Last Christmas (Jinhoo)

Up10tion Oneshots and Scenarios

Genre: Fluff

Word Count: 3,557 (it’s not as long of a read as the word count makes it out to be and this may be one of my favorite scenarios, aside from Sunny Days and The Boy Made of Ice)

A/N: I took this from Hwanhee and Sunyoul’s cover of Last Christmas (which by the way has made me so damn happy and soft, like someone explain that to me)

 - Admin Ania


Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day, you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears, I’ll give it to someone special

I have ten wonderful friends and every year I go over to their place to spend the holidays with them. Christmas happens to be our favorite holiday so we go all out for each other. There’s singing, dancing, games, decorating the tree, and present exchanges. My favorite part of the night is getting to perform in front of each other. We each pick a song that sums up how we've been feeling this year and what was want for the next year. 

For the last ten years we’ve been doing this and every years it somehow gets better than the one before. However, there was a year that I didn’t spend Christmas with them and that I will never forget. Even though I remember what happened as if it was yesterday, they made the pain duller and my life with them has changed for the better. Especially with Jinhoo, he is a big reason why I’m as happy as I am now and have the confidence I do. 

It all started two years ago during the first week of March when I met him. His name was Han and at the time I met him, he was my world. The way we met might seem strange, I assure you it was now that I think about it, but at the time we didn’t know the difference. It was during a performance I had with my dance team, we were prepping to go on stage for one last dance before the judges would determine which team would go further. 

Han saw me leading my team through the motions of our routine and I guess the intense focus I had made him curious about who the hell I was. Once we ran through the steps, with no mistakes mind you, I nodded my head at my team (who are my friends) and told them to get water and rest up. That was when he approached me, walking up behind me calmly then cleared his throat to make his presence known to me. Turning my head slightly I decided that I should talk to him, for what reason I still don’t know, the suddenly realized how tall he was compared to me.

“Excuse me, I couldn’t help but notice your team. They’re very well prepared for their turn.”

That threw me off really, I could get the sense that he thought I was their choreographer and had decided to try and get some info out of me. A small chuckled escaped my lips, bringing a bottle of water to them to take a drink before turning back to the boy in front of me. I could see in his eyes that he was slightly confused as to why I thought his comment was funny.

“I’m not the choreographer, if that’s what you’re inferring but it’s a very flattering comment. I’m the team captain, it’s my job to make sure we have impeccable chemistry with each other and trust our bodies in the hands of others.”

Han smiled down at me before holding out his hand and then I knew; he’s the captain of our rival team. I now it seems rude and petty, which it really is, but I didn’t want to shake his hand at the time. Being a person from the opposite time and one of our biggest challengers, I didn’t want to actually talk to him in the first place. I had no idea but I found myself in that situation so I had to go with it.

“I’m Han, leader of TK. If you’re the team captain then you must be Y/N, am I right?”

“You’re not wrong. Now, please leave. My team and I need to discuss somethings.”

And that’s how we first met each other, formally at least since we both knew of the other but never got a face to put to the names. During the first couple of times I saw him I had to admit he was a rather good looking guy. On stage he was so focused and showed his talent well. Off stage he was a ball of energy and joy, always wanting to make someone’s day better. If any of his teammates was having a bad day he would pull them aside to talk it out with them, if they wanted. 

For a few weeks he would come by our studio to talk to me, saying he wanted to get to know me and things like that. I agreed to talk and get to know him as a person rather than someone who's competition. However, it was also during this time that my friends used to come by constantly to watched us practice and cheer us on. They’re the more experienced ones so I’ll often go to them for advise on how to be a better leader or how I should transition from one move to another. 

Out of all ten of them, my very best friend in the group is Jinhoo. I couldn’t have asked for a better friend, or what felt like a brother to me. When Han entered the picture he and the others started to wonder what was going on with me. My attitude started to change around them and I wouldn’t talk to them when they came to see my practices with my team. While none of them blamed me for my change, looking back on it now I kind of wish they had because maybe then I would have noticed sooner. 

Han and I started to date after a month, and then we began a couple. Our teams weren’t very happy about the situation but they didn’t bring it up because we’re the best leaders in the country. The companies we were hired under didn’t want to fire us for being together either for the very same reason. Rehiring would take too much time that we didn’t have so they let us be, as long as we didn’t show it during competitions. 

Around Thanksgiving Han started to change whenever I was with him. He wouldn’t be as talkative as he used to be and he would often look at his phone texting, who I thought at the time was his friends. During this time I tried not to think about it too much since I still had to bring my team to regionals, and hopefully beyond that year. For a few weeks I didn’t see him because we were both busy trying to prep our teams. I was fine with not seeing him, since I had Jinhoo and the others by my side to help us out. 

December 24th, yes Christmas Eve, was the day of nationals and my team and I couldn’t have been more excited to show what we prepared. Kuhn, Kogyeol, Bitto, and Jinhoo came backstage with me to run through the dance one more time with the team while the others took their seats. While we practiced Han watched from the sidelines like he normally did and when we finished I went to hug him since it had been almost a month from the last time I saw him in person. Even though he smiled down at me, it was empty and I couldn’t tell why. 

“You did great as usual. I’m so proud of you. No matter the outcome I can’t wait to have to stay over tonight for Christmas.”

He gave me another hug, kissed my forehead, then went back to make sure that his team was still running through the routine. If I had been paying attention at the time, I would have seen Kuhn, Kogyeol, Bitto, and Jinhoo grimace at his comment about my dancing. If I had been paying attention I would have noticed that they were talking about how Han really wasn’t someone I should be with. If I had been paying attention I wouldn’t noticed the pain in Jinhoo’s eyes when Han kissed my forehead. 

I went back to them and thanked them for helping us out with the dance and told them to go get their seats before the contest began. Each of them gave me a hug for good luck or ruffled my hair, only Jinhoo smiled and walked away. This was even stranger for me because he never just smiled and walked away from me before. I had to shake it off though, my group would be going on in about five minutes. The second we set foot on that stage the crowd practically got out of their seats and ran to the stage. We greeted them and the judges before getting into our formation, then the lights went out. 

The end result of the contest was that my team won first place and we got to move on to the next level. As soon as we were free I ran to find Han, I knew he really wanted to bring his team to nationals. When I found him he was surrounded by his friends as they all looked down at what appeared to be his phone. I didn’t really get why they were making such a commotion about whatever was on his phone, so I ran up to him. His friends cleared a path for me as I landed in his lap with my arms circled around his neck. It took him a moment to realize that it was me but once he figured it out he hugged me back. 

“I saw you out there and you did wonderfully as per usual. Though I’m a bit sad I won’t be moving onto the finals with you.”

We talked for awhile before walking back to where my team had put our things so he and I could head back to his place for Christmas. I told him to wait outside for me, I’d be out in a few minutes, so he stayed in the hallway. My bag had somehow gotten moved in the commotion of my team and I trying to get on stage while the managers were trying to collect their people together. Eventually I found it behind the couch and checked one more time to make sure I had everything with me that I needed. When I came out of the room I saw Han with my friends, who all seemed to be putting him under fire for something or other. Casually I walked over to give him a kiss on the cheek, then turned to my friends to address them. 

“Y/N, you really can't come over for Christmas like usual?”

“Not this year Hwanhee, but there will be other years that I come over.”

He pouted at me ever so cutely while the rest of the guys stood there looking rather downcast. I shook my head at their silliness then went around to hug each other them before leaving with Han. I came to Jinhoo last, and somehow his face seemed the most upset out of all of them. When he hugged me, there was a different feeling to it, he acted as if I was leaving them forever. 

“Please don’t go.”

“I have to...”

We whispered to each other as I pulled away then headed off with Han. If I had turned back I would have seen the boys stare at me with worried faces, especially that of Jinhoo. His face was the saddest of all of them, but I wasn’t smart enough to know why at the time. The second Han and I were out of sight he began to tear up, so the others had to quickly shepherd him out of the building and back home. A few of them supported Jinhoo on the way to the car seeing as his body was having a rather bad reaction to me leaving. Once he was in Xiao glanced up at the older, placing a hand gently on the others. 

“It’s okay hyung, it’ll be okay...”

“I hope to God you’re right Xiao...”

The drive to Hans place was quiet as we were both extremely tired from performing just a few minutes ago. I settled into the comfort of his car to take a nap since he lived two hours away from the venue. From the corner of my eyes, just as I dozed off, I could see him smile but it wasn’t for me. Though I couldn’t think about it as I drifted off to sleep, which wasn’t that peaceful in the end. I didn’t really sleep through the car ride because Han kept talking, to who I didn’t know but I wanted him to shut up so I could sleep. 

Even when we got to his house, things didn’t change between us as we headed in together. I went upstairs to put my things in his room while he went to set up the living room for movies and snacks. Han’s room isn’t extremely big, nor is the house itself, but it’s comfortable to live in. I quickly changed into more comfortable clothing then headed back downstairs. About half way down I heard his voice coming from the kitchen, I figured that he was talking to one of his friends. However, I was incredibly wrong, as I got closer I heard a sort of sweetness to his tone of voice that he definitely doesn’t use with his friends. 

“Yeah, no I promise that we will have tomorrow evening together. I can’t just kick her out, we agreed to spend Christmas together three weeks ago.”

“I know I promised to spend time with you but I haven’t told her yet.”

“Tiffany I will not do this to her on Christmas Eve.”

There was my answer: plain as daylight, Han was cheating on me with the Tiffany. She’s on my team and was initially supposed to be the captain but didn’t make the final cut and I took her place. I guess she was angry that I took that position from her, even though we’re friends (or so I thought), so she wanted to take Han. Tiffany isn’t the jealous type so it surprised me to realize that they were going behind my back. Though I didn’t want to hear anymore because I heard everything I needed to. I quietly made my way back upstairs and shut the door to his room. I threw on my favorite hoodie, which happened to be Jinhoo’s grey one but he said I could keep it, grabbed my bag then headed for the window.

Han’s house may be two stories but he has an escape ladder running down the side of it. I opened the window then crawled out into the cold night. Once I was a few blocks away, I pulled out my phone to call the one person I knew who would help me no matter what: Jinhoo. When he picked up the phone I started to explain, but then I snapped and started crying so hard I could hardly breath. He tried to calm me down, but that clearly wasn’t working out too well, so he told me to stay where I was. 

“Kuhn and Kogyeol are on their way right now. Wait by the bus stop and you’ll see them in a few minutes. Y/N... Please come back to me safely...”

Then he hung up and I was left in silence. A strong gust of cold air smacked me in the face as I walked to the bus stop, where upon arrival I saw no one which was a good thing. The bench felt like ice even through my sweat pants I could tell that it was only going to get worse. My cheeks were tear stained, I could tell easily and it was only made more clear when Kogyeol and Kuhn pulled up in a black car. Concern was written all over their faces as Kogyeol got me into the car and Kuhn threw my bag in the trunk. We were off in two minutes flat and from the rearview mirror, I could’ve sworn I saw Han watching us in slight horror. Though I couldn’t have cared what he thought then because he hurt me and what was worse is that he was my first boyfriend. 

We got back to the dorm quickly, during which time I had fallen asleep so Kuhn had to carry me inside while Kogyeol grabbed my bag from the car. I don’t know what time I woke up at, but when I finally did I saw the guys all asleep on the furniture and floor. Then it occurred to me: my head isn’t on a cushion, so what am I lying on? I glanced up and noticed that it was Jinhoo, he too was fast asleep and breathing calmly. Seeing him like this was strange for me; he looked so sweet and angelic. My hand reached out to touch his cheek, which resulted in him waking up almost immediately. Once his eyes landed on me I could see the full extent of his sadness but also sorrow for me. 

“So you found out...”

“Y-yeah... I did.”

“I’m sorry we didn’t tell you, but we had to let you find out on your own...”

“It’s alright.”

I wrapped my arms around his waist and took a deep breath in, in an attempt to calm myself down from everything that had just happened. Jinhoo shifted in his place slightly so that my head would be on his chest instead of on his lap. He brought me close to him and that’s how we stayed for a good twenty minutes. After that he made a confession that I wasn’t really prepared for. 

“I know you just got your heart broken, but so have I. Some times it really hurts to be around you because I know that you don’t feel the same way about me. After today though... I can’t keep it in anymore. Y/N, I love you. I love you so so much but I never said anything because you wanted him. Being selfish wasn’t an option for me because I knew you wouldn’t be happy. Seeing you upset, is the worst thing in the world.”

“Jinhoo?”

“This is my confession to you: I love you so much that it kills me everyday on the inside. It hurts to not be free to express how I feel. Two years ago, when you and I went out into the snow, I knew then that I loved you. If you will have me then that would make my Christmas infinitely better. If you accept me then I will never hurt you the way he did. If you accept me...it must be because you feel an affection towards me that’s more than just friendship.”

Back then, I didn’t immediately know what to say to him since the news was so sudden. Yet something in me knew that he would in fact love me, for every fiber of my being and every spark of passion. Today, it’ll be a year since I broke up with Han and dated Jinhoo. Today, it’s once again Christmas Eve but this year I’m spending it with my boyfriend and my best friends. While I don’t fully know what the future holds for me with them, I know that it’s better than what Han had to offer me. 

“Y/N, come on. We’re about to open a few gifts!”

Wei calls out to me from down the hall since he’s almost always too lazy to get up and tell me. As I head out of the bedroom I share with Jinhoo, I feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I take it out and there, in black and white, is Han’s name on the screen. I decide to open his message to me, I’ve long since gotten over him so I have no care about what he has to say. 

‘Y/N, it’s been a year now but I want you to know that I’m still so sorry about what I did to you... You didn’t deserve that... I know it’s a long shot, but would you take me back?’

I message him back quickly and stuff my phone deep down in my pocket as I walk into the living room. I’m greeted by everyone with hugs and smiles all around. My favorite greeting is always from Jinhoo; he kisses my forehead, then my cheeks, and finally my lips. His kisses are soft like kashmir and gentle like as a summer breeze. He is my favorite person on this earth, because he is my world and I am his.

My message to Han read as follows:

I can’t take you back, nor will I accept any kind of apology from you. It’s clear that you and I are not a match and you took my trust along with part of my team. Last Christmas I gave you my heart but the very next day you gave it away. This year I saved myself from tears, because I found someone special. You should find someone too.

“Y/N, look up.”

I’m drawn back to reality by the sweet sound of Jinhoo’s voice. He’s pointing to the mistletoe above us and I blush profusely. 

“Can I kiss you?”

“Do you really need to ask?”