Chapter 4

The most unbearable roommate

Lu Han moved a little bit under his bed sheets, trying his best to ignore all the noise his roommate was doing while getting ready to head out. He knew that Se Hun hadn't chosen the schedule for his classes with the only purpose of bothering him every morning, it wasn't anyone's fault, so the blond boy just had to understand that the taller had a good reason to get up earlier.

The noise stopped, and Lu Han managed to fall asleep again for another while. When he finally opened his eyes, he turned to the other side of the room and saw Se Hun's empty bed. He didn't know what time it was since his alarm hadn't been activated yet but, he decided to get up at once and get ready to go to his first class.

The first thing he did was find his cell phone. It was not necessary to leave the alarm set for that day if he was already awake. He took the opportunity to check his messages, answering good morning wishes from Yun and Baek Hyun.

After taking a shower and getting dressed, he made sure he had everything he needed inside his backpack. He went to his desk to pick up his key and get out, but he found a small surprise. There was a coupon that could be exchanged at The Silver House, a cafeteria which was quite popular among university students, mostly because of the good food and not so much because of how close it was. Next to the coupon was a note written with blue ink, in which one could read:
I'm sorry I didn't come back with your dinner last night, I hope you accept this, so you can have breakfast.
— Oh Se Hun.

"Se Hun being kind? It's not possible. Is he sick?" he thought out loud before putting the coupon away in his pocket, grabbing his key and leaving the dorm.

It was impossible to refuse a good and free breakfast. After making sure that it was early and that he had enough time to go to the cafeteria, Lu Han didn't think it twice. Arriving to The Silver House would be a walk of no more than ten minutes.

The coupon allowed him to eat delicious pancakes with butter and maple syrup, so he returned to college in a very good mood. He would thank Se Hun later… Or maybe he would demand to know what he did with the money he had given him? He couldn't decide if he was angry because he didn't return the money or if he was grateful for the incredible breakfast.

He snapped back to reality when he felt his cell phone vibrate inside the pocket of his jacket. When he checked it, he smiled inevitably. Yun's messages sometimes seemed to have magical powers.

W-Yun:
Are you in class, deer?

Deer7:
I will be in a few minutes.

W-Yun:
That means we won't be able to talk for long…

Deer7:
I'm afraid that's how it is.
But I'll text you at lunchtime! I promise, Yunnie.

W-Yun:
I'll be waiting. 😊

Lu Han put the device away before entering the corresponding classroom and greeting Baek Hyun, who kept waving his hand from side to side as if Lu Han hadn't seen him yet. He sat down next to him and smiled, also greeting Kyung Soo since that place he had chosen was behind the shorter one's desk. Min Seok didn't have that class with them, but at least they would be able to see him later.

"Chan Yeol invited us to spend lunchtime with him and his friends," said an excited Baek Hyun, taking advantage of the fact that the teacher hadn't arrived. "What do you say? Shall we do it?"

"Who are Chan Yeol's friends?" Kyung Soo asked. "I think Jong In has mentioned that name before…"

"Do not even think about rejecting the invitation just because your roommate also knows Chan Yeol." Baek Hyun pointed to the shorter one with his index finger. "Oh! The same goes for you, Lu Han!" He then turned to see the blond guy. "The fact that Se Hun and Chan Yeol are friends shouldn't be a reason to say no."

"But you know I'd rather spend my time away from that idiot," Lu Han complained. "Although… Well, I won't deny that inviting me breakfast this morning was very kind of him."

"Did you have breakfast together?!" The brown-haired boy almost jumped, waiting for answers as he rested his hands over Lu Han's shoulders.

"No!" He answered immediately. He couldn't let Baek Hyun's imagination fire up. "He gave me a coupon I could trade at The Silver House, so I went and had breakfast there. That's all."

Baek Hyun wanted to ask more questions, but the teacher suddenly arrived at the classroom, so he had no choice but to keep quiet and pay attention to the new lesson.

Of course, at lunchtime, the blond guy couldn't escape. He ended up giving Baek Hyun every single detail until he understood that what had happened wasn't such a big deal.

"I see…" Sighed the brown-haired boy. "Anyways, since I couldn't convince you, I'll go and look for Chan Yeol by myself. You wouldn't hate me for spending this lunchtime with him and his friends, would you?"

"Of course not." Lu Han laughed a little bit. "You're overreacting."

"Don't tell Jong In anything about me," Kyung Soo asked with a frown.

"I won't… Or maybe I will," he said before walking away.

"Baek Hyun!" The shortest one shouted while hearing his friend's laughter.

The following days were somewhat annoying for Lu Han. He had the feeling that his roommate was even more unbearable than before and that the coupon for The Silver House had been nothing more than something silly he had used to feel less guilty. He didn't even ask what had happened to the money he lent him, he just didn't care about it anymore. Despite the difficult days, the blond guy let everything pass because in his mind he was dominated by the emotion that the idea of standing face to face with Yun gave him. That very same emotion was what didn't allow him to sleep properly at night, he needed Saturday to arrive at once.

On Friday night, Lu Han got back to the bedroom pretty early and greeted Se Hun as casually as he could. Surprisingly, Se Hun replied to the greeting.

"I would like to sleep early tonight. I know you like to read before you go to sleep, and you need to turn on your lamp to do it." Lu Han was trying his best to sound friendly. "But I would really appreciate it if only tonight you could…"

"Okay," Se Hun interrupted him. "I'll turn off my lamp at half past nine."

"Really?" Lu Han asked, his eyes widening in surprise. "That… That would be amazing. Thank you, Se Hun."

The shorter of the two sat down on his bed and sighed. For the first time, his roommate and he had a normal conversation. Short, yes. But normal.

"Lu Han…"

"Yes?"

"Your money." He pointed at the other's desk.

"My money?"

"I didn't bring you dinner the other day, so I left the money there."

"And you're telling me now?" He wasn't really complaining, he just didn't understand why the brown-haired guy had taken so long to give the money back. He laughed softly in order to show that he wasn't angry at all.

"I should have returned it before. Sorry."

"Don't worry."

"I should have also… brought you dinner that time."

"It's okay, Se Hun." A weak smile formed on his lips. "You made it up to me with the free breakfast."

They stayed silent for about two minutes. The only sound left inside the room was Se Hun's fingers typing something on his laptop.

"So… Did you like going to The Silver House?"

"Huh?" Lu Han turned around to see him. "Ah, yes… Yes! Their pancakes are the best I have ever eaten."

The awkward silence returned after that comment. The blond boy sighed again and grabbed some clean clothes before heading towards the bathroom.

"Their milkshakes are good, too," Se Hun said before Lu Han could close the door. "We can go for one later… If you want to."

"Ah… Sure. Sounds good," he replied. "I like milkshakes."

He closed the door and gave himself a soft hit on the head. That conversation, without a doubt, must have been the most uncomfortable and foolish he had ever had. However, now he had a good question… Did being able to talk like that with his roommate, without starting a fight, mean that there was a possibility of getting along with him?

To be continued.