INTRODUCTION

I Grow Up Like This

 " Urgh, today is very tiring, "

 

 The dark haired girl muttered silently as she packed her stationery inside her bag. " Yah, guys, Yuju want to treat you guys to karaoke and BBQ after school, anyone wants to join can join! " Eunha, one of Yuju's best friends shouted as their classmates roared with cheers after hearing the word 'treat'. Yuju looked at the dark-haired girl who was just silently checking her phone at her desk. A small smile crept up on her beautiful face as she walked toward the girl, making her friends gaped in amazement. " Kim Taeyeon, want to join us? " she flashed a sweet smile that instantly mesmerized the awed girl. She stammered as she adjusted her thick, black-rimmed glasses.

 

 " Wait, what? Why are you even asking her? Let's just go, she's not needed, "

 

 Taeyeon widened her eyes after she heard the heart-melting voice came from no other than her pretty boy crush, Kevin.

 

 Yuju glared at her boyfriend after he blurted out the harsh words to Taeyeon. In all honesty, Yuju had been eyeing Taeyeon since the first time she entered this school. She noticed how Taeyeon always finished her school work on time, got good grades and literally the teacher pet. She also noticed how she always squirmed and stammered whenever someone was talking to her, specifically her boyfriend. Of course, as Kevin's girlfriend, she should be angry that another girl harbored a feeling toward her man, but she matured and she let it be. A person doesn't have a control over their own feelings, that's just what Yuju thinks. 

 

 " Don't be rude, " Yuju pinched her boyfriend's arm and then turned toward Taeyeon. " Let's join us, okay? After all, this is our last semester being together as a classmate, " she outstretched her arm toward Taeyeon. " Let's go? " anxiety built up inside Taeyeon as she eyed the people behind Yuju who was giving her nasty stare and threatening her if she even dare to agree with Yuju's idea. " I-I'm sorry, " Taeyeon muttered as she cowered and walked as fast as she can out of the classroom. Yuju eyed her running figure as the only thing she could do was just watch her.

 

 " See, she's a weirdo, you don't need her to join us, " Kevin said as he smirked and draped his arm around her shoulders. The man's face looked confused after he heard his girlfriend huffed loudly. He turned to look at her. " Why honey? " Yuju gave him the sweetest smile he ever received. " I'm breaking up with you, " her sentence instantly froze his whole body and he could only gape and blankly stare at her. " She doesn't like jerks, " Eunha whispered to him and snickered as the both of them went out of the classroom, leaving the flabbergasted Kevin alone. 

 

-------------------------------

 

 She walked as fast as her short legs could. The faces that she saw in her class just now rang inside her mind with every breath she took. 

 

 ' Why? What did I do to deserve their hate? ' her footsteps stopped when a droplet of water fell on her face. She raised her face and faced the grey sky and closed her eyes. The roar of thunder filled her ears as she just embraced the heavy rain that fell. " Crazy girl, " someone muttered as he walked passed Taeyeon. Upon realizing her indeed a quite crazy action, she fluttered her eyes open and ran back toward her house with her head hung low.

 

 " Yah, don't touch that! What the you think you're doing? "

 

 Taeyeon jolted after a shout echoed throughout the small neighborhood. " Appa, " she muttered as her eyes widened at the sound of her mother's scream. There, in front of her small house, furniture, television, refrigerator and even the bed were thrown outside of the house. " Mom?! Dad?! " she hastily entered the house and stood in full shock when she saw a group of buff men was carrying their belongings outside. There, in the living room, she saw her parents desperately begging the mafia leader for another chance. She gritted her teeth at the pitiful sight of her parents on their knees. 

 

 Never in her life, she has ever seen her parents this weak, pathetic and desperate. 

 

 " Mom, dad, " she went by their side and hugged them. " Are you okay? " she muttered as she eyed the mafia leader in front of them. Her mother just nodded. ' Psh, right now she still wants to lie to me, ' Taeyeon thought. Her parents were obviously not alright. Begging on their knees, crying their eyes out. The most pathetic thing was all of those things were for the piece of trash in front of them. " You've been saying another chance for many times already! Just off! " he kicked Mr. Kim. Just by looking at the old man face infuriated the mafia leader. He grabbed him by his collar and smirked at the sight of his badly bruised face. 

 

 " Get out of my house and get money for me! "

 

 Another blow. 

 

------------------------------

 

 " Appa, why did you use grandma's money for gambling again? " his daughter sadly asked, disappointment clear on her face. " It's not like that Taeyeon-ah, it's just-..." Taeyeon sighed, knowing her father would blame the entire thing on the mafias, his friends and basically anyone that is not him. " Appa, please, you need to realize your responsibility toward your own family, toward mom, toward me, your only daughter. I'm only 15, what if I already reached the age 18? How do you want to stabilize your life with me going to college? " Taeyeon huffed as she glared at her guilty father. She has had enough of his bull of wasting their only hope to survive and blame other people for their ruined lives. 

 

 Silence engulfed the three people for a while. 

 

 " I have a friend at a tattoo shop, let's go there, "

 

 Mr. Kim said as he stood up and walked to their destination, without even waiting for his wife and daughter. Taeyeon sighed, finally feeling the guilt after she exploded toward her own father.

 

 After half an hour, they arrived at a secluded, small tattoo shop. Taeyeon gripped her mother's arm tightly, scared of the intense stare a heavily tattooed man was giving them. " Junghyuk-ah! " Mr. Kim called out someone's name and hugged him. " Long time no see bro. Why are you here? You want some tattoos? " Junghyuk laughed as he knew that the man in front of him was afraid of needles. " Nah, it's just can you help me this once? " he asked, confusing Junghyuk. " What? " Mr. Kim looked down as he felt the guiltiness inside. " Can we stay here for awhile? " Junghyuk furrowed his eyebrows and saw a woman and a girl behind Mr. Kim. He sighed, knowing something bad happened to them. " Of course, you're my best friend after all, " he patted his shoulder and a relieved smile broke into his face. 

 

 Taeyeon couldn't count how many time he thanked the man.

 

-------------------------------

 

 " Are you sure? I don't want to leave our daughter alone, " Mrs. Kim stated as she looked over at their own daughter who was sleeping soundly. " It's for her own good, " Mr. Kim said as he held his dearest wife's hand. She gave his idea a thought for a couple minutes before agreeing to whatever it is. " Okay, let's go, " they took their bags and went out of the store silently, not wanting Junghyuk to hear them or know that they did a stupid action. 

 

 The next morning, Junghyuk opened his store and cleaned his equipment silently with TVXQ ' Mirotic ' as his background music of the morning. Out of the blue, a scream could be heard and the sound of a girl crying echoed throughout the small store. Junghyuk jolted at first but then he realized, it was his ' best friend 's daughter. He sighed, realizing his mistake not stopping her parents from running away from herself.

 

 Yep, indeed, he saw the stupid decisions both Mr. Kim and Mrs. Kim made yesterday. Of course, he was about to explode when he saw them, but he pitied the girl and for him, he thought the little girl didn't deserve to have such parents that left her just because they were in a difficult state in life. So, he decided to take care of her for now. He thought it's for her own good that she lives her life without the 2 jackasses.

 

 The sound of heavy footsteps running down the staircases signaling that Taeyeon was running. Junghyuk steadily waited for her appearance and then saw a girl with her bed hair and tears strained face. ' Pity her, ' Junghyuk thought as he stopped her from moving any further. " I know what happened, just calm down for one second, " he said as the girl was sobbing hysterically. " Where's mom? Dad? " she asked as she tried hard to stop her tears from falling down. " I'll tell you when you calm down. From now on, you'll stay with me, okay? I won't let you go to that jackass you called father, " he muttered as he hugged the girl to comfort her. 

 

 " I bought you some breakfast, go eat first, "