Chapter 7

Stained Wings

An odd calm had fell between her and Minhyuk since she asked him that question. They still trained together and he still showed her new moves until she could do it on her own. However, they never said a word to each other, a silent cloud had settled over them.

They continued like this for a month before things started to return to the way it was before the question was asked. He would take her for walks and ask her random questions about her life before him. And that was what it was, the life before she had met him, before her normal had become a complete change though still uneventful.

Of course, as things usually are, a change occurred yet again after a peaceful year of getting closer.

I have to go to the Academy. Youll be fine here. Ive made sure to let the Head Matron know that she is to still give you your meals and allow you into the training room and my personal library. Try to stay out of sight. He left and she didnt hear from him for two weeks.

The day that she heard the training room door open, the first true smile graced her face as she saw Minhyuk return. Something had changed between them. Sadly, Minhyuk was constantly being called away for missions but she looked forward to his arrival every time.

They had found a new routine with Minhyuk being sent out on more and more hunts as he seemed to bring in results. Whenever he returned, they would spend the next day completely in each others presence. Sometimes they would spar, they would have tea and Minhyuk would talk about his missions quietly and without going into much detail but mainly they would just keep each other company. Perhaps this had always been a part of their relationship, the lack of words but the stability each provided to the other.

After being called away for a hunt, one evening Minhyuk had unexpectedly arrived back early, he went towards the sitting room. He heard his grandparents talking and just as he was about to open the door, he heard his name.

Minhyuk has changed. Have you seen him this past year and a bit? The Academy reports that he has been doing excellent work but it worries me, Minhyuks grandfather said.

Minhyuks grandmother responded, Change is good. He is bringing honour to our family.

Im worried about the reason for this change. I fear history repeating itself As Minhyuks grandfather was about to continue, Minhyuks grandmother cut in, We swore never to speak of it again.

Knowing that he couldnt hide anymore lest he be caught, Minhyuk opened the door and with a customary bow to both his grandparents, he sat in his usual seat.

Minhyuks grandfather swallowed before saying, And how was your latest mission?

Successful as always, Minhyuk replied.

Im proud to hear that, my grandson, Minhyuks grandmother said.

They continued to catch up regarding the various political standings of the families and the recent movements of the Angels.

After Minhyuk bid his grandparents goodnight, he made his way to Calissas room. He opened the door as quietly as possible and found her sleeping. She looked so peaceful and clearly she felt safe if she left her door unlocked. He was pleased to see that she looked well, he worried that with his absences that she would fade but luckily, she hadnt.

Soon he would have to present her to the Academy, hopefully she would be ready and willing. He couldnt fail this one. All the others mattered little but if he could succeed in this task then his family would be forgiven, he would have brought a valuable weapon into the Academy and to the Hunters.