Danica

Senior Romance at its Best

 

Danica

 

Gikwang and I walked to our classroom together, and I guess it was sort of a surprise to my classmates to have them see me with the new kid.

The moment we arrived, whispers roused around the room.

At first, I thought the whispers, glancing, and gaping—yes, gaping. As in their jaws dropping down the floor—had everything to do with Gikwang and his glasses…but boy was I wrong.

Everything has got to do with rumors—Rumors about me, about him, and about Hyuna and I.

Remember last week when Hyuna and I fought? I’m guessing that the rumors have everything to do with that. Or not, but judging from the way girls glare at me—and grit their teeth even—I know that I’ve just become another target for their verbal bullying.

I’m tired of this, you know that? I’ve been through a lot of backbites in elementary, and I don’t want to encounter one again… especially now that I’m a senior. I mean, it’s the last year of High School, am I not supposed to be enjoying this?

Gikwang’s eyes scanned the room and I guess that he took an obvious hint that practically every girl were already hating me. He glanced at me and I felt a light squeeze in my hand.

“It’ll be fine,” he softly said, “don’t think about it.”

He gave me a small smile and I froze. The way he said don’t think about it got me smitten. It was as if, he understood me. As if he knew I was starting to dig up the past. It was like he knew the right thing to say to comfort me and make me forget the worst that could happen.

He reluctantly let go of my hand and made his way to his desk as meekly as possible. With my head hung low, and my hair flowing down my face, I followed after him.

**

I was thankful when the bell rang, I couldn’t take any more of my classmates staring. Their eyes were beginning to bore a hole in my head.

While students were piling out of the classrooms, I rummaged my bag searching for my pocket money. Clearly, the food in the cafeteria’s not free. It took me a matter of seconds to realize that Gikwang—still with his glasses on—was still there. He was leaning against the door frame.

“Why are you still here?” I said, though it came out harshly than I meant it to be.

“I’m waiting for you,” he shrugged as if it was the most obvious thing.

I raised a brow and finally got my wallet out of my bag. “Why?” I asked as I made my way towards him.

“Aren’t we eating together?”

“Since when did that happen?”

He smirked and leaned in, “Ever since I told you that I won’t let you be a friendless loser nor that Ms. Popular with heaps of friends.”

Before I knew it, Gikwang wrapped an arm around my shoulder and led me towards the cafeteria.