Chapter 17: City of Light

Been Through (Destined Lovers in Wonderland)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"In any case, Kyungsoo, let's talk about you. My card soldiers have informed that you're searching for your way home."

 

 

"Yes, that's right." 

 


"If you're having trouble remembering where you live, why don't you stay at the Castle of Heart for a while?"

 


"What? Are you sure?"

 


My eyes widened in surprise at her unexpected suggestion. 

 


(Joonmyun doesn't seem like a bad person, she even called me by my real name, Kyungsoo.)

 


I briefly considered accepting her proposal, but...

 


"No, Your Highness."

 


Baekhyun put his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him as he joined the conversation. 

 


"It's my duty to guide her through Wonderland. You may be the Queen of Hearts, but it's a bit high-handed of you to usurp the roles of others, don't you think?"

 


When Joonmyun remained silent, Baekhyun pressed on. 

 


"I understand that you want to protect her. You want to put her in a safe cage and keep danger at bay... But she deserves to be set free. Let her roam this world as she sees fit."

 


Baekhyun might have had his own motives, but my only thought was-- I wanted to make my own decisions. I didn't want to agree with him, but he had a point. I did want to stand on my own two feet.

 


"...Thank you, Your Majesty." 

 


I thanked the Queen as I shoved Baekhyun away. At least now I was free.

 


"I'm very touched by your invitation, but I'm afraid I must decline. I would feel overwhelmed staying in such a luxurious castle... I want to hurry home, so I don't have time to relax in a castle. I need to work on finding my way home... On my own, of course."

 


Joonmyun cast her eyes down for a moment before nodding her head in decision.

 


"All right, Kyungsoo. But if you ever need anything at all, don't hesitate to come to me for help."

 


"I won't."

 


I smiled and returned her nod, moved by her generosity. Joonmyun and I continued to chat with each other. About how everything in Wonderland was new to me, because I didn't remember anything. About how I was surrounded in town yesterday. And about the meal Baekhyun served me after he invited me to his house. All the while, Joonmyun listened in amusement. It was obvious she was enjoying our chat. 

 


"Well, it's time for me to go." 

 


And now it was time to say goodbye. The Queen of Hearts squeezed my hand tightly and whispered in earnest. 

 


"...Listen carefully, Kyungsoo."

 


"Wha...?"

 


"Your wishes will likely never coincide with Baekhyun's motives. So...please beware of the Cheshire Cat."

 


I read the gravity in the tone of her voice. It served to convince me that she wasn't joking, there was something about Baekhyun. I had sensed there was more to him, but now that it was being confirmed, I found myself at a loss for words. 

 


"Oh...Bambam?"

 


While I was in a daze, furry hands...I mean, paws. Anyways, Joonmyun noticed Bambam nervously rubbing his hands together. 

 


"Are you trying to tell me you want to go with Kyungsoo?"

 


"No... I'm happy to stay here. It's my duty to follow your orders, Your Highness."

 


"It's all right, Bambam."

 


The Queen of Hearts smiled softly as she raised her heart-shaped cane and proclaimed in a singsong voice. 

 


"As the Queen of Hearts, I order you... White rabbit, you are to accompany Kyungsoo, do you understan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter