IU (Jang Man Weol)

short stories about love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Let someone go is something that is beyond simple sadness, knowing that you won't see them for a long time. And to let her go, I do not even know whether I can face everything nor keep going.

 

The moment she walked further inside the tunnel, when my eyes could not even catch the glimpse of her shadow anymore, I am still standing like a fool, wishing that she would come back to me like before. That she would suddenly appear again, that I would see her beautiful eyes gazing at me with countless emotions in it.

 

I promised her that I will not feel lonely when she left but I broke it. The pain excruciating in my chest suffocates me so much that the tears that I tried so hard to hold in when she was still here moment ago start to fall. I gasp for air as I'm weeping loudly, with my hand covers up both of my eyes. 

 

It's not even five minutes since we parted, but why am I already crying? Tell me Jang Man Weol-ssi, how can I continue my life living like this?

 

Soon, your memories about us would disappear, you will forget about me and everything that we had. And me, all I can hold onto is only you, I can only rely on beautiful parts of our stories that have you in it. However, I know it's fine with me. You're not feeling the pain and resent anymore, you're as free as a bird now, that's what matters. You finally can be happy, that's what I want.

 

That's why, I need to let you go.

 

===

 

Leaving someone behind is so heartbreaking and just so, so sad. Gripping on the flower stem, I can't even feel my legs as I walk like a robot, entering the bridge with heavy steps. Just like before, my head feels like getting lighter in every step that I take as piece by piece of my memories is gone.

 

Twirling my body around, I look at how far I've gone, how far our distance is. However, I don't understand, there's a smile forming on my lips, a genuine smile. Is this what happiness feels like?

 

One step, two steps more. I am even more confused because the suffocate feeling in my chest is still there but this smile never leaves my face. Bringing my legs forward and keep going, I just cannot explain the reason my heart is hurting like crazy when all I have now is happiness in my mind. I am free, but why am I still feel like there's something missing?

 

I do not understand, no matter how hard I try to find my answer. All of a sudden, a black sedan is in front of me with it's opened door. I guess this is the end of the bridge. Looking back for one last time, still with a smile, I step inside. 

 

Little did I know, my eyes did not mirror my smile. They are crying, leaving with tears behind.

 

===

 

I still find myself going back here, standing in front of the tunnel that is now heading to the source of light, not the pit darkness like before. Clenching my fists, I open up my mouth to let my voice be heard, in midst of my shaky breath.

 

"I'm leaving to New York now, the most prestigious hotel there hired me, the best alumnus of Harvard! That's really awesome right, only the best of the best can work there!"

 

As usual, I only receive my reply from the chirping of birds. My legs feel so weak that I eventually kneel down while placing my fists on the ground, leaning my body forward. "You should've scolded me, you would say 'what's so great about Harvard?', right? You should have, you should have..."

 

The sound of a man in tears because of a woman beats the happily flying birds and if there's a person there that heard it, they would say it is much more than heartbreak and sorrow. It is the way Ku Chan-Sung calling for his love that is already forgotten about him, about them.

 

"Goodbye for now, Jang Man Weol-ssi."

 

===

 

Somewhere in between the clouds, a woman looking down at a man who is still crying on the ground. She has seen countless people who are crying at the same time from the sky, but this certain gentleman makes her feel this intense and suffocating remorse deep inside her that she needs to hold tightly onto the rail in front of her. So far, she has experienced the so-called happiness here, but with just one look on that man, this feeling that she could not understand just appears.

 

She has lost count on how many times she looked at him from above, finding him easily in the sea of people and stare at him for hours. The happiness that she knows, never appears on that man's life, the smile that she always has,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter