to talk to every two seconds when they see him around. I breathe a sigh of relief as I step through the automatic doors that lead to the emergency ward, I approach the nurses' station with a total change in attitude as I spot the only male nurse on this floor.

I bite my lip to prevent the giggles from spewing out as I watch his head fall back and forth as sleep washes over him. I reach into my pocket and quietly places the small vitamin drink before him, I shake my head in disbelief as the nurse doesn't budge. 

"Nurse Nam," he jumps up at the sound of his name then sigh in relief when his eyes fall upon my face. 

"Oh," he places a hand over his chest, "you scared me." 

I point at the bottle before him, "I brought you something." 

He looks at the bottle with a frown, "let me guess, you got this from Dr. Kim?" I nod my head, "why is he so nice all the time?" 

I watch in sheer amusement as he opens the bottle and drink it all in one-shot, "don't you get off in..." I glance at my watch, "...forty-eight minutes?" 

He shrugs his shoulders, "I think so," he hands me a tablet, "that Dr. Nam took off early today again, so there are a few patients who just need to be discharged," he stands to his feet, "I'm going to the bathroom." 

I nod my head at him then went my separate way, I boot up the tablet so I could inform myself of those few patients who needs to be discharged right now. 

Jin Hae Jin - small lacerations, had stitches done.

Ban Jae Hwan - hairline fracture, casted

Kwon Hyuk - dehydration, IV fluids administered

I sigh to myself as the list seems to go on a bit further, I run my finger along the screen as I think about what patient to see off first, after softly singing that eenie-meenie song

Please log in to read the full chapter