Chapter 10

This Pendulum Life

"You owe me, bro. C'mon." Ha Jae's voice coming across the phone is insistent, loud and wheedling. Ha Jun's been in the studio painting when his brother called. He has been wiping paint off his brush handles and the strong smell of turpentine permeates in the small room. He went to open the two bay windows in the attic to get the room aired out some more.

He and his brother have been living together comfortably as they go about their way carving a name for themselves out there in the world. Their careers have consistently progressed forward after both received their degrees. Ha Jae obtained a teaching position where he can share his love of music with budding artists, and he also has a bunch of friends he hangs out and performs with locally at various events. With Ha Jun, he received a sponsorship at a local gallery, allowing him to build a reputation as a serious artist; his showcase was greeted with plenty of positive feedback and he has done remarkably well in various showings since. And while he also held an adjunct professorship in Ha Jae's university, his time in between was mostly spent doing commissions for his artwork.

Living together has worked remarkably well for both young men and they shared this rental house comfortably. Ha Jun took over the attic as his studio, while Ha Jae took the basement for his music room. The arrangement worked out well for both, giving them the privacy to pursue their creativity without intruding on the other's space. As twins, they are so similar in aspects but have distinct quirks of their own. Ha Jae is outspoken, social, gregarious; Ha Jun is the quieter of the two, and a lot more introverted than his brother. Their parents used to say Ha Jun had no need to be vocal; his brother more than made up for it. Ha Jun was older by several minutes, and displayed the seriousness usually seen in the eldest sibling. Though they have obvious differences in personality, they share a deep bond, surpassing even more than what identical twins have.

"I'm busy, Jae, I have all these projects I needed to do." He told his brother, shifting the phone on his shoulders to free his hands up while he continued cleaning.

"You owe me. Remember that time you tossed my music sheets. C'mon. I'm asking a favor. You've been cooped up all this time anyway. You can come out tonight and get some air for a change."

"How many times am I gonna have to make up for that accident to you!" Ha Jun exclamined over the phone, shaking his head at his brother. "You used that same excuse so I would introduce you to my client's secretary, remember? You dated for a week before she left the country."

"You made it sound like I chased her away," Ha Jae said. He was in his office in the university and just finished a class; his afternoon staff meeting got cancelled when everybody ran off to enjoy the rest of the beautiful Friday afternoon. "I will have you know she almost stayed in Korea for me."

He went on and sat in the chair and propped his foot up on his cluttered desk. "Seriously, bro, Chaya is bringing a friend of hers and I need you there. Please? She told me her friend is really nice and want to meet other people.”

Ha Jun breathed a sigh of surrender; he could be just as stubborn as Ha Jae when he puts his mind to it. But he is feeling cooped up and he did finish a painting already; he could use a night out and about.

“Fine, fine. This better not be another one of those disaster blind dates. You’ve shoved a bunch of crazy girls at me, more than what I can count on my hand.”

On the other side of the phone, Ha Jae laughed. “Don’t worry; Chaya said her friend is pretty.”

“Hmmph. The last one was ‘pretty’ too you said. Pretty crazy."

"Ha ha ha, really how was I supposed to know the girl was another level of crazy? I didn't know she was on a rebound and looking to get married right there and then."

"Jae, I'm seriously questioning your taste in women."

"Aish! Don't be like that! My taste has never been the issue. It's my girlfriend's that's the problem....wait that didn't come out right either."

Ha Jun's gales of laughter can be heard echoing loudly in his studio, just as Ha Jae tried to interrupt him.

"But really, hyung, I got your back. I'm your wing man, you know that, right? You just haven't been making any moves on anyone."

"What are you talking about? I've dated Ji Reum for a while."

"You just dated her for a week! Then she broke it off because you're too oblivious." Ha Jae shook his head at his brother, as if he was in the room with him and not on the phone. "My point is, yes, you dated, but that's through a fix up again with a girlfriend's friend. If I don't drag you and fix you up, you aren't out there dating. I know you like the same types of girls I like, so I don't get why you aren't going out more. It's not like you're lacking; shoot, man, I'm turning them down left and right." He said, baiting his brother shamelessly, "Well, I am more handsome than you, I grant you that."

"Jae," Ha Jun just chuckled at his brother's nonsense. He had gone downstairs to his bedroom, shedding his clothes as he got ready to take a shower. "I really don't like dating around. If I meet the one I like, you'll be the first to know. Because it will be different and I won't let her go."

"I can't wait for that. That's a headline right there: the calm and collected Ha Jun, the unattainable top bachelor, finally fell madly in love, turned around over and under on his feet by some lucky girl. I will pay good money to see that, hyung." 

"You're an idiot, Jae. Don't you worry about me, I'll find her soon enough; if not, she'll find me."

.

 

"There you are. I finally found you,"  Seon Mi exclaimed seeing Ha Jun walk into the room. He passed by Ms. Choi's office, bowing to the lady who was busy on the phone. "I was looking all over for you. I thought you'd be here already." Seon Mi set aside the snacks she was arranging in bags on the table and rushed over to Ha Jun.

"I'm not late, am I?" He asked, reaching for Seon Mi's hand in greeting and kissing her fingers, her wrists. He looked around to see if anybody else was around before dropping a quick kiss on her lips too.

"Ha Jun!" She chided, "no you're not late, but everyone should be coming soon."

They are meeting here in the building for a group excursion. During the last session, Ms. Choi had broached the subject of doing a group activity and invited everybody to participate. 

"I think this will be a good exercise to do. It will let us take a step outside our created walls and take a much needed breather. I promise you will enjoy it, so please come." Ms. Choi had said.

Everyone murmured in agreement though some slightly hesistant in committing. Ms. Choi spoke more about slowly venturing out of one's comfort zone. "It will be something we can all participate in. We will go to the animal shelter in Namyangju. There we will spend time with the animals and help out for a few hours." The group agreed to meet the next day, providing the weather is good and take the bus together to Namyangju. Ms. Choi was able to get the church bus to transport them all together. 

Ha Jun walked over to the table where Seon Mi was busy setting up. "What can I do to help? I could've met you much sooner if you told me you could use a hand." He said, because Seon Mi declined his offer earlier when he broached the subject of picking her up, saying Ms. Choi needed her in the center and just asked Ha Jun to meet her there. 

"I'm just fixing the bag lunches and snacks for everybody for our trip. It's almost done; I just needed the case of water bottles placed in the cooler, if you don't mind Ha Jun. I couldn't lift it."

They worked comfortably together, chatting while they fixed the bags for everybody. Soon the rest of the members started showing up. Mr. and Mrs. Gim arrived carrying some gyeongdan (sticky rice ball cakes). Mrs. Gim went over to Seon Mi and the two started talking about cakes and desserts. Ha Jun and Mr. Gim started filling the cooler with ice and water bottles. Mr. Do arrived with Dae Suk followed by Mun Yee and Mrs Sung trailing right behind them. Dae Suk is carrying the sodas brought by Mun Yee and her grandmother, and joined the men in placing the drinks in the cooler. The ladies soon gathered around the table chatting, looking at the various snacks and treats prepared. Mun Yee added the bunggeoppang she and Mrs. Sung made to the pile of food they're bringing.

Mrs. Choi came and joined the group, greeting everyone until the driver came in to let Ms. Choi know the bus is ready for them. Soon they loaded up the cooler in the bus and everyone filed in carrying the lunch bags and treats. 

Ms. Choi introduced the driver commissioned by the church next door who will drive them to Namyangju. Mr. Tak bowed to everyone and the group was soon on their way.

"I want to tell you more about this shelter we're visiting. This place is ran by a lady and is not associated with any major shelters. Because of this, she needs a lot of help to continue running the place. She takes in strays and funds the care of them herself, and relies mainly on donations and volunteers to maintain its upkeep. Right now, she has about 100+ animals, both dogs and cats. Some she has successfully found new homes for but there are always new ones being brought over."

She turned in her seat to better face the rest of the group seated behind her. "Mrs. Kang Kyung Hee is our contact person; she's the head assistant of the shelter owner and will meet us there. We will help walk the dogs and feed the animals. We are fortunate that another group ahead of us did the cleaning services around the compound, so we can focus on caring for and socializing with the animals themselves."

The ride is just an hour and a half away and is going smoothly. Ha Jun sat with Seon Mi in the back. When they boarded, he was being very sneaky, waiting to see where everybody sat and then taking Seon Mi with him to sit in the seats furtherest from everybody. She had blushed, not missing some of the glances thrown their way, since Ha Jun was hardly being discreet, holding her hand in view for all to see. But she didn't let go of his hand either, shy as she was feeling in this public display. 

They sat together in the back, looking out the window as the countryside flashed by them. He held her hand with both of his, every now and then bringing it up to graze his lips. She had to murmur to him about such displays but he only smiled at her, bringing her arm closer and tighter to him without saying anything, and looked at her with such intensity she was afraid he would try and kiss her instead. She sighed inwardly, feeling the butterflies fluttering in her stomach again, always when he is around her. I've gone crazy, she thought, I've gone soft in the head. But she managed to stop him from putting his arm around her shoulder once they were seated. That should count for something, at least, as she thought herself weak when it comes to him, wishing herself more resolute and less of a putty in his hands. At that thought, she blushed anew as images came unbidden in her mind, of one of their moments together.

Ha Jun wanted to draw her, to sculpt her likeness, until his breakdown put a halt on his plan. And though he is slowly moving forward as days passed, he still carries the trauma, associating the clay with his guilt of his brother's death. They made some progress though; when Seon Mi helped him clean up his studio, she had tried lifting the heavy box of clay mixture and ended up spilling some on the floor. Ha Jun unthinking helped her sweep up the clay on the floor, lifting the bag out of the box to set it in corner, and chided her for even trying to lift it when she knew it was such a heavy load. He hardly realized he had lifted the bag out of the box, touched the clay mixture itself, until he set the bag down and turned to her with wide eyes. She came to him then and hugged him as he breathed rapidly, when he finally realized what happened. Seon Mi stood on tiptoes just to reach him, bringing him down to her until their foreheads touched, his nape, his ears. She needed no words; he knew she was doing this to calm him, to center him to herself. His pulse so loud in his ears, his hands shook as he brought his arms around her waist, as if anchoring himself to her, welcoming the support she offers until he could bring himself back to the here and now. 

She held him, supporting him, murmuring his name softly until she could see his eyes lose their glaze and finally focus on hers. Then she knew she won this battle with him against his guilt, this battle against his internal demons, wrenching him off their grasp to bring him back to her. She kissed him gently, barely grazing his lips until he took charge and captured her lips for searing kiss. Soon the pulse beating like a drum in their ears was brought on by something else altogether. His eyes, his lips took her with as much hunger as she never thought possible, making her gasp as he pulled her closer, flushed to him, all heat and flames and sparks of electric current coursing through her veins. She clung to his shoulders, helpless, marrows all liquid fire; she felt like she is falling and held upright only by the strength of his arms. 

.

She was jolted out of her reverie, when the bus lurched to make a turn; barely hearing Ms. Choi saying they'll be arriving in just a few more minutes at the shelter. Her cheeks felt aflamed, and Ha Jun looked at her worriedly, asking if she was alright. She took the water bottle from his hands, welcoming the cold as she took several gulps to cool herself. 

"Are you all right, Seon Mi? Do you need more air?"

"I-I'm fine," she stammered. "I just felt a little overheated," then blushing anew, unable to meet his eyes. Ha Jun fiddled with the a/c controls to give her more air, then handing her another water bottle. "Here this is much cooler, drink this instead."

"I'm ok Ha Jun. I'm fine." 

Ms. Choi interrupted by announcing they've arrived. Everyone stood and stretched, their voices excited to see the animals. They filed out the bus and stood while Ms. Choi went to greet Mrs. Kang. She introduced the group and bowed to the lady after being welcomed. 

Mrs. Kang gave them a brief history of the place, about the shelter owner's passion for unwanted, abandoned animals. Some she successfully placed in loving homes; yet no matter how many she rehomes, there are always more, more animals arriving needing shelter, needing care. Some of these animals were too sickly, and she had no recourse but to move them to a registered medical shelter, as these would be beyond her scope or means to handle. 

Mrs. Kang showed them around the compound, sharing how through the kindness of the human heart, they are able to continue providing care to the many animals they have. The compound is fully fenced in with metal wires, and the yard dotted with multiple various large enclosures to keep the animals contained. The enclosures have various open wooden crates that serve as dog houses for the animals out in the open, a shelter from the sun and rain. Mrs Kang explained during winter or harsher weather, the animals are moved to the barn where there is heat or air, and is dry.

The group saw different types and breeds of dogs, all of varying sizes. The din of their barking punctuates the conversation all around. Walking further, Mrs. Kang showed them the other side of the compound where the cats were housed; there, the barks were soon replaced by the insistent miaows all over. She opened the gate and let everybody in. Seon Mi could not help her "oohs" and "ahhs" as various cats came running, winding their way around their ankles. She stooped to pick one of the smaller grey kitten that looked up at her all eyes and fur it seems. It miaowed softly at her showing sharp little teeth and claws, and she nuzzled its soft fur to her, feeling it purr against her cheek.

Ha Jun stared at her, the adoration in his eyes there for all to see. Seon Mi is a vision even amongst the cluttered shelter they're in; in his eyes she glowed, making everything beautiful around her just because she is in it. The sunlight flashed and caught the faint highlights in her hair, giving her beauty an ethereal quality. He moved to pet the little cat in her hands, and he was rewarded by her smile so sweet,   he felt the squeeze of it in his heart. 

"What am I to do Ha Jun? I want to take all of them home," she sighed, finally setting the cat back down when she saw Ms. Choi ahead gesture at them to catch up as the group rounded a corner.

"I don't think Romie cat will be too pleased with a bunch of new cat siblings." 

"I want to bring another cat home for him as company. You think he'll really mind?" 

Ha Jun shrugged, "maybe just in the beginning. Just don't take home a bunch all at one time." He stopped in his tracks to turn on her. "Are you feeling ok now, Seon Mi?" He asked her worriedly, giving her cheek a soft caress.

"Oh, uh, yeah, I'm fine. I was just, uhm, I'm ok." She mumbled, embarrassed. Ha Jun would not desist however and waited more from her.

"It's nothing, Ha Jun. Come, they'll wonder where we are." She moved to pass him but was hardly able to take a step when his arm held her in place. 

He peered at her, eyes roaming her face, lingering on her lips, until she breathed out his name. 

"For a second there in the bus, I thought you were feeling sick and I was worried. But I realize now you looked the same way you do each time after I kissed you," he whispered softly, his hands stealing their way back up to cup her neck, his thumb ghosting her lips, as they parted at his caress. 

She is left speechless, and she knew she wasn't the only one affected by this strange undercurrent they seem to find themselves in constantly. She could see the change in the way he looked at her, this charged look he has in his eyes, the way his breathing deepened, his throat moving, in the audible way he gulped at he stared at her.

"Ha Jun--"

"Come home with me tonight, Seon Mi." 

"Ha Jun..."

...

"Ha Jun-ssi, Seon Mi-ssi, come on, we're going to start." They both stepped apart and turned to Mr. Gim who hollered at them across the yard. "We're going to start feeding the animals now."

"We're coming, Mr. Gim." She spared a glance at Ha Jun, looking all out of sorts, standing there as if he were holding his heart out in his hands...just waiting for her.

She took his hand and walked briskly to join the others.

"Seon Mi..."

.

"Yes."

.

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Disclaimer: sorry late addition:

Namyangju Shelter is a real shelter in Korea; however the persons and descriptions associated with it are fully a figment of my imagination. The animals are truly cared for by a lady funding this shelter privately and do rely on the volunteers and donations to maintain its upkeep.

 

many thanks again for icemaiden21's edit.