Chapter 1

The most unbearable roommate

Lu Han stayed awake that night because of a very simple reason: he was talking to his best friend, whom he affectionately called "Yunnie". He didn't close his eyes until the clock showed it was already after three thrity in the morning.

In spite of that, the young blond managed to wake up earlier than usual on that day... He even beat his alarm clock! He was clearly full of energy, although he also seemed to be a little bit nervous since he was going to start his career at college.

His suitcases were ready, tightly closed, just waiting for him next to his bedroom's door. His house was near the dormitory building at the university, but Lu Han had taken the decision of moving there, anyways. Luckily for him, his parents supported him, so he already had his place.

Nervousness was taking over him, almost winning over his excitement. It couldn't be good to start the day like that!

He dressed up as fast as he could and went downstairs to have breakfast, leaving home a few minutes later, but not without saying good-bye to his parents with a hug before.

He was somewhat distracted while he walked towards the dormitory building, but suddenly he felt his phone vibrate, announcing that he got a new message. Without hesitation, he took out the device and read, giving a soft smile when he saw that his friend Yun had written to him.

W-Yun:
Good morning, deer.
Today is the big day!

Deer7:
I know! We will both start our lives as college students... It's amazing.

Yun and Lu Han had never met face to face before, they were only internet friends. How did it happen? It was unexpected, but they had met in a forum that talked about music, and they had liked each other since the first day. Without realizing it, sometimes they ended up talking for hours. The best thing was that their friendship continued to grow over time.

Even though they had only communicated through the instant messaging application called WhatsApp, Lu Han could assure that Yun was a very good person and that conversations with him were the best; these took away all the tireness at night.

W-Yun:
Did you already have breakfast?

Deer7:
Yes, with my parents.
Now I'm walking towards my dorm.
How strange it feels to write that... I don't even know why. Hahaha.

W-Yun:
Hahaha. You'll get used to it.

Deer7:
I bet.

W-Yun:
Are you nervous?

Deer7:
Very nervous!
How can I not be nervous?
Today I won't only start my career.
Today I'll also meet the person who will be my roommate for the next 365 days, at least.

W-Yun:
I don't think you should be so nervous.

Deer7:
Try to understand, Yunnie.
I'm an only child, I've always had my own space...
But now I'll have to share it with someone else.

W-Yun:
It's not that bad, deer.
I'm used to share my bedroom with someone.

Deer7:
Huh?

W-Yun:
Oh, God! That could be interpreted so wrong!
What I'm trying to say is that I grew up with my older brother.
I always shared the room with him.
I'm already used to it.

Deer7
Of course, that's exactly what I understood.
😊

W-Yun:
Hahaha.
You're such a liar.

Deer7:
I must go now, Yunnie. I'm going up the stairs.
And I still have to unpack when I arrive to my dorm.

W-Yun:
Good luck, deer! Talk to me later and tell me how everything goes.
And of course, I'll tell you everything, too.

Deer7:
Of course!
Bye-bye.

Lu Han sighed and put his phone back in his pocket. He had to admit that having a short conversation with Yun had helped him, he was already more relaxed than before... Right?

Even if he had talked to his friend, the blond didn't really know if he was ready or not to start his life as a college student. He was there, standing in front of the bedroom whose door had the number 14 on it, but he felt he was unable to move, and his legs were shaking more than a fresh pudding.

"Maybe my roommate is already there, so knocking on the door would be the most polite thing to do," he thought out loud. "But it's also my room now! They gave me a key downstairs... That means I can just go in, right?"

He didn't even know why he was thinking too much. He shook his head twice before finally deciding to insert the key and open the door, taking his first step into the interior of the room. He did that so carefully, as if the floor was made of glass or something similar. When he took his first steps in what would be his new bedroom, he noticed that his roommate hadn't arrived. He took the chance to explore a little bit more and, of course, to pick the bed that seemed most comfortable.

There was only one bathroom, but apart from that, each side of the room had exactly the same things: a bed, a small table next to it, a spacious desk in front, and a chair to sit down and work.

After some time, he decided to stay with the bed that was on the left side of the room and began to peacefully put his belongings in order. Half an hour later, he had already taken most of his things out of the suitcases; he just had a few more clothes to hang in the closet, he liked how the photographs he had taken to put on the small table next to his bed looked there, he had also left everything in order on his desk, from his laptop to the smallest of his pencils.

Everything was perfect. He would have really liked everything to stay that way, but things changed when the door opened and Lu Han's eyes met another guy, taller than him, with white skin, straight and slightly messy brown hair. When he noticed a couple of suitcases behind him, he smiled a little. That boy was surely his roommate!

"Hello," he greeted shyly. "I'm Lu Han, nice to meet you."

He couldn't think of anything else to add to make his introduction better. He knew how important it was to make a good first impression; after all, there was only one chance for it, and it would be terrible to ruin it.

"Lu Han..." The other boy repeated, completely serious.

"Yes, exactly," replied the blond, waiting for the taller one to introduce himself as well.

"Why are your things on the left side of the room?"

"Huh?"

That question caught him by surprise. Was there something wrong with the fact that his things were on the left side?

"Do I have to ask again?"

"No, no. I... It's just..." He tried to react so he could give an explanation. "I chose the left side of the room."

"The left side is mine."

"Huh? Why?!"

"Isn't it obvious? It's closer to the bathroom," he pointed out.

"But... I arrived before you." He tried to defend himself.

"Just move your things to the right side, that will solve it all." The brown-haired boy complained.

"No!" He answered, losing his calm. "You take your things to the right side."

He didn't like the attitude his roommate had arrived with at all. Lu Han had been nervous, thinking about who his roommate would be, but he was sure that he had to be kind towards him and he had even thought about making the effort to get along, but now that seemed impossible. Come on, who the hell had an argument on their first day?

"I want the left side," he insisted, looking straight into Lu Han's eyes. "Will you give it to me the good way? Or is it going to be the bad way? You decide."

"What...?"

He couldn't believe what he had just heard. Frustrated, he let out a sigh, it was obvious that he didn't want to have a fight, and he knew that the simplest thing was to leave the left side for the brown-haired boy so he would shut his mouth once and for all.

Good-bye to all the effort he put into arranging his things so that his side, which now was being taken away from him, would look good.

"You heard me, didn't you?"

"Yes, yes. I heard you," said the shortest. "Keep the left side, it doesn't matter."

He frowned and began to remove his belongings to leave the space free and ready for his roommate. Of course it seemed unfair to him, but he knew that it was better to avoid arguments with the other, the same person with whom he would have to live for a whole year before the next change of dorms.

The brown-haired boy left his things when at last Lu Han finished taking all of his to the other side of the room. He turned to see him and, satisfied, he smiled.

"My name is Oh Se Hun, by the way," he introduced himself, acting as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened just minutes before.

Se Hun started unpacking, completely ignoring the look of displeasure that Lu Han was giving him from his bed. Would he really be able to stand that guy for two long semesters?

Soon it was time to go to class. Luckily, Lu Han had no classes in common with his unbearable roommate. Thanks to that, Lu Han didn't speak to Se Hun again during the rest of the day.

He was lying on his bed, wondering if his roommate was going to arrive later to the dorm. The truth was he hoped so, he wanted him to arrive when he was already sleeping... Everything would be easier that way, he wouldn't have to spend time with him more than necessary. He sighed and closed his eyes, he didn't even had enough energy to change his clothes into something more comfortable to sleep. It was still early, but Lu Han didn't feel like doing anything, he was sure he would fall asleep on his bed if he just relaxed a bit more.

It was around half past nine when his phone vibrated again. Even though Lu Han was feeling exhausted, he stretched his arm until he could reach his smartphone, and opened the new message from Yun.

W-Yun:
Deer?
Are you there?

Deer7:
Yes, I'm here, Yunnie.
Hi.

W-Yun:
First day of college was crazy.
My teachers are scary. Hahaha.

Deer7:
Are they strict?

W-Yun:
More than necessary, I would say.
Who assigns homework on the first day of school?!
Anyways... How are you doing?

Deer7:
Classes were not bad, but...

W-Yun:
But?

Deer7:
My roommate...
He's an idiot! One of the worst!

W-Yun:
Really? How unlucky!
My roommate is friendly.

Deer7:
Why can't we switch places?

W-Yun:
That's life, deer.

Deer7:
Hey... I know it's early, and I would really like to talk to you some more.
But I'm already sleepy.

W-Yun:
Don't worry. Go ahead and get some rest.
I must continue with my homework.

Deer7:
Good luck with that.
Good night, Yunnie.

W-Yun:
Good night, deer.

Lu Han put his phone down and he moved a little on the bed. Maybe it was only his imagination, but the bed on the left side of the room looked more comfortable.

"Damn you, Oh Se Hun," he murmured.

To be continued.