Chapter 8

This Pendulum Life

Seon Mi rang up the last of her morning customer and handed the wrapped book along with a pleasant, "kamsahamnida, please come back again." She started tidying up, picking up misplaced books and placing them back on their proper shelves. Per usual Romie cat is plopped on the alcove of the window display looking as if he was sound asleep except for the occasional twitching of his ears and tail. 

A few days have passed since she and Ha Jun had shared that kiss. He should be coming by anytime soon, she thought. They've met up every now and then, most of the time he's taken to visiting her in the store, helping her with her inventories (by getting in her way), or pretending to read in one of the corner (but really distracting her). He was more likely to be staring at her than at the book he claimed to be interested in reading.  While she went about her work pretending not to notice (she has), she would occasionally forget and would look up to meet his eyes in the process. She has never blushed so much in her life this past few weeks; he has a way of making her thoughts awhirl and keeping her in a constant state of thrilled excitement. 

Some days he had taken to bringing his sketchbook, then his hand would be busy sketching, as if his gaze could be any less intense as it has been the way it's directed at her. She had walked over to him one time, curious about his work. And gasped at the various sketches he had already made. They were all still rough outlines, but she could see clearly how gifted an artist he truly is. There were various sketches of her: standing behind the register with head bent, hair softly framing her face;  another of just her hands as she held several books; one of just her lips slightly parted; and another just a faint sketch of her face, the drawing focusing on her eyes which stared back at her from the paper. He had a way of bringing such emotions into his work and though these were hardly complete, she could already feel the intimacy in them. She felt flattered, flushed, and all sorts of feelings she could not express seeing herself rendered so eloquently in paper by his hands. She could only whisper to him how beautifully these were done. "You are beautiful," his answer was just as quietly whispered, as he reached over to hold her hands tightly in his. 

Ha Jun had no qualms showing her his work. He saw how touched she was and it took every ounce of strength he had not to pull her down to his lap and kiss her. Instead he told her how he had finally ordered some clay to try and sculpt again. He asked if she would let him sculpt her likeness. She readily agreed, knowing this was an important step he has taken in moving forward in his healing. 

"What do I need to do?" she asked. He was still holding onto her hand, turning it this way and that, his hands tracing her fingertips, the shape of her fingers, her palms, down to her wrist.

"Nothing. I only need to touch your face to feel the contours." He told her, making her blush and bite her lips at the way he took a long lingering look at her face.

He was actually thinking of their first kiss, that evening when he took her home. He dropped her off, stuck at her doorstep unable to part from her. Until she finally asked if he would like to come up and have something to drink or eat. It was his turn to blush seeing how tired she must be from running around all day and yet still be so considerate of his feelings. He gave the top of her head a kiss, and ushered her inside after finally saying his goodnight. He turned and left abruptly, doing his best to behave appropriately when all he wanted was to kiss her some more, far more deeply, for far much longer than the first time. He welcomed the cool night walk back home to clear his head, and he only turned a few times to look back at her window to wave at her.

.

The door chime rang while she was crouched down putting books on the lower shelves. She looked up expecting Ha Jun, a ready reply of welcome on her lips. She was surprised to see Ji Woon instead. After Nam Sun's death, Ji Woon has kept in touch with her with an occasional text or call, even a visit every now and then if he happened to be around the city. It has been weeks since the jesa and she was surprised to see him again so soon. 

"Oppa, annyeong, I didn't expect you," she greeted him warmly, straightening up and smoothing her skirt with her hands. "I didn't know you will be in the city."

"I had to meet a client and decide to drop by. How are you Seon Mi?" Ji Woon leaned by the counter after handing her a paper bag he had in his hands.

She opened it up and exclaimed her thanks, seeing small wrapped sweets and desserts. "Oh you shouldn't have. Thank you." 

"I remember you and Nam Sun used to go the bakery near the university for these. I saw these in the bake shop next to the office and thought you might like some." He looked around her bookstore, lifting up a book to flip through its pages. "You probably bake these better," he shrugged.

"No, really thank you." Seon Mi knew he was referring to their college days, back when she and Nam Sun would hang out at a bake shop and sample and gush and critique the desserts. But what he didn't realize is that Nam Sun was very particular, and would always say hers would be a better version and would proceed to grill and encourage her to find out how she could improve the ones they were eating. It was all due to Nam Sun who pushed her to develop her skills, and was truly the best ally and support she could ever have.

She asked about Ji Woon's work and he started showing her pictures of the places he's been. His work as a real state agent takes him many places and he showed her some of the houses he is working on. Seon Mi was more interested at the sights than the houses themselves, and was nodding politely at some of the grander looking apartments being shown. They both looked up when the chime rang once more to see Ha Jun walking in.

If he was surprised to see them, he recovered quickly enough. He took in how they stood next to each other, heads bent over the photographs the guy was holding. But he didn't miss the sigh that escaped from Seon Mi either as she turned towards him with a smile, one that brightened her whole face. He couldn't help returning her sweet smile as he looked down at her now standing next to him.

She introduced them formally this time and Ha Jun recognized him as Nam Sun's brother. He managed to shook hands nicely enough, though exchanging grips with the other man's hand none too gently. He schooled his features to be more pleasant, more polite, just as he moved closer to Seon Mi and placed his hand to rest on the curve of her back. He saw Ji Woon's eyes follow this none too subtle move and met his eyes in answer defiantly. 

Seon Mi was clueless during this unspoken testosterone filled match, one where boundaries were implied and set and the gauntlet thrown down as a challenge. She was holding some pictures, telling Ha Jun about the scenes behind some of the buildings that caught her eye. But when neither men answered, she looked up, eyes travelling back and forth before the two men towering over her. They both had the grace to clear their throat simultaneously and return their attention to her. 

A few customers walked in to browse and Ji Woon begged off on her offer to join them for tea, much to Ha Jun's relief. When he finally bid them goodbye, Ha Jun offered to walk him out, while Seon Mi went to help her customers.

Both men stood outside briefly, hands in their pockets, posturing at each other. 

"Thank you for keeping an eye on her all these times. You don't have to worry now that she has me." Ha Jun said.

Ji Woon just raised a brow and glanced at him briefly. "What exactly are your intentions, Ha Jun-ssi?"

"Only the best. I should ask the same of you."

"She is family. She means a lot to me."

"Like a sister?" Ha Jun prompted.

Ji Woon did not answer.

"I didn't think so." Ha Jun said. "You should know she's already given her heart to me."

"I see. If you think that will stop me from being around, you're mistaken." Ji Woon turned to him, "If you can make her happy, I won't get in the way. We might even find each other tolerable."

"You seem like a decent guy; I might even like you," was his answering reply. He gave him a brief nod before Ji Woon walked away.

Ha Jun walked back inside the store. He would be hard pressed to say Ji Woon lingered in his mind even for a minute after seeing the way her face lit up once they were alone once more.

.

"We are getting off the next stop, Ha Jun," Seon Mi said. They were riding the crowded bus on their way to bring Mr. Do some meals per usual. Seon Mi is not one to break her routine even on such a busy day as this, with the bus filled with concert goers. The city park routinely holds outdoor concerts drawing crowds all over the place. She and Ha Jun were also planning on going, to watch and listen to local groups perform on stage. Even the threat of rain does not seem to dampen the draw of a free show, hence the packed bus full of people joining the festivities. Several times the bus lurched and jostled bumping them to each other, even almost causing Seon Mi to lose her balance and almost topple over at the lady seated across from her, until Ha Jun gave up all pretense and just held her securely in front of him, his arms holding her tightly against him while he rested his chin on top of her head. She hid her face on his chest after catching a few knowing looks from other passengers. But she didn't make a move to leave his arms, nor unwind hers that were around his waist as she held onto him as well. She quite enjoyed the warmth of his embrace and when she angled her face just so, she could hear the steady (fast) beat of his heart even over the light sweater he wore.

He helped her off the bus steps, using every excuse just to hold onto her hand. They walked the blocks to Mr. Do's apartment and talked about the first time he saw her here and how she shared the tangerines she purchased from the lady seller. They wound their way amongst the bustle of the crowd until they reached their destination. She rang the door bell to be greeted immediately by Mr. Do. 

"Ah thank you Seon Mi," he bowed to them both, his face registering surprise to see Ha Jun at her side to be followed by his grin, wide and pleased. He held onto the bulky backpack, opening it to look briefly inside. "It smells delicious."

"I packed quite a bit more than usual Mr. Do, in case you have company. There's also fresh kimchi and fruit salad," she said. "Oh, and I had extra batter for the cake I made the bakery so I made a smaller one for you."

"Seon Mi-yah, you are spoiling me. Thank you, my dear. This comes handy; Dae Suk is here actually to help me move some furniture."

"Do you need another pair of hands?" Ha Jun offered.

"Oh, I don't want to bother you two."

"It's no bother, right, Seon Mi?" He replied, just as Seon Mi said, "It's no bother, Mr. Do."

Mr. Do ushered both inside, apologizing for his small rooms and the crowded state of his home. He continued speaking until they reached the living room where Dae Suk was sitting on the sofa. He stood to bow at them when they entered.

Mr. Do was still talking, "...and I was saying to Dae Suk that I'll likely need to sell some of these other furniture; I really don't need them and my kids can't be bothered to take them. They say these are too old fashioned for their tastes. Such brats. Good furniture is good furniture. I've been hanging onto them just for sentimental reasons because my wife picked all these herself early in our marriage." He paused for breath.

"What furniture did you need help moving, Mr. Do?" Seon Mi asked. 

"There's an armoire in the bedroom. I found a seller who will pick it up in a few days. I was hoping to get it out the bedroom so they needn't go in there. It's a tight squeeze."

"I think between Dae Suk and I we will be able to do it, Seon Mi." Ha Jun said turning to her, "if you don't mind staying here."

"Yes," Dae Suk said, bowing to her, the tips of his ears reddening after she smiled at him.

Seon Mi went to the kitchen instead to put away the food she brought. She could hear the men in the other room, their huffs and grunts and the occasional noise of the furniture loud. She placed some of the food in the refrigetor, while the others she set on the table for Mr. Do and Dae Suk's dinner. Good thing I really made alot, she mused. He looks like he can eat, recalling how Dae Suk swallowed audibly when Mr. Do proudly showed him the food in the backpack.

Soon, she heard the men tromping back to the living room. She went to join them, standing out of their way. Dae Suk was holding onto one side of a heavy looking armoire while Ha Jun supported the other. 

"Set it over this corner, that's it. It's fine right there. It won't block the hallway," Mr. Do said. "That's good."

The boys set the furniture down with a thud. Ha Jun gave the younger man a friendly handshake and clapped him on the shoulder, both looking pleased at their manly efforts. It certainly helped that Seon Mi was effusive in her admiration at how well they did the job and gushed how strong they must be to lift such a heavy looking armoire. Mr. Do was likewise thankful for their help.

"Are you sure you kids don't want any tea?" he asked as he walked them out.

"Another time, Mr. Do, but thank you," Seon Mi said, "we are going to the park for the concert."

"Here, don't forget your umbrella. I hope it doesn't rain and you kids get to enjoy the show. Thank you again for helping and for dinner." He waved at them and gave Ha Jun a wink when Seon Mi wasn't looking.

.

The two walked to the park, their load now much lighter after dropping off the food.

"I'm glad Mr. Do and Dae Suk are getting along." Ha Jun observed.

"Yes. I didn't expect that they would bond; I'm glad they are. Ms. Choi had thought to pair up Mr. Do with Mun Yee and Mrs. Sung initially, but now, seems like he is opening up better with Mr. Do."

"And you? Who were you supposed to pair up with?" 

She shrugs, not quite catching his teasing,"we don't always divide up in smaller groups in every new class but people do gravitate toward a person or persons just for comfort." Then added, "Ms. Choi saw us talking after the first session and thought we might do well together on our session groupings, if the class still ends up getting people paired up. She thought we connected."

"Smart lady; no wonder I like her ," Ha Jun quipped, earning him a little shove from Seon Mi.

They followed the throng of crowd heading towards the open theater in the middle of the park lawn. Already music is blaring from the loud speakers and people were singing and dancing along with the rock band performing. The group was quite engaging, drawing the crowd into singing and clapping along with the beat, creating such a festive atmosphere.

Just as the band was finishing their 4th set, it started drizzling, a light misty rain which hardly put a damper in everyone's rocking spirits. Ha Jun and Seon Mi shared the umbrella as they continued to enjoy the concert, until finally the skies fully opened up, pouring down on the revellers; the band begged off and apologized to everyone for cutting the show short. The crowd dispersed, running off in various directions. Seon Mi and Jun Hwa rushed off, skipping and sliding into each other from the puddles on the ground, the sounds of their laughter ringing out just as resounding as the heavy rain falling around them. Seon Mi slid once more after stepping on a particularly slippery patch on the cobblestones, and only Ha Jun's tight grip on her hands kept her from falling outright. The umbrella fell from them briefly as he righted her up, the rain slowly drenching both of them as he kept her steady.

"Are you all right?" he asked, swinging the umbrella back over themselves.

"Yes," her voice breathless; her eyes had widened in her shock at her near fall. Her legs felt trembly, and he switched the grip from her hands to her waist to support her better. She looked up at him, noting how sodden his hair and his clothes have gotten because of her. She reached up to wipe the rain from his eyes, seeing how his beautiful long dark lashes were wet from the rain. Her fingers trail following the path the raindrops took down his cheek, down to his jaw, just like the slow caressing drops, until her hand finally rested on the curve of his neck. His eyes never left her face, drawn at the way she stared at him as she caressed his cheek, and seeing the way her lips parted as her eyes lingered on his mouth. He didn't hesitate this time, bending down to kiss her gently, until he felt her kiss him back. He turned to angle himself to fit her, kissing her the way he meant to kiss her the first time, capturing her lower lips fully and savoring her softness, her sweetness. All around them people continue on their way, their figures just a moving blur around them. They stood as if apart from everybody else, seemingly frozen in time, transported in their own dimension as they lost themselves in their kiss, oblivious to all but the sense of belonging in each other's arms.

.

.

Seon Mi was distracted all evening. The Friday session is almost over and he has not shown, worrying her to no end. She kept checking the door waiting any minute now for him to walk in until the session finally ended and he was still nowhere in sight. They didn't see each other yesterday, since he told her he had a couple of errands to do. His last text yesterday morning did not mention any new plans. She had called his phone several times but received no answer, so she went to Ms. Choi to beg off staying after and rushed over instead to his apartment in search for him. Though she's never been to his place before, she knew where to go; and there she stood knocking on his door loudly, worrying why she could not reach him, could not shake the feeling something was wrong. She heard the click of the lock turning and stood staring at him when he finaly opened the door.

She found him dishevelled, looking all different from his normal self. He didn't speak, but left the door open to let her in. He walked back inside to stand by the window, resting his head at the glass.

Seon Mi walked over to where he stood and touched his arms gently. Her eyes didn't miss the strewn papers on the floor, the bag of clay sitting in its box in the corner, the general air of disarray about in the room. 

He held himsfef stiffly, shoulders bowed, bent. His voice low, barely audible. "I just could not do it. I thought I was strong enough. I could not even look at the clay, not even lift it out of the damn box," he whispered. When the package arrived, he was quick to unwrap it, not anticipating the blow seeing the clay once he faced it. 

Ha Jun sat down and cradled his head, murmuring, "how foolish, how weak am I to think I'm better, that I'm alright.  All I could think about was the dirt on the ground that evening; the piles of dirt all around him as he lay there." His voice shook in his recollection as his tears fell and his shoulders quake in his misery. "How could I think I'm over it? It's my damn fault he's gone, all because of some worthless clay."

Seon Mi moved to stand in front of him and reached to hold onto his hands. Tears formed in her eyes as she knelt facing him, trying to find a way to soothe his wounded heart. She brought her arms to his shoulders drawing him to her, and he cried, finally letting this overwhelming grief he held onto all these years pour out of him. She murmured soft soothing noises as she rocked him for comfort. Her own tears falling down her cheeks as she shared this grief, this same feeling of loss, the hurtful emptiness that grips one's heart when the reality of this loss can no longer be denied. 

"Shhhhhh, Ha Jun, breathe..."

"I can't..." 

She lifted his face to wipe the tears from his cheeks. Her heart clenched to see the sorrow marring his face. His eyes still had that unfocused look of grief,eyes that still look inward; the maelstrom of despair still keeping him chained, unshaken in its grip. She needed to  recenter him, before he falls further into his despair. She kissed his forehead gently, staring into his eyes, until she saw his eyes finally focusing on her, finally seeing her.

"I'm here for you, Ha Jun. I'm here; just breathe..."

"Don't let me go..."

"I won't. Never."

And brought him safely back in her arms.

.

.

.