CH2.Doomsday

Paper Heart

Chapter 2: Doomsday

-SENIOR YEAR-

It was a bright sunny day. Kim Ki Bum rubs his eyes modestly thinking one of his eye lashes might fell, and it could be one of his worst nightmares. He rolls to the other side of his bed and stretches his hands upward then jumps out of his bed. He swiftly dance his way to the mirror and admires his self. He drew his thumb on his chin and say,

“Gaad! I still look hot.” He said will full confidence and smile. After that he winked to his self. He made his way towards the bathroom, as he realized that 8 o’clock is coming near. School hours will start again; drooling girls would follow him once more.

Some guys don’t want that kind of attention. Most of them prefer to have to a normal life, with no girls to tail on them. A number of guys are really just like that.

Except for one.

His name is Kim Ki Bum or better known as Key.

He’s an attention seeker, always wants to be the center of everything especially when it comes to girls. To summarize his character, he’s obnoxious. But to make him unique from the entire attention seeker organization, he doesn’t want to date any girl—in a serious way. Yet, he kept a good friend, their neighbor and his classmate, named Lee Yuri.

As he walk closer to the dining room, after he had finished preparing his self for school. He saw his cousin and bestfriend, Kim Jin Ho, restlessly walking on their apartment. He sat on the chair on the dining area, held the chopstick with his left hand, right hand on the bowl, and wait for a miracle to come—somebody who will serve him a food.

.

.

.

He just sat there still, with stomach growling , the door kept on banging and banging against the wall, every time Jin Ho would walk on the other room to the other. He sighs, as the wall clock ticks. His chair makes an eerie sound as he stood up.

Then there was a knock on the door and it opened slowly.

“Key?” Yuri said shyly. Ki Bum look at his left and saw her standing, with only half of her body can be seen inside.

“Yuriiiiiiiiiiii!!!” Key dash closer to her and hug her tight as he saw her with a sandwich on her hand. Her heart starts to pound faster. Just like the other girls, Yuri likes him. But she kept it secret, thinking that she might be rejected by him. So, either from the distance or she’s close to him, she told herself that she’ll be a good friend and a secret lover. It felt so good yet wrong at the same time, she thought. “You save me from hunger! You didn’t know how hungry I am.” He said almost with teary eye. Yuri just giggled on what she had heard. He let go of his hands from her petite body, pulls his bag on the floor. She made her way outside and followed by Key.

“thans fo da sanwish. (Thanks for the sandwich)” He said with his mouth full of bread. Yuri laugh when she saw something color white came out from his mouth. He just stood there, and watches the bread splash on the ground. “Thank heavens; its only Yuri who saw that, or else, the girls would be turned off, if they will saw it.” The two of them just laugh; Yuri is used to this setting that her obnoxious friend is really something, always proud of his self.

---

As they step a foot at school, the most favorite place of our hero. He grinned wide as he saw lots of girls looking at him. He looked at his back to Yuri, she just shrugs and silently walked away.

“Hi, Key!”

“There he is!”

“Kyaaaaaa!!!! It’s Ki Bum!”

“KEYYY! I like you!”

He winked to some of the girls that he came across. Some of them almost fainted. He exhale and smile, this is life, he whispered to his self as he sat on his chair inside the classroom.

---

“Ne!” Kim Jin Ho shouted, as he accidentally saw his cousin along the hallway. It’s already their dismissal time. They stop and turned their heads toward his direction. Jin Ho, being the sports minded, said, “You guys go ahead. Don’t wait for me. I still have a practice up to 9pm.”

Key, blurted a laugh and utter, “Who said we will wait for you?” Jin Ho just smirk. “I'm just kidding.” He said, pause and snorted. “Good luck with your practice!”

“Yeah! Don’t worry; we’ll save you some food…. If dad won’t eat your share” again, he laugh as if no other students, nor are teachers there.

“Gee… thanks for the concern” Jin Ho answered acerbically.

“Anytime! See you!” Key shouted after he turn back. He raised his hand and wave at him. He didn’t know, his cousin was making fun of him behind his back. He lifts his duffel bag, and huff, another practice again.

Meanwhile…

They’re already near the apartment, just few more blocks away. Jun seok, his classmate and also a neighbor, stop and slap Key’s chest, he asks, “where’s your girlfriend?”

“Who? I don’t have a girlfriend.”

“ Yuri?”

Key’s brows, wrinkled with a crook smile, “she’s not my girlfriend.”

“Liar!!” he stood in front of him and shouted straight to his face. Key pushed Jun Seok’s face, afterwards he walk side by side with them again.

“Ki Bu---” a soft voice spoke, but she was immediately cut by what she had heard.

“Yeah… me and Yuri we’re just friends.” Key said with a slight curve of his lips. Little did they know, Yuri, was walking behind them. She was not stalking them, but since they live in a same neighborhood; they walk in the same path. She heard what he had said.

It's the two words a girl or a guy never wants to hear. It broke her heart; she always thought that she has this ‘special rank’ to him. She turns around, with eyes getting watery and run away. “In fact, she always saves me from hunger. I can consider her a girlfriend material that every guy admires.” Key continued.

“Then do you have any feelings for her?” Jun Seok asks again.

“No… just like what I’ve said, were just friends.”

“But she possessed the characteristics your ideal girlfriend.”

“I only said, I consider her having a girlfriend material.”

“It’s the same, dumb . That means you like her.”

“Nope. Friends don’t fall in love.”

“Whatever” He spoke and roll his eyes. he walk ahead of him and started to put a pair of headset on his ears. Key look up, something drop on his forehead.

It will rain tonight. He mumbled.

---

And it really happened. It was a dark rainy night. Luckily our athlete brought with him an umbrella; he didn’t experience any hardship whilst going home. On his way home, as he strides closer, he saw a silhouette of a girl lying on the ground, dead to the world. He immediately threw the umbrella and dashed closer to her.

“Oh my god! Oh my god!” he carried her head into his right arm and tap her face with his other palm continuously. He never felt this terrified before, “Oh! Oh! Oh! Please! Tell me you’re not dead. Please!” this time, though he’s very scared at the same time anxious, out of sympathy he carried her soak body inside, still panicking.

When they reached inside their apartment, she started to move a little. She opened her shimmering eyes for the first time, and ask weakly, “w-who a-are you?”

Jin Ho blushed as he got mesmerized by her simple beauty; he smiled happily, and answered “Jin Ho, Kim Jin Ho… and you?”

“Ae---” before she could respond her heavy eye lids fell again. She was sleeping like a baby on his arms.

“Ow… shoot… where should I let her stay?” he said quite aloud. But she didn’t reply. “My bed is too small for us.” Out of blue it came out from his mouth, a sight of him, going red, marked on his cheeks. He immediately shook of his head, before his imagination might somewhat end on different way. “It would not be nice if I would let her stay at the couch…”

He accidentally stop in front of Key’s room, he smile widely and nod.

---
The sun was shining directly to his face. He was cuddling her like his own pillow. Her forehead was on his lips level. Every breath that he takes in and out, she could feel it and it tickles her down her spine. They both smiled as they thought everything was dreamy with eyes till closed….

He kissed her head and hugged her more closely. They move a little. For a split second, they both realize something was erroneous…. A weight over her body. A girl sleeping on his arms. Together, their eyes grew larger like they were jolted back to reality. His eyes, looked downward, her eyes tilted upward. They’re gazes met slowly under the dazzling sunny morning.

“Ahhhhhhh!!!!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------