Danica

Senior Romance at its Best

 

Danica

 

It was another typical school day, except that Hyuna and I haven’t been talking to each other.

Today, I woke up and had my breakfast before I took a shower and left for school. I can sense the worry that my mom’s feeling given the way that she glances at me.

Do you think she has noticed?

I bet she did. She’s my mother after all, and she would figure out soon. Also, it’s been since freshman year when Hyuna and I started walking to school together. That ‘tradition’ abruptly stopping would probably be a good enough sign for her to know that we’re done. With being best friends, I mean.

 

I reached Cube High and saw Gikwang leaning his back against the school gate checking his watch from time to time. He was glancing from and to it, as if he was waiting for someone to finally arrive. I started making my way towards him, and just as I suspected, he was waiting for me.

He glanced from his watch and his eyes landed on me. Immediately, I saw the cheerful glitter his eyes emitted. A wide grin spread across his face when he said, “It took you long enough.”

My lips threatened to smile, but I managed to keep a straight face. “How long have you been here?” I raised a brow.

“Just 2 or 3 minutes ago…” he fibbed. He was obviously lying, especially when I saw the security guard beside him mouth the word, ‘no’ after Gikwang talking. It was silly actually…to have him wait for me.

“Mmhm,” I nodded, pretending to have believed him.

“So,” he said, “let’s go?” He perked up.

“Okay,” I nodded, and the both of us entered school.

 

“How was your weekend?” he blurted. I glanced at him and saw his ears turn a shade of red. I smiled.

“It was alright. Peaceful.” I shrugged, “There’s nothing much to explain actually. How about you?”

“I shopped,” he glanced at me with a mischievous grin.

I glanced at him and raised a brow. “For what?” I asked.

“This,” he smiled as he began rummaging for something in his backpack thoroughly. It wasn’t long until he brought out glasses. It was black, with large lenses. It was kind of nerdy, but cute at the same time. It was the kind that ulzzangs usually wear, if you know what I mean.

“Glasses,” I nodded.

“Yeah,” he said, looking excited about it.

“Why?”

“So I won’t grab attention,” he shrugged.

I paused and turned to him, looking at him in disbelief.

“What exactly are you trying to say?” I crossed my arms. “So you won’t grab attention? What do you mean? That you know you’re good-looking, and you’re going to try to hide it?”

He grinned, “something like that.”

“You’re silly, you know?”

“No,” he chuckled, “I’m not. Just weird, but not silly.”

I began smiling now, and he laughed.

“What?” I looked at him.

“Nothing,” he said.

“Lies,” I shook my head.

“So,” he perked up, “should I wear it in front of you now?”

I laughed. “You’re really serious about this?”

He nodded.

“Go ahead,” I nodded. “I can’t wait to see how silly you’ll look anyways. After all, there’s nothing to hide.” I stuck my tongue out at him.

He laughed and began wearing the spectacles. I was expecting him to look stupid but…I was wrong.

He looked like a smarty-pants…a decent looking one. He didn’t look silly, as I expected, but he still looked good. He looked average, I guess. Maybe the glasses did hide part of his good looks—his eyes, for example.

“It’s not working so well,” I blurted before I could stop myself. He gave me a look and I felt my cheeks heat up.

“What do you mean it’s not working so well?”

I kept myself silent. I just shrugged.

“Is it the glasses?” he insisted. My cheeks grew beet-red as I shook my head.

He chuckled and laugh, “Liar,” he teased as he flicked my forehead.

“Ow!” I flinched. He just laughed. “Mean,” I muttered.

He looked at me and flashed me a sweet genuine smile.

 And beneath that smile, I could sense that he didn’t mean to hurt me in the bully kind of way. Somehow, in the way he looked at me… his eyes read, I did that as a form of affection.

It was almost like he was trying to say, I like you.