my only sunshine

Red Chrysanthemum

Prompt #3

Person 1 sings My Only Sunshine to Person 2 who is dying to comfort them

Plot twist
Person 2 sings it to Person 1 to comfort them.


This was one of those wrong place, wrong time situations, and God it was all wrong. They were just coming from a night of karaoke with friends, a little bit of a buzz from the alcohol. When Daehyun insisted they take the shorter route through the ally to get to the main road quicker. Jongup, however, had a bad feeling, attempting to tug Daehyun away from the alley.

"No, hyung, let's just stay on this road..." Jongup said softly, looking at the alley with worry. Daehyun just scoffed while pulling him into the alley, it would only take a few minutes to get through, but it was clearly sketchy.

"No, c'mon, here I can freely hold your hand, let's, go, Pup." Daehyun laced their fingers together pulling him into the alley. "I just want to be able to hold your hand in public, that's not too much to ask, right?"

Suddenly there was a sound of breaking glass and Jongup startled at the noise, but it was Daehyun who huddled against him, peeking over his shoulder at the commotion. There was a bang and a man stumbled out of a side door of a bar while a larger man stood from the entrance with a scowl on his face.

"Stay out, you drunken bastard if I see you again, I'm calling the cops." The man slammed the door shut while the drunk man stared at them before sneering in their direction.

"Can I help you, fags?" He pushed himself off the ground waving the broken beer bottle's jagged edge at them. "Something you like? You two pretty fags looking for a real man? Ain't gonna get it from me, in' nasty disgraces."

Jongup just squinted at the man quietly ushering Daehyun away from the angry disgruntled man. That, however, is what created the snowball of events that lead to the instance of wrong place and time. The man stormed over, ripping Daehyun away from Jongup, Daehyun making a distressed noise, reaching out to him. Before Jongup could pull him back the man yanked his shirt up, holding the sharp bottle to his abdomen.

"You guys make me sick, there needs to be less of you in' homos, dirtying up our good society," The man put Daehyun in a chokehold, pressing the broken bottle into his stomach. "I would be doing a service to society to get rid of this ."

"Let him go, please," Jongup slowly moved forward, but the bottle dug into Daehyun's side, causing him to make a noise as blood slid down his stomach. The reaction making Jongup stop in his tracks. "We're just trying to get ho—"

The man started dragging the jagged glass along his torso, Daehyun unable to scream as the man choked him, his voice strangled as he clawed at the man's arm, gasping while his eyes welled with tears. He dropped Daehyun and ran off from the alley, leaving him choking on air and bleeding heavily. Jongup was at his side within moments, hands pressed to the deep jagged cut along his stomach.

"Okay, hey, Dae, it's gonna be okay, don't move too much," He took his jacket it off using it as a compression for the wound, his free hand to dial for paramedics. "I need an ambulance, my friend has been stabbed, we're in the alleyway next to Blue's Bar, he's losing blood fast."

"Pup, it hurts," His voice was scratchy with a clear tremor in it. Jongup laid his head on his lap, brushing blood-soaked fingers through his hair, using his other hand to keep pressure on the wound. "Ah, I should have listened to you, huh?"

"Hey, shh... It's okay, it's okay." His fingers stilled for a moment before starting up again. Daehyun was on the verge of panicking, so Jongup did what he did best to calm Daehyun down, sing. "Y...you are my sunshine m-my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey..."

He brought his hand to his mouth, feeling his own panic setting in, he felt sick to his stomach and his eyes became unfocused. His field of vision became clear when he felt Daehyun's clammy hand on his. Suddenly his scratchy voice was singing.

"You'll never kn...know dear...how much I l-love you, please don't take my sunshine away."

Then his hand dropped from Jongup's and suddenly there were sirens and people rushing around him. It was that moment his sunshine was taken away.