Chapter 12

A Beam Of Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Mihye?” Hyejeong repeated, trying to suppress the shocked look which had splattered itself on her face. She nodded in reply and the group gaped.

 

When they were told they had a Senate member, sneaking them information, it was a mystery who the person was. They were most certainly not expecting it to be one of the highest ranking politicians of the entire Governing body.

 

“How about we get a drink, and then head to my private room at the back to chat?” Mihye suggested, throwing some bills on the bar for another round of drinks. Once they reached the room, her bodyguards stood outside, and the team were alone.

 

“From your reactions before, I guess you would never had guessed you’d see my face here.” She chuckled.

“You weren’t our first guess.” Jiyeon admitted.

“Well let’s get to it - I don’t like to beat around the bush. I want to help you further.”

“Not that we want to insult you Ma’am, but how can we trust you?” Hyejeong asked, trying to suss out the woman in front of them.

“Of course not, I wouldn’t expect anything less from Yuri’s best team. See, I know a lot more than I let on about you and I have eyes and ears everywhere. If I wanted to tell the council about you, I would have.”

 

Her eyes found Hyoyeon from across the table, and their eyes connected before Mihye spoke.

“I know why your parents died, I know who killed them and I know what your side jobs are.”

Next her eyes snapped onto Hyejeong’s.

“I know the coordinates of the resistance base.” She spoke with calm and clarity, holding up a GPS tracker, which showed the exact position of the stronghold.

 

Finally she locked eyes with Taeyeon, and reduced the volume of her voice.

“But I have a lot I’d like to know about you Kim Taeyeon - you’re a mystery. No matter how many people I ask, no one seems to know why there’s an entire Government operation running, just because of you…”

 

All the heads in the room turned to look at her.

“They’re trying to find me?” She questioned, not quite understand what the woman was trying to insinuate.

“They’re not trying to find you, they’re hunting you down.” Mihye spat with venom. “Senator’s children have gone missing before, but no one has ever given a damn. What makes you so special?” Her finger reached out, pointing an accusatory statement at her. “I know that there’s things you have told them,” She guestered to the other women in the room. “That isn’t common knowledge, and if you can tell me, I can help you.”

 

Taeyeon swallowed a lump in , and summoned some light, transforming into different objects. “I can manipulate light, and it seems to have started to operate my body instead of my organs.”

“So that’s what the blackout was last night? You charging up.”

“I guess?”

 

Mihye was silent for a few moments, thinking intently. She brought out a phone from her pocket and held it up to her ear. Hyejeong looked at the others anxiously, unsure of if they were in danger or not.

 

“Jo? It’s me. I need an insider on the Beam Project.”

She tapped her foot in the ground impatiently.

“I don’t care about cost - get it done by tomorrow evening.”

 

She dropped the phone onto the table and smiled for the first time. Her hard exterior slipped slightly for a moment; it was enough for the girls to see they could trust her.

 

“I’m going to find out what’s happening on that project. Once we have an insider we’ll work from there.” She explained, shedding her blazer and loosening her tie. “I feel like I should explain a little about myself before we next meet. As I have said, this position was handed to me through my parents who held it before me. They were killed when they organised the escape of our soon to be military General. She held a position of power also.”

 

Mihye let out a deep breath and scrolled through her phone, holding up a picture.

 

“Recognise her?”

 

Hyejeong gasped.

 

“Kahi?”

 

Realisation hit everyone like a train.

 

“That’s her new identity. Back then she held the position under the name Park Jiyoung. When my parents helped her escape she was only 15, giving her a new identity. By then she’d finished military training - top of her class. She joined the Resistance and became their leader by the time she was 23. My family died helping this woman get to where she is today - I’d be stupid to let my loyalty lie with anyone else but her.”

 

The team returned to the bar the following night, wasting no time in contacting Yuri and updating her on the mission.

“I wasn’t expecting that.” The General responded, awestruck. “That woman really doesn’t like to give anything away about herself, huh?”


 

The next day passed fast, and they soon sat in the same room they had been in 24 hours ago, waiting the arrival of their insider. They weren’t waiting long, until she emerged through the door, holding a briefcase. She slammed it down on the desk, and emptied the contents out.

 

“I’m going to get straight to the point.” She spoke with urgency. “Taeyeon, I want you to try change your appearance.”

“I’ve never tried that before…” She admitted, slightly afraid by the proposition.

“Well,” She pulled out a photo from the stacks of files on the table. “I need to you try and manipulate your appearance to look like him. If you can manipulate light, you theoretically should be able to make yourself look different.”

 

Taeyeon focused on the photo, and imagined herself as the tall man.

 

When she opened her eyes, she was taller than Hyejeong. She touched her face, and felt the roughness of her hands, and the stubble on her face.

 

“Holy .” She exclaimed, a deep voice booming out instead of her quiet feminine one.

“I wasn’t sure whether that was even possible.” Mihye admitted, smiling. “We don’t have time to waste. Right now your name is Mattias Lacroix and you’re a researcher in the Beam Project. Your fingerprint and eye pattern will get you into every room and we need every bit of information that they have. Once we have received all the files, torch the lab. No one in that building is an innocent.”

 

Just then her bodyguards entered the room. They took out a small black case from another briefcase and use tweezers to remove a tiny contact lens. The taller of the two men opened Taeyeon’s eye and the other placed the lens over it.

 

“That is a camera which feeds directly to this computer screen. Any document you look at is automatically recorded and stored in my secure hard drive. I believe you have your own earpiece?” Taeyeon nodded. “Then I will guide you through everything with that. Let’s go.”

 

Mihye and her bodyguards left the room abruptly, and the girls followed. They left the club and entered a large black limo, which hovered off of the ground, and joined the flow of traffic in the air.

 

“Taeyeon?” Yoona spoke, tapping the ‘man’ on the shoulder.

“Yes Yoona?”

“You look very attractive.” The AI complimented, smiling to herself.

“Thanks?” Taeyeon replied, chuckling.

“I think Tiffany has competition.” Hyoyeon laughed, pushing the robot. No one noticed the frown invade Taeyeon’s face for a quick moment.

 

‘I’m sorry for what I said, I promise I’ll explain it all soon. Keep smiling. I miss you.’ She quickly messaged Tiffany, feeling guilt creep into her conscience. They hadn’t talked since Tiffany confessed, and Taeyeon already missed her, terribly. She couldn’t see the girl at the other end of the phone, smiling as she stared at the text on her screen.

 

“See! I told you Tiffany, she doesn’t hate you!” Sooyoung complained, after swiping the phone off her friend. “Women always over react.”

Tiffany didn’t reply - only lay down with her hands over her heart, clutching the small light heart that Taeyeon had made her, the first time they met.

“Eesh. You’re making me sick.”

“I’m sick too. With love.”

Sooyoung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter