CHAPTER 3

I Grow Up Like This

 " Urgh, "

 

 The loud grunt filled the silent environment of the isolated alley and sounds of punches and kicks could be heard by anyone that passed by. Not that anyone actually had a gut to walk there. 

 

 " Now, before my last blow, you better tell me what your boss had been planning, " a man in black hoodies and black trousers whispered to a middle-aged man whom was wearing suits as if he was an office worker. " Tch, n-not a word, "

 

 The man spat blood out of his mouth and snickered at the man who was glaring at him intensely. " Woah, ahjussi you really lived a good life huh to be this fearless, " another man whom was wearing a maroon leather jacket and jeans stated as he stared at the man with his innocent looking eyes. Anyone, even the enemies, could be deceived by that innocent look he gave to people.

 

 But not this particular man they were beating up.

 

 " After I left your clan, my boss had been treating me well and I've gotten much wealthier than you guys will ever be! " he cackled as the two younger men scoffed. " Jisoo hyung, destroy him, " the younger one declared coldly and as soon as he said that, an excrutiating scream echoed througout the dark and hollow alley. 

 

 " Hyoseop-ah, you deal with the body first. I need to call boss, " the older one said as he took out his phone and dialled their boss' numbers. Hyoseop reluctantly dragged the body to the side and threw the body beside the green trashbin. 

 

 " Hello bos-... " his body jolted when a scream greeted his ear as soon as his boss answered his call. " Yah, Yook Sungjae that's the antique vase I just got from China! " his boss sighed then focused at the phone call. " Sorry Jisoo, Sungjae here has been giving me headache all day, " his boss said and sighed again.

 

 " It's okay Eric hyung, we just finished with Kim Wonhae and as you requested we didn't kill him, " as soon as Jisoo finished his sentence, Hyoseop screamed. " Hyung, I don't think this ahjussi is breathing anymore! " Jisoo facepalmed and nervously giggled. 

 

 " You heard that? "

 

-------------------

 

 " It's okay guys, I know how Wonhae can be and he's a persistent man. For sure he won't spill the beans even if you tortured him in the most painful way if he wanted to defend something, " Eric said as he sipped the black coffee and put the cup elegantly on the table. 

 

 " Wait, Wonhae ahjussi left us for Red Kwon clan right? How can he defend those scumbags even during his last moment? Eric oppa for sure treated him way better than them! " Taeyeon huffed as she crossed her arm and scrunched her forehead, trying to think of reasons why someone would prefer the Red Kwon clan's boss despite all the bad rumors and became a rival to Eric despite his good nature. 

 

 " Our clan, Full Mun clan, is the only clan that knows Red Kwon clan like our upper hand. However, Red Kwon clan knows nothing about us. I'm pretty sure his boss bribed him for informations and that could explain the good treatment he said he received from his boss, " Hyoseop explained as he looked at the front camera of his phone and fixed his hair. One thing that he prioritised the most is his appearance and nothing else was above it, not even his own clan or family. 

 

 Well, not that he had one, his clan is his family.

 

 " Aigoo, stop doing that you're distracting me from our meeting, " Taeyeon stated as she snatched the smartphone inside Hyoseop's hand. The guy just gaped but then flashed a wide smile and put his chin inside both his palms. " Why? Because I'm too good-looking? " he wiggled his eyebrows that received another sigh from Taeyeon. 

 

 " So, what will happen next? Since these two gentlemen kindly put one of their members in a critical state, I don't think they would let it go, " Taeyeon said with sarcasm laced in her sentence, she glared at the two young men, making them both jolted from their seats. 

 

 " Sorry for interrupting, but I have a bad news, " Park ahjussi announced at the entrance of the meeting room, attracting four of them. Eric's eyes widened as he could expect what it was before Park ahjussi could even announce it. Park ahjussi entered and whispered something to Eric. His response to the news were a sigh and some curse words. 

 

 Quiet enough to make sure Taeyeon couldn't hear any of those dirty words.

 

 " Taeyeon-ah, I think it's time for you to get your act on, " Eric stated, making Taeyeon's eyes doubled their original size and she squealed in happiness.

 

 The three men shared a confused look. " Y-you do know what I meant by that, right? " Eric asked. He didn't expect that reaction from her at all. Moreover that he knew she has an exam this upcoming month and she despise it whenever someone disturb her precious study time. 

 

 " Yeah, we're going to have a HUGE fight with the Kwons right? This is so exciting! " she clapped her hands as she squealed and jumped up and down on her seat. She slowly stopped her action when she saw the weird stares she received from the men.

 

 " I mean, it has been years since I got into a real and intense fight, you do know that I have been keeping all those strengths trap inside this body of mine by studying, " she cheekily giggled. Eric had been keeping her from fights that seemed easy because he trust his clan members could finish them up but whenever a war between one of the biggest clans in South Korea blow up, he needed Taeyeon, Full Mun's greatest and most powerful warrior.

 

 Taeyeon suddenly stood up. She put both her palms in front of her stomach and respectfully bowed a perfect 90 degrees to Eric.

 

 " Your greatest fighter at your service! "

 

--------------------

 

 " Kim ahjussi, what are you doing here? It's already midnight you should go home, " 

 

 Jiyong asked his old butler whom was feeding him the porridge that his maids cooked for him. " I already tell the nurses that I'm your guardian and I'm going to stay overnight, " the old man laughed softly as he fed the young man the porridge again, his eyes were full of fatherly love for the injured man. Jiyong saw those feelings and couldn't help but cracked a smile. 

 

 ' I wish that he is my real father. I wish that this is the reality, '

 

 He silently wished hard inside his heart as he opened his mouth to welcome the taste of the warm porridge. Kim ahjussi's smile turned to a frown when he remembered something that Mr. Kwon, Jiyong's father, reminded him to do. He hesitatedly looked into Jiyong's eyes and set the porridge bowl at the table beside the hospital bed. 

 

 " Jiyong-ah, I need to tell you something, " he stated with obvious anxiousness. Jiyong whom noticed the change in his voice frowned. " What is it? " although his voice didn't waver, he couldn't lie to himself that he was feeling the anxiousness that the older man was feeling. " Your father instructed me to convey this to you, " he looked down to the floor, hesitating whether he should tell the boy or not. 

 

 " He wished you fast recovery-... " Jiyong's eyebrows furrowed at the sudden kind wish he received from his father. " ...-because you will be summoned for the war between Full Mun clan and Red Kwon clan, " 

 

 His heartbeat rose at the last sentence Kim ahjussi said to him. " Jiyong-ssi you should stay calm and rest because even myself don't know what boss is keeping for you in the future, " he said as he pushed his glasses uo to his nose bridge. He stood up and went to turn off the light before he bowed and wished the flabbergasted man goodnight.

 

--------------------

 

  " Holy crap Taeyeon, that is a HUGE bruise, " Tiffany gasped as she caressed the purple blue-ish bruise on Taeyeon's forearm. " It's nothing, I'm just practicing for my future fight, " she beamed a smile and bit the pork cutlet she ordered. Her two bestfriends just shared a disbelief look and fed their empty stomachs. 

 

 " Thank goodness you always wear this lame grey hoodie of yours to classes. Nobody question anything, " one of Taeyeon's classmates in marketing course, Jieun, stated as she stared at the hoodie Taeyeon had been wearing since the first time she entered the university. 

 

 " Yah, shut your mouth, " Taeyeon scoffed as she threatened to elbow the girl whom just chuckled. " It's true girl, you need a makeover after we graduate. Oh, or should we do it during the annual party? " Tiffany and Irene looked at each other after the idea popped inside their mind and squealed excitedly.

 

 " Urgh, " Taeyeon rolled her eyes and fed herself quickly as she remembered that she needed to pick up some books in the library and study there since she knew she won't be having any time to study anymore. " I'm going to the library first, " she hurriedly sling her bag to her shoulder and bid them goodbye. Thankfully she was quick to adapt with the change of her schedule. Nowadays, because of the practices she needed for the fight, she spent her evening in library to study while at night she spent them to practice in the hideout.

 

 " Alright alright Jisoo oppa, I'll be there exactly at 8 no worries, " Taeyeon clumsily packed her bag as she saw she surpassed her studying time and now she needs to sprint to her house else she received the punishment from her 'coach', Jisoo. " Damnit, I have to pull an all-nighter tonight I guess. I haven't even able to finish this topic, " she groaned and ruffled her hair frustratedly. She glanced at her watch and gasped. " I got 20 minutes more, " she sprinted as fast as lightning.

 

 A few minutes after running non-stop, she stopped for awhile to take a deep breath and looked at her watch. " Yes, I got 10 more minutes and this store is just 5 minutes walk from home, " she pointed at the small shop beside her. As she casually walked toward her house, she spotted a man standing beside an abandoned store, quietly looking at the small alley beside the store.

 

 It was dark and some streetlamp didn't even work.

 

 " Who is that? " she squinted her eyes as she tried to figure out the identity of the man. " Aish, curse these lamps, why aren't you working when I need you to work? " she muttered as she showed her fist to the obviously not guilty streetlamp.

 

 " Excuse me, what are you doing here? I mean I know that you're doing nothing but why aren't you doi-... " Taeyeon's sentence was cut off with a gasp that came out of when she saw what the man was looking at. Four high school kids were there, one of them were being held by two of the students. While one of them were punching the hell out of that kid. A lamp beneath them gave the chance for Taeyeon to check the condition of the victim and oh my, Taeyeon almost cursed off. 

 

 Taeyeon ran off from her position towards the kids leaving behind the familiar man whom was flabbergasted at the cruel  sight in front of him. He stood there with his mouth hung low and immediately was ashamed at the fact that his feet won't move by his command and stayed frozen there.

 

 One of the kid pulled out a cutter from his pocket and smirked at the victim. " P-please stop. I-I need to get back home.....to my sister, " his face was wounded with bruises and blood spluttered out of his mouth. His expression tensed at the sight of the cutter.

 

 " Yah, stop! " 

 

 The group turned their head toward the voice and the boy holding the cutter was greeted with a flying kick toward his face. One of the boy that was holding the victim threw a punch but unfortunately for him, Taeyeon was stronger. She gripped his fist tightly and twisted his arm to the point everyone in the alley could hear his bones cracking.

 

 A scream echoed throughout the dark alley and the man who was only watching the scene immediately fell to the ground, his body shook and sweats formed on his forehead. His breath quickened and he desperately ed the button of his shirt to give some room for him to breath. The horrible memories flashed inside his mind like a theatre of his past. 

 

 Taeyeon threw another punch at the last bully and smashed his head to the wall. She heaved and dusted off her hand after the three bullies were unconscious on the ground. " Are you okay? I think your wounds are severe, you really need to go to the hospi-...  YAH! " her sentence was continued with her scream when the victim immediately ran off without even thanking or accepting Taeyeon's offer to help him. 

 

 " Woah, kids nowadays are so ungrateful, " she shook her head and turned to her original path. She saw the man whom was observing just now was sitting on the ground, still doing nothing. 

 

 She shook her head and slowly approached the man. " You know what, you could have been a big help if you prevent that scene from happening in the first place. I mean, they're just school kids you can just kick their like I did, " she proudly giggled after she lectured the man. As she went near the man, she furrowed her eyebrows. 

 

 ' Why does he look so familiar? '

 

 " I mean, I understand that you might be panicking but you should do something as an adul-... " she gasped when she saw the man's face. He was gasping for breath, his face was very pale, drenched with sweat and his pupils were shaking as well as his body. 

 

 " Kwon Jiyong?! "