Chapter 18

A Beam Of Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I can't belive I've actually written so many chapters.. Enjoy number 18!!

 

“Popular Senator, Jo Mihye was found dead this morning, inside her office. Reports say that a bullet was through her head in a suspected assassination. Police believe that she was working with the Resistance for the past six months, but are still trying to gather solid evidence from her offices.”

 

“This makes no sense!” Kahi exclaimed, jumping up from her chair and turning off the live news feed. “Mihye is too clever to have slipped up like this.”

 

Silence ensued and the room fell into deep thought.

 

“What happened to her secretary?” The General asked.

“Choa?” Yuri asked. Kahi nodded in response, massaging her temples with her hands. “We picked her up near Amity this morning, we haven’t talked to her yet.”

“Get her here once she’s rested.” She let her eyes flicker around the room quickly before lowering her voice. “Inform alpha team to meet us at the emergency room tonight. We’re going to have to move faster than we anticipated.”

Yuri nodded and swallowed nervously, exiting the room without another word.

 

Tiffany sat on the porch, holding her icy blue flower to her chest.

 

She was past the point of being sad now. Everytime she and Taeyeon ended up together, something went wrong.

 

The pain consumed her as a constant numbness. She waited as she sat. She waited for the petite hand to grasp her own; she waited for the whisper of I love you.

 

The silhouette of a figure approaching knocked her out of her thoughts for a second.


 

“Hey Tiffany.” Yuri spoke, giving a wave. “Holding up okay?”

Tiffany shrugged and weakly smiled.

“Is everyone inside?”

“Yeah.”

Yuri walked past her, giving a reassuring pat of the back before walking in through the pastel blue door.

“Come inside with me, we’ve got some things to discuss.”

 

Yuri refused to say anything of importance as the group gathered in the living room of their home. She ushered them out of the door and into a truck, not forgetting to grab Sunny from her residence on the way.

 

The General drove speedily out of the camp, passing the barrier.

“How come the barrier is down?” Eunjung whispered to Hyoyeon, sticking her head out of the window to take a look. The blonde shrugged back with a frown - they should have been up.

 

Yuri navigated them south for almost an hour, before pulling to a stop in the middle of a field.

 

They sat still, until they heard the cranking of gears, and they felt the van descend downwards through the floor. The night sky started to grow further away, until the space above them closed up.

 

“What’s happening Yuri?” Hyejeong questioned in a panic. She reached for the pistol on her leg, but was halted when the General held her hand gently.

“There’s no need for weapons Hyejeong. We’re going to explain everything, please be patient with me.”

“We tell each other everything Yuri.” Hyejeong scowled, the anger seething through her teeth as she spoke. “You better have a damn good reason for what you’ve been hiding from me.”

 

The discomfort of the Commander was obvious as she exited the vehicle. She kept her team close to her, not trusting the situation.

 

Everyone gathered around their leader instantly. Eunjung and Jiyeon stood either side of Sooyoung and Tiffany protectively, guarding the least trained members.

 

The whole compound was an underground, hyper modernised hub.

 

Stainless steel pathways ran every direction through the open space, with people bustling around everywhere.

 

“Come on.” Yuri called, waving them towards a pathway, guarded by two burly men in SWAT like gear.

 

“You’re going to have to hand over your gun.” The man on the left spoke to Hyejeong apologetically, pointing to the holster on her thigh.

“Like hell I am!” She snapped back, walking forwards undeterred.

 

Her pathway was blocked by the taller of the two.

 

Hyejeong looked him up and down once, before jumping forwards and punching him in the face. Ignoring Yuri’s cries of protest, she launched herself into another attack aimed at the other guard who approached her from behind.

 

Reaching downwards, she flung her gun out from its pouch, sending it high up in the air. Simultaneously, she grabbed the collar of the man’s shirt before shifting her body weight to her left leg and hauling him over the shoulder.

 

Seolhyun slid across the floor, catching the gun as it fell, and knocking the safety off, aiming it at the downwards, just as Hyejeong’s attacker’s back hit the ground, landing with his head directly beneath the barrel.

 

“I don’t like saying things twice.” Hyejeong growled. “I’m keeping the ing gun.”

 

“Mathew? What are you doing?!” A girl spoke, approaching in a hoodie and sweatpants. She had ashy blonde hair and a pair of gold wire frame glasses. She wore no shoes, only a white pair of ankle high socks. “They’re not the enemy, we’re on the same side.” She scalded the guard who was still standing.

“I’m sorry Ma’am.” He replied remorsefully.

 

The girl rolled her eyes.


She turned to address the group, shaking the hand of Yuri first, before making her way around the rest of the group.

“My name is Byulyi, and this is my paradise!”

 

“I’m glad you’re all here.” She spoke with a grin.

“Has everyone else arrived?” The General asked, ignoring the sceptical looks that we’re being flashed her way by the other company in attendance.

“They arrived an hour ago, come on I’ll lead you to the conference room.”

 

She hung back and walked alongside Hyejeong instantly, smiling up at the tall woman.

“I’m so sorry about that Commander Hyejeong.” She smiled apologetically. “I did tell them who you were beforehand, they shouldn’t have requested to take your weapon off you.”

“It’s no problem.” Hyejeong interrupted, clearly still in a dire mood.

“I understand you’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter