Hospital Beds and Flowers

Red Chrysanthemum

Prompt 12:

Person A ends up in the hospital and Person B goes to visit.


Daehyun walked out his en-suite bathroom, a towel wrapped around his waist making his way to his dresser to find pajamas to wear to bed. Opening the top drawer he grabbed a set of striped pajamas and boxers, getting dressed quickly and making his way to bed. He picked up his phone and noticed a bunch of messages and missed called from almost everyone in the group, everyone except Jongup. He unlocked his phone and called the first person he could, feeling slightly panicked.

“Daehyun? About time we’ve been trying to reach you for an hour,” Himchan’s voice was filled with concern also scratchy as if he had been crying. “It’s Jongup.”

“What about him? Is he okay?” Daehyun grabbed his wallet and haphazardly stuffed a small suitcase with a blanket and some clothes. Rushing from his room he put a coat on and slipped his shoes on quickly leaving the house. “Where is he?”

“He said he wasn’t feeling well earlier so he stayed home,” There was a deep breath on the other side of the phone line. “When we came back he was barely lucid, burning up, and vomiting, but he kept asking for you. He’s at S.U. Hospital, V.I.P room 994.”

“Tell him I’ll be there soon, I promise.”

Daehyun quietly opened the hospital door, bag slung over his shoulder holding a vase of flowers and giant box with 36 packs of hot cocoa. Jongup was still asleep when he set everything down and sat in the chair by his bed, holding his hand. Daehyun placed a kiss on top of Jongup’s hand, watching the rise and fall of his chest.

“Hey, I made it, I’m here,” He turned his head when he heard the door opening and nurse stepped in, she smiled at him as she came over to check his vitals. “I’m not past visiting hours, am I?”

“You’re okay, hon, significant others can be here,” She didn’t even spare him a look when he inhaled sharply. How did she even know? Was it because she saw him holding his hand? “It’s okay, your business is your business, I don’t care how famous you are, I’m just trying to make people healthy.”

“Do you know what’s wrong with him?”

“Pneumonia, it sets in quickly, you can be feeling a little feverish and within a few hours your temperature is spiked and you’re hit with a barrage of symptoms,” She jotted down something on her clipboard then looked at Daehyun. “He’ll have to stay a few days just so we can observe him, he was very dehydrated. He’ll be on some medication for a while to help with the lung infection.”

“How long would you suggest he rest? He tends to overwork himself and... I,” He glanced at Jongup who sighed heavily, his oxygen mask fogging up and Daehyun gripped his hand a little tighter. “I just worry about him, he means a lot to me.”

“I would say until he finishes his medication, which will probably be a month dosage, no more than a few hours of exercise a day,” She adjusted his pillows and brushed his hair from his eyes. “But, with you, he’s in good hands, I can tell. Now you should get some sleep too, you’ve worried yourself silly and you’re exhausted, extra blankets are in the closet, goodnight.”

“Thank you and goodnight.” The nurse smiled and left the room, Daehyun turned back to Jongup listening to the heart monitor and his breathing. Leaning over he pulled a small blanket from his bag wrapping it around his shoulders. Scooting closer he laid his arms on the bed, resting his chin on them, just watching Jongup. “Goodnight to you too, Pup.”

Jongup woke up confused to the sound of beeping and too bright sunshine, looking around he sits up slowly. His whole body ached like he was thrown into a drier and tossed around for forty-five minutes. There was a nurse standing there writing things when she glanced up and noticed he was awake a smile made its way across her face.

“Good morning, Jongup, how are you feeling? You’ve caught pneumonia, but nothing a little rest and medicine won’t fix.” He looked over and noticed Daehyun holding his hand while the nurse removed his mask and handed him a glass of water.  “He stayed with you all night, the night nurse said he was very worried.”

“M’fine…I want Daehyun.” The nurse nodded with a smile and left the room just as Daehyun was stirring. Jongup shook his hand tried to jostle him awake gently.  “Daehyun, wake up, please.”

“Mm…what…Jongup?” Daehyun sat up and squinted then smiled real big jumping up and took him into a gentle hug. “I was worried, Himchan called me and said you were sick I—”

“Da..Dae you’re smothering m-me.” Jongup wheezed, his lungs constricting and Daehyun moved back but cupped his face placing kisses all over. Jongup laughed and batted at him. “Stop, stop! I’m fine, I’m fine! Also probably contagious!”

“When you get out I am babying you, you are only allowed to practice three hours max a day,” There was a giggle from Jongup who shook his head. “Don’t even think about singing any long or high notes. You know I am being serious, stop laughing, I need to take care of you. I love you too much, so I need to make sure you’re okay.”

“Okay, then take care of me, Nurse Jung, will I get you in a cute nurse’s outfit? With stockings?” Jongup said grinning, his cute bunny-toothed smile showing itself.

“Don’t push it, Jongup.”