Wheein

short stories about love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I do not know when did it start. those feelings just naturally grew in both of our hearts.

 

She looks out at the city lights through our glass window with her usual empty eyes. There are no emotions in it, just plain black. 

 

Then there's me, who tries to make her express something. "What's so interesting outside?" 

 

"What's so interesting about me?"

 

"H-huh?" As always, she is the one who would make me change my expressions, not the other way around like what I intended to do.

 

Moving her body around to face me, I can only stare at something that is so obvious but both of us have neglected it all this time. The dim light in her eyes. Not the same empty eyes as before.

 

"Well you gazed at me while I was looking outside, so I just re-arrange your question." Shrugging her shoulders, she turns her back at me from a different angle that makes me could not see her face. But somehow, I can sense that she is smiling a little.

 

Little did I know that she never was interested in the night view, she was actually looking at the reflection of me through the glass window.

 

===

 

"I've thought about it all summer. I honestly can't see the future for us from the start, our cultural differences, our mindsets, and the way we see the purpose of life are really on two different pages I think it's better if we...break up. And I think it is also better that I tell you now, rather than I keep it by myself and make you waste your time on me."

 

My eyes are still fixed on the rain that keeps on falling heavily, really fits in with the atmosphere that we are having right now. I know that I expected this to come around with how we barely even interact with each other anymore but I still need to find the strength to answer.

 

"I understand. Let's just...break up then." I do not even care how silly I sounded, but I am stunned by how void my heart feels. I try to search for some painful feelings or emotions that show that I am hurting but I cannot find any of them. I just feel like I am an empty shell who turns numb.

 

When I arrive at home, I just go directly to the shower, not even taking any glances at her. I spend the rest of the night sitting on our bed with an opened book on my lap. As if knowing I do not want to talk about anything, she just let me be while trying to make some distance between us by working on her laptop while facing the glass window.

 

When the time to sleep comes, I feel her presence beside me, like always. I know that I would find it hard to sleep tonight, so I try to calm myself down by hearing her soft breath, which eases my mind. Then, she does something that she never did before whenever we sleep, she gently pulls me closer, only to embrace me.

 

"Cry it out, it will make you feel better."

 

Then just like opening the water faucet, the tears just fall. And I just let them fall, I do not even wipe them away, as I take the time to look at myself, to find the reason why I am feeling this way. Only to realize after I stop crying, I am just sad because I am losing a best friend. That's why, there's no painful feeling of having my heartbroken, I just feel like I let go of someone who has supported me all this time, not someone that I have loved.

 

"The crybaby has finished crying, hmm?"

 

I slap her shoulder as I try to hide my face by burying it deeply against her chest, because I know she is smirking at me. Do not want to be the only one who got teased, I lift one of my legs only to wrap it on her own as I cling to her like a baby. I know that she is not used to skinship, so I smirk when I feel her body turns so rigid because of that. I even feel her stop breathing for a few seconds, with how close we are from each other.

 

"I think we need to have more skinship in the future to train you, Wheein-ah. So you won't be this awkward with just simple body contact." I giggle teasingly. 

 

Like the fool that I am, I never try to find the real reason behind it. 

 

===

 

"Wheein-ah!"

 

"Hmm?"

 

I take a peek from her shoulder to see what she's been up to but she immediately closes her laptop, stopping me to see anything. "What are you doing?"

 

Rubbing the back of my head, I chuckle nervously as look at anything but her, as if I just did something bad. "Nothing, just curious."

 

I hear her sighing while opening up her laptop again as if nothing happened. Letting out the breath that I unconsciously held in,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter