Chapter 8

Stained Wings

Youve returned, Calissa said delighted. Ive missed you greatly. She threw her arms around his neck, taking in his familiar scent and his warmth.

He gently returned her embrace before pulling away. Show me what you have practised since I last saw you.

She nodded and began stretching out her legs and her wings. Afterwards she began demonstrating her new routine where she had also modified a few moves to better use her abilities.

Minhyuk was impressed, she had improved by heaps and bounds without him. Strictly speaking she was ready to go to the Academy. But how was he supposed to convince her to be on the Hunters side if they were the ones who took her from her home.

Calissa had stopped as she had noticed the slight frown in his features. Wondering if she had done anything wrong, she walked towards him. Did you not like it? I can always go back to the old routine.

He shook his head, That was very good, I am pleased with your progress. How about a treat? Lets go for a walk. I havent been on one for a while.

They wandered in the large gardens and just basked in each others company. As they walked along one of the paths, Minhyuk bent down, picked a red flower and gently placed it in Calissas hair. She gently touched the flower and then gave Minhyuk a shy smile, which he returned with a tender look in his eyes.

As they returned to the sanctuary, a servant ran out, Master Minhyuk! You have been urgently summoned to the Academy.

Without another word, he ran to his room, got his things and left.

Calissas wings drooped slightly as she made her way back to her room. Minhyuk had only been back for a couple of hours before he was called away yet again. However, this was the first time that a servant had passed on the message.

When Minhyuk arrived at the Academy, he immediately saw the tell-tale sign of a fire. He ran towards the smoke. As he got closer, he saw Hunters fighting Angels.

He was in shock, none of the Angels were ones that he recognized from the List. What was happening? Angels never came into the Academy grounds. That was part of the Pact. But Hunters and Angels have been in a quiet war with one another since The Banishment, but the façade of peace can only be held for so long.

He hurried over to help a fellow Hunter and as he continued to battle the Angels, he didnt notice one of the Angels behind him. The he-angel hit him on the head and he knew no more.