Danica

Senior Romance at its Best

 

Danica

 

I feel so transparent. Especially because of what Gikwang has said. I mean, how could someone with no knowledge about me see right through me?

 All these years, I have been trying to escape the past that has been haunting me. All these time, I’ve been doing everything to just get rid of all those memories; and just to let you know, I thought that I was doing pretty well—but that was until he came and said the things I didn’t want to hear the most:

“I don’t get why you’re trying to get away from all the attention you deserve.”

**

I was silent in my seat. I found it really awkward to sit beside him.

Ever since earlier, I’ve been catching girls glancing at me and whispering. Some were grimacing my way, rolling their eyes, smirking, and even glaring.

I didn’t do anything wrong, I wanted to tell them. More than anything, I knew that they were starting to treat me badly because they think I’ve gotten the attention of a new cute guy student. Well, they’re wrong. They can have Gikwang. I want nothing to do with him.

After what seemed like a lifetime, our adviser finally arrived and the rowdy students—specifically the ones at the back—began behaving.

Our adviser made her way to her desk and laid her items on top of it. She started, “Good morning class!”

“Good Morning,” we stood up.

“You may be seated,” she said as she turned her back on us. She took a chalk and began writing her name on the board.

“So,” she said. “I will be your homeroom teacher for this whole school year, and my name is Mrs. Han; and not only that, but we’ll also have a new student who'll be joining us for this school year. ” She began scanning the room for any new faces and her eyes stopped at Gikwang.

“Mr. Lee,” she nodded at him. “If you may, please introduce yourself.”

“Yes ma’am,” he stood up. He made his way in front and just as I’ve expected, I started hearing giggles, whispers and squeals from the rest of the girls in class.

“Hey everyone,” he flashed a smile and eyed our classmates as if they were his audience—or fans rather. I was starting to think that he was already used to all these ladies’ attention.

“I’m Lee Gikwang, and I transferred from S.O.L.O Academy.” He grinned. “Though I’m new here, I hope that we’ll all get along and that none of you,” he began locking eyes with me, “will try to avoid being friends with me.”

Mrs. Han laughed, “Of course we won’t avoid you!”

Gikwang turned to her and grinned. “Yeah,” he sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. “I hope so too.” Then he glanced at me. He glanced at me so quick, I could’ve just imagined it.

“Okay,” Mrs. Han blurted. “Is that all there is Mr. Lee?”

“Yes ma’am,” he said.

“Alright,” she gestured to his seat. “Then you may be seated.”

“Yes ma’am,” he bowed then looked at me. The both of us locked eyes as he made his way back to his seat. Once he sat down, I immediately looked away.

Thug. I felt the student behind me kick my chair. I let it pass the first time, but feeling it again and again, one after the other, I felt like there was a need to look back.

“What?” I hissed as I glanced over my shoulder. It was Hyuna—how could I have forgotten? She had an obviously fake smile all over her face as she icily handed me a sheet of paper that had the name, ‘Danica’ written on it.

I warily took the sheet from her and written on it were the words:

So does that mean I can have Dongwoon now?

Before I knew it, I grit my teeth and crumpled the piece of —or sheet rather.