CHAPTER 7

I Grow Up Like This

D-DAY

Full Mun clan's training basement

 

 "So, everyone already prepared your own necessities? "

 

 Taeyeon questioned the men as she scanned the small black baton in her hand. She striked open the expandable baton and swung her arm around. She was wearing a black mecha crop top paired with a dark grey leggings and also a pair of chelsea boots. Well, certainly she was looking extra badass for the mission to save Jisoo.

 

 " Yup, I got my own dagger with my OWN name crafted at the handle. Also, I got a pair of batons that I can attach at the back of my vest, " Sungjae proudly showed his dagger and the vest previously mentioned. Taeyeon nodded in approval as she geared up her own weapons. " Tae, are you sure about this? Do you have like a backup plan or something? " Hyoseop questioned. It's not like he was doubting her capability but whenever Taeyeon planned an independent mission, it never turned out as they wanted to. His concern revolves more towards her luck rather than her brain and brawl. 

 

 " Haih, oppa, trust me. If this mission goes downhill, I'll be responsible, " she beamed and the lad scrunched his face, not satisfied with the lady's answer. " Yeah, but h-... " Taeyeon's slender finger shut his mouth. She shook her head, implying that she didn't want to receive another question.

 

 " Alright, take these walkie-talkies. If anything went wrong I'll abort the mission, "

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 " Is this it? " a middle aged man questioned himself in a low tone as his poor eyesight tried to adjust to the dim surrounding of the underground tunnel. " Woah, there must be some kind of gold or drugs at the back to be using such discreet path, " he gasped as his eyes widened along. " W-what if it's a drug dealer mafia? " his eyes blinked repeatedly as fear was apparent on his face. Out of the blue, a man in black attire stood right at the middle of the road, halting the huge vehicle from moving.

 

 " Excuse me sir, you're in the way! " the man screamed after he poked his head out of the window. The man in black silently and without hesitation rushed towards the driver's side and karate chop the man's neck, enough to not make the man died but only unconscious. He pulled down his mask and threw his black coloured cap to the passenger's side. " Phew, that went well, " The man in black, Hyoseop, sighed in relief as he pushed the original driver to the back and continued to the Park Top clan's hideout. 

 

Back Entrance

Park Top clan's hideout

 

 " Taeyeon-ah, today is your lucky day, " Sungjae pulled the handbrake and flashed a sly smile to the younger woman. Taeyeon gasped. She turned toward the beaming man and gripped his arm tight.

 

 " I get to choose the song today?! "

 

 " Yes!! I'll let you do the honour to choose my background music for today's mission, " Sungjae smirked smugly as Taeyeon already rummaged through the drawer in front of the passenger's seat. " Song? Why are you guys choosing a song now? " San asked the pair as he was clearly confused by the conversation juts now. " Yah Sungjae oppa, you did not tell him yet? How did you even fight if it's not using your signature moves? " her hand was still busy rummaging through a bunch of old cassettes as she asked him.

 

 " Eyy, of course I can fight using another skills out of MANY of mine. This style is only when I'm in charge of distracting the enemy, " he smugly stated.

 

 " Oh really? I thought that's the only thing that you're good at, " the man beside her furrowed his eyebrows and sulked. " That's harsh Taeyeon, " he muttered making the woman chuckled slightly. Her eyes gleamed when she found the cassette that she wanted. " This. Your first ever fight with me, " his eyes landed on the cassette in her palm. Elvis Presley. 

 

 A rush of flashback clouded his mind. The first and the last time this song was played, when he first met his best friend, Kim Taeyeon.

 

 2018

Incheon

 

  20 years old Sungjae limped towards the enemy as his eyes trailed off at his teammates. Some of them were struggling to fight while holding in the pain from multiple injuries on their body. While most of them were already unconscious on the cold, hard ground. Leaving no sign of life. His eyelids fluttered, his body bent down to the ground, almost hitting it hard. 'No, I can't leave it like this. I can't let it all end like this!'.

 

 That's what he thought. However, his body said otherwise and fell hard on the floor. Just when darkness was about to take over his consciousness, the slight noise from his ancient boombox made his ears perked. Did someone touched his boombox? Then, the melody from Hound Dog blasted. His ears felt full. 

 

 A pair of red sneakers entered his sight and the half-conscious man gathered all his strenght left and looked up. He could see a woman. Her hair tied up in pigtails and her left hand was holding a long wooden stick. She looked at the man beside her feet. A smile crept up on her face. 

 

 " It's okay. You're okay now, "

 

 That's the last thing he heard after darkness engulfed him.

 

 Sungjae snapped from his own train of thoughts and his eyes diverted to make eye contact with the woman beside him. " Hound dog? Cool, " he snatched the cassette from Taeyeon's hand and rushed to the back of his car. San just eyed the man as he walked to his side. " A boombox? " San questioned and Sungjae smirked at him. His hand caressed the old boombox lovingly and a kinda nostalgic sigh escaped his mouth. " Yup, an ancient one at it, "

 

 The younger man followed Sungjae's movement as he took out his boombox and calmly walked towards the back entrance of the hideout. " H-hyung! " he called out raspily but a hand stopped him from following Sungjae. " He's a pro. Just let him do his job, " Taeyeon whispered at him as both of them crouched behind the car and peeked to watch Sungjae's progress. 

 

 Sungjae, with his left hand inside his trouser's pocket and his right hand carrying the boombox, he leisurely walked towards the back entrance, his eyes locked towards the three guards. They finally noticed him however no attack was done because to be frank, Sungjae just looked like some drunkard accidentally trespassing the territory. He set the boombox gently beneath a shady tree and put the cassette inside. He pressed play and flashed a blinding smile. Both his hands reached for the batons at his back and he whipped it open.

 

 " Shall we dance? "

 

 The pair behind the car just stayed silent witnessing their partner doing his job right. " Woah, he looked extra badass doing this kind of action, " San muttered as his mouth hung low at the sight of Sungjae kicking the guard's asses with Elvis Presley's song at the background. " Yup, whenever we fight together he always do this style so I didn't even know that he can fight normally. You know what I mean? " Taeyeon explained as San looked at her focused stare. A smirk crept up on his face. " Maybe you can ask him to show you another fighting style of his, "

 

Underground Entrance

Park Top clan's hideout

 

 Back at the undergound entrance with Hyoseop driving the lorry filled with drugs at the back, plus an unconscious man. His pupils moved uneasily from the navigation to the deserted underground path. Feeling quite unsure whether he's following the right way. After another left turn, he saw 4 guards with guns. His forehead scrunched when he saw nothing behind the guards. " What the heck? Don't tell me the entrance is invincible or some , "  he cursed under his breath. One of the guards signaled him to stop the vehicle and walked to the driver's side. 

 

 " Password? "

 

 Hyoseop could feel his blood turned cold. ' Password?! For heaven's sake what's the password?! ' his eyes roamed around the lorry as a he nervously chuckled. A piece of paper beside the car stereo caught his eyes. The agitated man became relief and a confident smile appeared on his face. 

 

 " Top, "

 

Back Entrance

Park Top clan's hideout

 

 " Damn Sungjae! It's been awhile since I see you in action so I'm hella impressed, " she extended her fist and Sungjae bumped theirs together. " Alright, you go to the underground entrance and meet up with Hyoseop. San and I will move first, " Taeyeon instructed and received a thumbs up from her friend.

 

 " Taeyeon, are you sure we're moving at the right path? " San asked her when they finally entered the vent. " Don't worry, I'm really good at reading blueprints, maps and things alike, " she answered, assuring him slightly when in all honesty, Taeyeon herself didn't have any confidence in her. She stopped crawling and looked down to see only darkness. " Well, maybe this is the right place, " she muttered to herself. " Hey, listen to me. If this ended up not the place, you turned around and go to the back entrance okay? " Taeyeon said and that made the both of them slightly nervous. 

 

 Taeyeon unscrewed the vent covers and moved it aside slowly, trying to avoid making as much noise as they could. She let her lower body dangle out first and flawlessly landed on the carpeted ground. ' Wait.... carpet? ' her eyes widened when she realised the texture of the ground beneath her feet was not hard.

 

 The light , blinding the woman's eyes.

 

 " Welcome aboard to my crib darling, "

 

 Now she finally got a good look of her surroundings. It was not the basement instead they were at an absolutely fancy hallway. In front of her was Park Jimin, the leader of the clan, extending both of his arms as if asking for a hug from the lady.

 

 " Oh , "