Danica

Senior Romance at its Best

Danica

 

The bell rang and we had our break time. I waited for Hyuna to finish brushing her hair before the both of us sped off to the cafeteria.

“You’re mad,” Hyuna blurted.

“No,” I faced her. “You’re mad.”

“It’s because you lied!” she placed a hand on her hip. “You obviously still like you-know-who.”

“And so do you,” I argued. “Plus, what does you-know-who have to do with our lives anyways? Can’t we just like him for fun and not argue?” I said. “It’s not like he’ll have to choose between us. Besides, I doubt he’ll notice me or you.”

I glanced at her after the last comment. She looked upset. I guess I did offend her for doubting that he’d notice her. Did I just ruin her self-esteem? Or did she think that I belittled her?

She stayed silent for a while. She had her lips pressed together in a firm line. She had on her poker face. I couldn’t simple read her thoughts.

“I’m sorry—“ “I didn’t mean to—“ we blurted simultaneously.

“Okay,” I sighed, “you first.”

“I’m sorry,” she whispered and I honestly didn’t know whether she was sincere or not. The words seem forced out of . As if she just said it for the sake of apologizing.

“You’re sorry?” I raised a brow. “For what?”

“The paper.”

Oh,” I blinked. “It’s alright I—“

“Just pretend that I never handed you that,” she blurted. “Or better yet, pretend like it was just some kind of joke.”

I nodded. “I’m,” I began. “I’m sorry too.”

She glanced at me, one eye brow raised.

 

**

Hyuna and I finished eating lunch earlier than expected. The two of us were seated on the same table face to face. She was inspecting her perfectly polished nails, while I was doing my best to avoid every girl who were glancing and glaring at me.

Before I could plead her to go away from the cafeteria with me, she blurted: “You know, you’re getting pretty famous now. In our batch, I mean.” She glanced at me and raised a brow. “Is there something you want to tell me?”

“Well yeah,” I said. “Can we leave now? I’m feeling more and more restless. I can feel every girl throwing daggers at me.”

“It’s your fault for hitting on Kingkong.”

“It’s Gikwang,” I crossed my arms.

“Ugh,” she grimaced. “You already care about him? And here I was thinking that I should just let an opportunity with Dongwoon pass! Danica,” she placed a hand over her chest, “as a friend, I care about you. And it should go the same for you.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” she began, “as friends, we should care about each other; you should care for me. And if you do…you should let me have Dongwoon if you’re just going to hang-out with that Kingkwang—whatever his name is—guy.”

“You know,” I stood up from my seat. “You can be so selfish at times.”

“And you’re not?” she rose up from her sit too.

“Well,” I placed a hand on my hip, “one thing’s for sure. I’m not as selfish asyou.” I poked her hard and she whimpered an over-acting, “ow!”

I felt everyone’s eyes on us and I lowered my head in embarrassment.

 “I’m sorry,” I told her, “but I’m tired of our continuous fights. I’m not even sure if we’re meant to be friends. I don’t think that. At least not anymore.” Then I ran.

 

 

I kept walking and walking and walking until I was out of sight—until I was finally away from the cafeteria, the students and Hyuna.

All the paces I have made led me to the open area of campus. It was wide and it looked like a golf course. I felt serene for a while until I heard my name. “Danica?”

I glanced over my shoulder and saw Hyuna. The sight of her made me roll my eyes. She was pacing fast just so she could get near me.

“Danica!” she hissed. “Danica!!”

I sighed. I just ignored her and let her call my name.

Whatever, I thought. I don’t care about her anymore.

I continued pacing as fast as I could, until I can get as far from her as possible. Thinking about it now, I’ve never fought with her before. No way, not like this.

As I continued running away, I reached the campus’ waiting area. It’s where the rich students hang-out whenever they wait for their limousines—or drivers. It was a decent place for hanging-out—that is if you like those places that looked like sophisticated bus-stops.

Seeing her out of sight, I let myself rest for a while. I was still in the midst of catching my breath when someone grabbed my shoulder. My eyes widened.

“How dare you let me chase after you with heels?!” she exclaimed—losing her breath.

I jerked my shoulder away from her. “Whatever,” I rolled my eyes. “I never asked you to chase me.”

She stared at me in disbelief.

“Look Danica,” she grits her teeth. “I don’t know why, but can’t we just stop this?! I mean, it’s not my fault he—“

Oh! Believe me!” I snapped. “It’s your fault!”

Then she slapped me. Hard.

I cupped a hand over my sore cheek and glared at her. “I can’t believe I was ever friends with someone like you!” I spat.

“You’re just jealous of me,” she put a hand on her hip.

“Excuse me?!”

“Like I said,” she smirked. “It’s not my fault he might actually notice me.”

“Tsk!” I ruffled my hair in frustration. “I can’t believe you! Don’t you ever get too fed up with yourself?!”

“It’s not my fault guys think I’m hotter than you!”

“Look Hyuna,” I poked her. “I don’t care about guys, and I hate to be the center of attention. We’re different. So bragging about the stupid things you’ve ‘accomplished’ would make me not even one bit envious, arasso?” I smirked. “Plus, I’m not the kind of that loses her ity to some guy who isn’t my type.”