Chapter 2

A Beam Of Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Oh my god!” A voice shrieked.

 

The voice belonged to a young lady walking through the woods collecting flowers on behalf of her step mother. She had ventured out in the evening, just as the sun was setting behind the mountain peaks in the distance.

 

It had been an enjoyable walk. The air was cooling as it brushed past her skin, cooling her down from the summer heat; the view was one of a kind: a pink and purple sky, with the silhouettes of trees making it even more beautiful. She would have considered it one of the best walks she’d ever had in fact!

 

That was until she noticed a bloody, bruised body, lying limp against a tree.

 

Tiffany wasn’t quite sure what to do now - did she tell someone that there was a dead body in the forest? She stepped cautiously closer to the body and lifted the head back off the floor, inspecting the face. She pulled down the bandana covering the subject’s face and gasped upon feeling the skin. It was warm, meaning this person was hopefully alive.

 

When she looked at the face she started to panic.

“This little girl has fallen off this motorbike!” She accidently exclaimed out loud.  

 

She regained her composure and placed the basket of flowers down on the floor; rolling her sleeves up and trying to remember her first aid training.

 

Her first attempt at nursing was putting the girl into the recovery position. She started to move the girl’s limbs, but then realised she didn’t know what the recovery position was so only ended up rolling her onto her back.

 

She decided to check for injury, so removed the backpack and coat off the woman. She checked the arms first, and saw gashes littering them, and blood was still seeping from most of the wounds. She took off her jacket and wrapped it around a particularly deep gash to try lessen the bleeding.

 

After checking for any really bad wounds, Tiffany decided to try lift the patient onto the motorbike so she could wheel her to get some help. At the center of the forest was a small camp she had built with her friends one summer - if it was still standing it’d be the perfect place to let the injured girl rest.

 

The idea was perfect in theory. The only problem was the ‘little girl’ turned out to be more of a short woman, because she definitely didn’t weight the same as a child.

“-” She spoke between breaths, “I take it back. She’s not a little girl!”



 

Although the motorbike was heavy, they made fairly good progress through the forest. The hut was visible now, when suddenly the bike felt a lot lighter. Tiffany spun around and almost screamed when she was the bike was empty.

“HOW DID I LOSE A BODY?” She screamed (probably a little too loud.)  

 

She began frantically searching for the girl along the trail, squinting in the darkness. She felt something cool and metallic press against her forehead, and a hand wrapping around her neck in a choke hold.

“Who the are you and why are you kidnapping me?” Taeyeon’s voice whispered in her ear.

Tiffany didn’t seem to realise it was a gun, and knocked it aside coolly.

“I expected you to be a little nicer to me when you woke up.” She replied. “And I wasn’t kidnapping you! I was trying to save your life.”

 

Taeyeon suddenly remembered the events that transpired before she crashed into a tree and started to panic.

“.” She yelled, grabbing her hair with her hands.

“I appreciate this.. Uh…”

“Tiffany.”

“Yeah, thank you Tiffany but I have to leave.”

“Not in this state you’re not! I need to make sure you’re not still bleeding.”

“Tiffany you don’t understand. I NEED to leave. There’s people looking for me”

Tiffany only raised her eyebrow in response.

“I just killed 13 policemen!” Taeyeon revealed shamefully, waiting for Tiffany to run away screaming.

“Good for you little Miss Sunshine! But I am not leaving you until I’ve made sure you’re not injured!” Tiffany said back, smiling and walking off with Taeyeon’s bag.

 

Taeyeon grabbed her bike and started the engine, driving towards Tiffany and stopping next to her. “Get on Tiffany, you can direct me to wherever we’re going.”

“I’m not getting on your motorbike. How do I know you can really drive it?” Tiffany asked skeptically. “If there’s anything I’ve learned in life, getting onto a stranger’s bike after she just rode it into a tree isn’t a good idea.”

“We don’t have to be strangers. You’ve helped me so that makes us at least acquaintances doesn’t it? And technically I didn’t ride it into a tree I just fell off it and into a tree...”

“I don’t even know your name!” Tiffany exclaimed.

“Let’s start again then. My name is Kim Taeyeon, and I am a fugitive running from the authorities, who can also drive motorbikes. Want a ride?”

 

Tiffany’s parents would kill her if they knew she was on a motorbike with a criminal; she on the other hand, was loving the feeling of the wind through her hair. Taeyeon was right, she really could drive the motorbike well. They zipped through the forest, flying over bumps and swerving through trees, making Tiffany shriek and laugh. Her hands were planted firmly on the other woman’s waist, securing herself onto the bike. It wasn’t far to the camp, but Taeyeon was true to say this was much better than walking.

 

“How was that?” Taeyeon asked, as she helped Tiffany hop down off the seat.

“I may have to steal your motorbike now.” Tiffany chuckled, heading towards the little wooden hut that still stood. She reached under the doormat and picked up the key, before entering.

 

“I have proper first aid stuff here, so chuck your stuff down and I’ll sort you out.”

 

Taeyeon placed her bag down and closed the door, heading to sit down on the wooden table in the middle of the room.

“Is this your house?” Taeyeon asked.

“This is just a hut me and my friends built when we were younger. We don’t come back often but we have supplies to last a few weeks should any of us ever need to use it.” Tiffany answered.

“Is your town far from here?”

“About a 30 minute walk.”

 

Tiffany took Taeyeon’s jacket off and set about dabbing warm water onto each of the cuts and cleaning the blood off. Taeyeon winced at the the deeper ones but didn’t show any other signs of discomfort.

 

“Taeyeon?” Tiffany called from another room.

“Yeah?” Taeyeon replied.

“Slight issue with the plasters… I only have pink ones.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t have much choice so let Tiffany stick pink over every cut. She sighed, later laughing at Tiffany’s expression of joy when she admired all of the colour on Taeyeon.

“This is yet another proof to my theory that pink makes everything better.”

 

“Taeyeon, there’s blood on your abdomen, are you cut there?”

She lifted her shirt and winced as she stared at the deep gash on her stomach.

“I didn’t feel that there.” She tried to joke, failing as it started to sting while Tiffany disinfected it. Tiffany could help admire Taeyeon’s abs as she cleaned the blood from around it. Taeyeon clearly worked out.

“This might take a while to clean, tell me more about yourself to keep your mind off it.” She suggested, as she used tweezers to remove what looked like tiny rocks from the cut.

 

Taeyeon spilled everything while Tiffany worked, talking about why she left, how she wants to find the resistance and how she has developed the technology to convert her energy into light. Tiffany seemed mesmerised as she listened.

“Can you show me?” She asked, gasping as Taeyeon created a ball of light and placed it in her palms. Tiffany threw it up and caught it, it felt like glass, smooth and hard. Taeyeon placed her palm on it, and concentrated, transforming the ball into a little flower which she took and put in the top pocket of Tiffany’s blouse.

 

“You can keep that so you won’t forget me.” Taeyeon smiled. “Most light I transform breaks down but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter