Chapter 16

Stained Wings

Somehow Minhyuks’s mother had managed to convince the Angels to leave them alone, although it had taken much time for them to get the Angels to listen. Not far off he heard a cry of pain. “Calissa,” Minhyuk whispered in fear. He ran as fast as his legs could take him in the direction that he heard the cry.  He soon reached a clearing where a group of Hunters surrounded Calissa. He caught his breath as he saw the number of hits that Calissa had sustained.

“No… no… no…” he whispered brokenly. He held her to his chest and rocked her body. He then stopped to look at her face and her wings before burying his face into them.

The feathers started to get stuck together as they lost their inherent shine. Her wings were now stained... stained with his tears. "Please don't leave me like this," he whispered as he cradled her to his chest, rocking her in his arms. "Don't leave me..." As he continued to mourn the loss of his love, he gave one last cry to the Heavens, a roar that was riddled with a deep pain not even time could soothe. As his cry became softer, he fell unconscious.

A change could be felt, though Minhyuk was not awake, a burning pain ran hot in his blood. The physical pain seemed to be at the edge of equalling his emotional turmoil. "Aaaaaaahhh!" He let out a scream of pain before a blazing fire engulfed him, throughout the land a shift had begun for a new being had just been born.

When Minhyuk woke up again, he felt strange. Something hit him in the face. His vision started to clear up and he saw that he was surrounded by a pair of black wings. At first, he was shocked, until he realised that the wings belonged to himself.

Realising that what felt like moments before, Calissa had been in his arms, he began to look for evidence of her. Instead he found remnants of the Hunters. No matter how hard he searched he couldn’t find her body.

Perhaps it was the devastation that everyone had felt when Minhyuk lost Calissa, which caused both Angels and Hunters to reconcile quickly and renew the vows of the Pact. In any case, a swift investigation was done and any Angel or Hunter found to have been plotting to destroy the tentative peace was either exiled or killed.

There seemed to be a promise of not only freedom from disturbance but also of greater prosperity for both sides to grow together side by side.

However, for Minhyuk, days turned months and months into years until too many years had passed for him to count. Minhyuk hadn’t wanted to be alive but nothing he did changed his continued living.

As he searched as far as he could go in every corner for answers, he found a safe haven in a garden much like the ones that he and his love found sanctuary in, he even found the same type of red flower that he had picked for Calissa when an angel flew in front of him. If Minhyuk had to wager, he would say it was the same one who spoke of a debt that had to be repaid.

“You have suffered much in both your mortal and immortal life. Your suffering will seem endless but when you truly feel despair, your love shall be reborn to you and you shall live the life that you have suffered so much for.” With those words of prophecy, the angel spread her wings and went on her way.

And so, they say that there was a being with black wings that was neither Hunter nor Angel, he was the in-between and he was broken, waiting for the day that his loved one would return to him.