Chapter 9

A Beam Of Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Everyone to their stations.” Yuri commanded, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand, and removing her jacket.

 

“ETA Hyoyeon?” She spoke, her voice reaching the team who were about to infiltrate the city on the other end.

“We’ve just arrived General.”

 

“There is no room for error in this, is everyone prepared?”

Everyone in the room nodded, all seated around their computers. Nerves were making the air stuffy - the hacking team had never attempted something of this magnitude before.

 

“Hyoyeon, keep your eyes on the gates, we’re going to commence now.”

 

Seohyun placed a hand on Yuri’s shoulder and gave her a reassuring smile, trying to calm her down.

 

“Team S, start on the communications now.”

 

A flurry of fingers on keyboards created a constant clicking in the room. Yuri watched her first team, who cut off communication for the border.

 

“Ma’am. We have a three minute window, communications are down.” The team leader spoke, keeping his eyes glued to the screen as he continued to type.

 

“We need that gate open now, Team A go ahead.” Yuri smiled this time, feeling more confident. “Team J get the CCTV down for the route to the safehouse.”

 

Each second was full of painful tension. Concentrated faces dominated the room, as everyone did their best to make the whole event seem like a simple power failure, and not a resistance infiltration.

 

“General, doors are up.”

“Hyoyeon, wait my signal. How is CCTV looking?”

“Disabled General.”

 

Hyoyeon wasted no time. When Yuri told her she could go, she floored the accelerator and sent the jeep racing forward. They had to get to the safehouse before anyone noticed the foreign vehicle on the streets.

 

The home was located in the center of the city, which made everything much harder. Trying to get through the narrow streets without causing suspicion was usually a death sentence, but Hyoyeon knew what she was doing.

 

Ten minutes into the journey, they were approaching their destination when panicked voices filled Hyoyeon’s earpiece.

 

“General, they’re detecting the CCTV hack.”

“. Can you hold them?”

“They’re commencing a takeback of it, they’re locking onto our systems.”

“We can’t pull out.” Yuri gasped, her face turning pale.

“They’ve got ahold of our systems General.”

 

“!” Yuri slammed her fist against the wall. “Cease the hack.”

Everyone stared in disbelief.

“NOW!” Yuri screamed, knocking everyone out of their daze. “SHUT THIS DOWN.”

 

“Hyoyeon, they’re onto us, you have thirty seconds then they will have their eyes back, get the out of there.”

 

The line went dead as Yuri knocked the base power off, plunging the town into darkness.

 

“Were we quick enough?” She asked the teams.

“They couldn’t get into our systems, they won’t even know it was a hack - we’re okay General, they can’t find us.”

 

A collective sigh of relief sounded in the room. If the city had gotten ahold of the systems there was no way out, they would be located and destroyed before they could even get ready to defend themselves.

 

Tough calls like these were never easy to make, but there was no way Yuri could put the entire Resistance in jeopardy for one team.

 

“Hyoyeon, what’s going on?” Hyejeong asked, not bothering to hide the uncertainty in her voice. The driver had suddenly changed the gear into the highest, and drove forwards pushing the car to its limit.

 

“We have twenty seconds. I can’t get us there.” Hyoyeon replied panicked.

 

Faces in the jeep dropped and each second that ticked by was painfully fast.

 

“SOMEONE THINK OF SOMETHING.” Hyoyeon yelled, twisting the steering wheel fully to the right and serving into a narrow alleyway.

“How long do we have?” Taeyeon asked.

“Ten seconds.”

“Nine.”

“Eight.”

“Seven.”

Taeyeon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter